View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: i dont think so

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
so yall are saying the officials just came up with 5.5 to give arkansas a chance to foul quick and try to win? i think the clock that we all saw on t.v. is pretty accurate. it is the actual game clock graphic, kinda like the picture in picture on some t.v's. it seems illogical to bring your own clock and have someone try to start and stop it. their is a camera set up to capture the game clock and on some games the shot clock.
No, that's not what we're saying. crew, I don't just make things up. Pasted below is the post from the McGriff board by a poster who saw the game.

INITIAL POST
***They need to fix that clock at the University of Illinois. Rut, maybe you can jump on them. I had taped the last part of the Illinois-Arkansas game the end of the game was a good one. Lead waves a basket off by Arkansas as the Arkansas kid charged. It was about as close a call of that kind as you could ever get and I think a frame-by frame replay shows that he was right to not count the basket.

Anyway the clock they are showing in the lower right hand corner would skip whole seconds and then add them back in and it totally skipped the last second after the charge occured. It would go from 6.3 to 5.2 to 5.1 to 5.0 then 5.9. Real goofy. They put five seconds or so back up because the clock operator forgot to shut it off during the throw in after the last basket by Illinois. I don't know if that is the clock at the fieldhouse there that they are showing in the corner of the screen but somebody needs to fix it.

I watched this game and the announcers confused things thanks to ESPN's own technical problems. ESPN didn't show a picture of the clock in the corner, they showed a graphic with what was supposedly on the clock. Often I've seen these graphics jump around like that, like they can't change every 0.1 seconds so it looks funny. It will go from 8.0 to 7.9, but the seconds digit won't change fast enough and it'll look like 8.9 for a moment.

There was about 11 seconds left, and Illinois scored. If I'm not mistaken, the clock should've stopped until the ball was inbounded. In the graphic, it didn't. (I'm guessing on the actual clock, it did.) It was about five seconds that the graphic was clicking off seconds while the ball was dead or before it was touched by a player inbounds.

Why their graphic doesn't actually match the clock, or why they don't just have a picture of the arena clock I don't know.

So, the clock that was seen on TV was not the actual game clock. The actual clock stopped as it was supposed to and was not required to be reset.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith