View Single Post
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Started my daughter officiating. She loves BB and I told her it was a good way to earn extra cash while in college. Anyway - her first 7th grade tournament. Big lady in stands gripin' over every call very loudly for two days straight and all of us ignored her. Aly was calling a pretty good game. Late in the 4th Q she calls a block. It was not a "judgement" call but very obvious. The lady goes off on her but she ignores, reports foul and I inbound ball as play continues. A little later coach calls TO and lady starts in again on Aly for that call.

She asked if I would say something to this lady and I just smiled. It was late in second day- and this lady wouldn't quit. She had moved and positioned herself right behind Aly. I told my daughter that she looked young and people were going to try and intimidate her. After horn, Aly takes ball to be inbounded and positions herself on sideline. Lady starts again.

Aly puts ball down and tells lady loud enough for me to hear:

"Lady, a shirt my size costs $32.95, pants, $29.95, Shoes, $53.00 and Whistle $5.00. Buy them - then write to state and get rules and test. Take your time and read both - then take the test. Once you've passed the test you can open your mouth to speak to me or put the whistle in but until you do I don't want to see it open again."

She too got applause and we never heard from the lady again! Sometimes you have to go against everything you are told - and take care of business.