Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: i dont think so

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
So, the clock that was seen on TV was not the actual game clock. The actual clock stopped as it was supposed to and was not required to be reset.
I know I'm going to seem like a jerk, but you know this . . . how?

The game clock is not shown on the TV. Ok, I can buy that.

But if we couldn't see the game clock (b/c ESPN used a graphic instead), how do we know that the game clock actually stopped?

I think if the clock on the TV had been different from the clock in the arena, the announcers would have mentioned it. They love that sort of thing.

I know I'm beating a dead horse. Sorry, but it just seems stupid to have a kid in the truck doing the clock. You'd see so many more adjustments during the course of the game. You'd have to adjust it after every basket in the last minute of the game, b/c no kid is going to start and stop the clock exactly the same as the official scorer.

Plus, if the officials are allowed to use the replay to determine if a shot was released before the end of the period, then it HAS to be exactly the same as the game clock. And that simply can't possibly happen if you have 2 different people running the clocks.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

PA Coach saw the game and related the story on McGriff. He said that there was nothing wrong with the clock in the United Center and no adjustment was made. ESPN simply corrected their onscreen clock. I believe that I also read that it had happened previously in the game. I don't have any reason to doubt him but I am relaying the story second hand. He saw the game, I didn't.

Tony

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hmmmm, what was a Pennsylvania coach doing in Chicago at the United Center? Get Mason on the phone.

Ok, ok, I can buy that somebody saw it in person and the clock was ok. But am I out to lunch on my last point about the graphic not being reliable for determining if a last-second shot was released on time?

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

In such a case, I think the officials would be looking at the red light behind the backboard, wouldn't they? But if they were using the clock, they may want to make sure it's the inset of the actual game clock.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
In such a case, I think the officials would be looking at the red light behind the backboard, wouldn't they? But if they were using the clock, they may want to make sure it's the inset of the actual game clock.
Going from memory (and we all know how good that is), I believe the order is horn (assuming the playback has sound), then red light, then game clock or time coding of the tape.