View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

If anyone watched the Illinois-Arkansas game this past weekend you saw a good example of an anticipated foul call that ended up in this case costing Arkansas the game. The score was either tied or Arkansas down by one when with 5 seconds remaining in the second half one of Arkansas's guards drove the lane. One of Illinois' defenders was in the lane set up to take a charge. The Arkansas guard avoided hitting this defender, but another Illinois defender moved in, but only after the Arkansas player was already airborn. The whistle came from the lead official on the base line and was blown with the anticipated charge from the first defender. The official had to make a call and he came out with an offensive foul (charge). The basket was disallowed and Illinois won the game.
The call after watching a slow motion relay showed that the proper call was a block on the Illinois second defender who moved into position after the UA guard was already airborn. It cost Arkansas the game.
What is my point? I have always worked hard on a slower whistle to avoid this type of call. We are all guilty some time or other in making the quick, anticipated foul call. In this case it was a critical call. Let the action happen before blowing the whistle. At least that is what I attempt to do. IMHO, there could have been or should have been a double whistle on that play since the play originated from slot's primary, but the only whistle came from the lead official on the baseline.
We have all been in situations like this when it is a bam-bam play that happens so quickly. Also, we don't have the benefit of a slow motion replay and it is a judgment call. I am not being critical of the official, just a simple reminder of a lesson learned for myself to see the action happen before blowing my whistle on an anticipated foul.