The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You got a problem with it, wanna fight about it? (That is for my Family Guy friends. )
My kids watch that all the time. The few times I've seen it, it loks pretty funny.

Quote:
I only used the signal during college games. I would only use it a handful of times an entire season. I just think the signal is best used during specific situations and should be used sparingly.

Peace
I agree.

I agree.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
My kids watch that all the time. The few times I've seen it, it loks pretty funny.
You let your kids watch that show? I would find it hard for most kids to completely understand. The references on that show are often very adult from the standpoint that you have to be older to understand the pop culture reference.

Quote:
I agree.

I agree.
You are not going to beat me up now are you?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:40pm
M.A.S.H.

Interesting changes...I agree I like the new mechanic as it gives information if used properly.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You let your kids watch that show? I would find it hard for most kids to completely understand. The references on that show are often very adult from the standpoint that you have to be older to understand the pop culture reference.
They understand most of it. I agree there's a few things that go over their head. It's not much different than when I was a kid, Rocky and Bullwinkle was a favorite of mine. It wasn't until much later did I see some of the adult references.

Quote:
You are not going to beat me up now are you?
Naw, I'll just slap you silly.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Naw, I'll just slap you silly.
You know I was not afraid of the rap music or the hood someone came from, but now I am very afraid.

Peace
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Before we know it high school rules will be the same as college....
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Some thoughts:
1. All warning horns are now sounded 15 seconds prior to the end of the timed interval.
2. The wording change on an opponent "touching" a dribble codifies what we have previously allowed.
3. The legal touching to end a throw-in is going to have further ramifications. We'll have to wait and see if the timing rules are also going to be changed so that the clock starts when a throw-in is legally touched. Right now it starts when the ball is simply touched.
4. Whether we think that the adding of the NOT closely-guarded signal is good or bad, we can at least stop nitpicking its use by NFHS officials.
5. Good editorial clarifications: hard items in the hair are prohibited, screener must stay vertical and with feet shoulder width apart, adding deceitfully to the delaying returning after being legally OOB.
6. The Fashion Police strike again as "Uniforms" is the #1 POE.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue May 01, 2007 at 02:23am.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Yup, good to know that we have to be the fashion police as a POE. Isn't there more important stuff for us to worry about?
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 08:36am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
NFHS is known for following college by a year or two.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 02:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

So now we have a player foul out and there will be a horn FIVE SECONDS after we start the clock? Wow.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
So now we have a player foul out and there will be a horn FIVE SECONDS after we start the clock? Wow.
Yeah - seems a bit much to me. The whole point of a horn used to be "you have only a small fraction of your allotted time remaining."

That said - the first coach who "loses track" of time is going to get pissed and probably earn himself a second T along with a trip to the locker room. After that, every coach will be rushing someone to the table at the first horn.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Yeah - seems a bit much to me. The whole point of a horn used to be "you have only a small fraction of your allotted time remaining."

That said - the first coach who "loses track" of time is going to get pissed and probably earn himself a second T along with a trip to the locker room. After that, every coach will be rushing someone to the table at the first horn.
Actually, I think that the change will make things simpler for the coaches. We can now tell them that once a warning horn sounds, they have 15 seconds to get their players whereever they are required to be.

I envision this.
A situation arises in which a timed interval is needed and the official instructs the timer to start the clock. Now we wait around until...

BUZZ!!!

Coach: "What was that for?"

Official: "It means you've got fifteen seconds, coach."

Coach: "Ok."
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 02:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
I would not go that far. None of the new rules that I can tell this year have anything to do with the college game. The only thing added was a signal, which is not really a rule. I would not be surprised if some areas choose not to use the signal which is completely their right to do so.

Also understand that the NF tries to keep things as simple as possible when they create or change rules. Even when they adopt a college rule, the NF does not usually take on the entire rule. For example the Team Control Foul that was adopted 2 years ago did not take on all facets of the rule and still is not identical to how the college rule reads. Even POI is not the same as the NCAA Rule. They try to keep things simple so the rookie official to the 50 year veteran can handle the understanding. Not that it always works, but that appears to be their goal.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed May 02, 2007 at 02:57am.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 02:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have talked about this before. Illinois about 4 years ago used a NF Experimental Rule by saying that substitutions had to be done immediately. When this rule was first applied I thought we would have many Ts and problems because coaches would try to test officials. I was absolutely wrong on my first impression. It was amazing when a player would foul out, before the calling official would report the foul to the table, the coaches would have subs at the table or on their way to the table when a foul was called. Now if coaches could adapt having to make a substitution "immediately" as the language was used, they can adapt to this. I am still trying to figure out why they have not gone to the "immediately" language if the objective is to move the game along. Many officials here loved the rule because coached did not seem to dare test officials and the language of that rule. I think coaches can adjust to a horn 5 seconds into the clock being started.

Peace
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 10:22am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
It may be a situation where you inform the coach he has 5 seconds to choose a sub once the clock starts on this particular disqualification. You then walk slowly to the reporting area and say "S-T-A-R-T T-H-E C-L-O-C-K."