The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Whether it was one stride or not is a judgment call.

Thinking that 2 strides was necessary though under NFHS rules is simply not understanding time/distance principles correctly under those rules. That was exactly what you tried to claim SeanFitzRef was guilty of.

Just saying....
I posted the rule and said, "Clearly she didn't take two strides, she didn't even take one," you incorrectly jumped to the assumption that means she needed two strides.

Show me where I said, she has to allow her 2 strides?

Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I posted the rule and said, "Clearly she didn't take two strides, she didn't even take one," you incorrectly jumped to the assumption that means she needed two strides.

Show me where I said, she has to allow her 2 strides?

But BZ, what almost everyone is saying is, the screener was set enough in this play for it to be legal, because of the speed of the play. I know and understand the rule, and understand its application in real time basketball. The defender took one complete slide step (WATCH THE RIGHT FOOT) as the screener got set (WATCH HER LEFT FOOT). I think the slide step counts as a stride, no? And as JRut said, if this is an illegal screen, we better all blow our whistles until we're blue in the face, because I've seen much worse not called.

Oh yeah, I'm done with this one. Agree to disagree.

Last edited by SeanFitzRef; Thu Apr 12, 2007 at 03:37pm.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Uh...Varsity....you know 12th grade on down and such?

MHSAA has 4 classes based on enrollment, A,B,C and D. We would be a D if we were members.
It was a fair enough question....there are people who refer to a game as a "Varsity" game just because the players are 16-17 years old...not necessarily with any relationship to a school team or a comparable skill level. I've even heard of some that refer to much younger teams a varsity games....as in middle school varsity.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
It was a fair enough question....there are people who refer to a game as a "Varsity" game just because the players are 16-17 years old...not necessarily with any relationship to a school team or a comparable skill level. I've even heard of some that refer to much younger teams a varsity games....as in middle school varsity.
That is true...my humblest apologies to Juulie!
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
That is true...my humblest apologies to Juulie!
...Michigan hoodlum.

I'd love to ref your games. Schedule permitting, I'd do it for the cost of the bridge, and you would get what you paid for.

I initially had an illegal screen. 4th time through I decided that the screen was set in line of sight (peripherally) from the side and that at least one step was allowed before contact.
I recognized that #40 barely flinched when she knocked #14 to the floor (Obvious to me that #40 didn't consider little #14 to be much of a factor).

Too, I figger the official had a real fine angle that the telephoto distorted.

Now, to judge the flop or the displacement of the legal screen I would have had to have seen the rest of the game to determine if #40 was a bully in part of the game, or if #14 had been shying from contact, or if #14 had been taking a beating for part of the game.

If #40 is a clean player and #14 is a flopper then maybe the thing gets no-called.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
...Michigan hoodlum.

I'd love to ref your games. Schedule permitting, I'd do it for the cost of the bridge, and you would get what you paid for.

I initially had an illegal screen. 4th time through I decided that the screen was set in line of sight (peripherally) from the side and that at least one step was allowed before contact.
I recognized that #40 barely flinched when she knocked #14 to the floor (Obvious to me that #40 didn't consider little #14 to be much of a factor).

Too, I figger the official had a real fine angle that the telephoto distorted.

Now, to judge the flop or the displacement of the legal screen I would have had to have seen the rest of the game to determine if #40 was a bully in part of the game, or if #14 had been shying from contact, or if #14 had been taking a beating for part of the game.

If #40 is a clean player and #14 is a flopper then maybe the thing gets no-called.
#40 is a bull in a china shop and that is probably the first time ever she has ever tried to stop when hitting a screen. She's learnin'.

There is a chance I'll be in Dumb Bear in November now that we switched to winter. Right now its a slim chance. When/if it is certain, I can let you know and if you want some preseason tourney work, you can give Dennis a holler!
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 06:37am
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:

#40 is a bull in a china shop and that is probably the first time ever she has ever tried to stop when hitting a screen. She's learnin'.

There is a chance I'll be in Dumb Bear in November now that we switched to winter. Right now its a slim chance. When/if it is certain, I can let you know and if you want some preseason tourney work, you can give Dennis a holler!
That's cool. Have you ever seen a playing floor marked up like that, with all the bright multi-colored lines?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
That's cool. Have you ever seen a playing floor marked up like that, with all the bright multi-colored lines?
Nope, the 2 times I've been in their gym, they had the tarp out. Big conferences/dinner of some sort.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The call made was a push on blue #40.
Having seen it in real time, I can see the push on blue #40 or even a no call (sorry MTD). I say this knowing that we have the advantage of looking at it many times over and knowing something is coming.