Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Thanks for being the first to do some research.
What an absurd accusation about a basketball icon that has helped make college basketball.
i would double and triple check this claim
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

LOL! A basketball icon?

The man simply loves to hear himself talk and knows nothing of the rules of the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
a basketball icon that has helped make college basketball.
Seriously?
This explains a lot. Thanks.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
LOL! A basketball icon?

The man simply loves to hear himself talk and knows nothing of the rules of the game.
Really?

So when Packer explained why Oden got the two early fouls in the Georgetown game while the sportswriters were castigating the officials for "taking the game away from the fans" he was just talking to himself?

It is interesting, but not surprising, that you guys cannot stand criticism from
those who are not officials, but can be so virulent towards a profession in which you have no expertise.

Frankly, reading the comments of many on here who second guess their refereeing brethern based solely on TV coverage, makes me wonder about your professionalism.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Frankly, reading the comments of many on here who second guess their refereeing brethern based solely on TV coverage, makes me wonder about your professionalism.
When I read your comment about Packer having helped make college basketball I wondered about your sanity.

If Billy Packer were never born college basketball would not be 1 bit different than what it is today.

Billy Packer could disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow and college basketball would not skip a single beat.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
When I read your comment about Packer having helped make college basketball I wondered about your sanity.

If Billy Packer were never born college basketball would not be 1 bit different than what it is today.

Billy Packer could disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow and college basketball would not skip a single beat.
If you say so.

However, the NCAA and CBS, which both rake in hundreds of millions of dollars for putting Packer on the games, will probably not agree with you.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
If you say so.

However, the NCAA and CBS, which both rake in hundreds of millions of dollars for putting Packer on the games, will probably not agree with you.
I doubt seriously that CBS would gain or lose a viewer if Packer died tomorrow. And I doubt even more seriously that CBS even for a second thinks Packer is responsible for the success of ncaa basketball.

I continue to doubt your sanity as well.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 07:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Really?

It is interesting, but not surprising, that you guys cannot stand criticism from
those who are not officials, but can be so virulent towards a profession in which you have no expertise.
It's also not surprising that you dick-headed, know-nothing, clueless fanboys show up here every year whining about something that you know absolutely nothing about. It's also not very interesting either. Ergo, piss off back to your La-Z-Boy and your channel changer, and resume doing what you do when you're not here annoying us.

Iow, piss off.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Really?

So when Packer explained why Oden got the two early fouls in the Georgetown game while the sportswriters were castigating the officials for "taking the game away from the fans" he was just talking to himself?

OK, since I work in the area of broadcast, does that mean that I can criticize him? Based upon your previous comment - I say yes.

Billy Packer is horrible. I do not know of a single announcer - and there are at LEAST a dozen others in my company - that thinks Billy Packer is any good at all. Obviously, you think he's talented so please explain to us one innovation that he has done to "make" college basketball. As for your other comment - Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Coach K, Joe B Hall, John Wooden - all icons. Sportscasters? Chris Berman, Jon Miller, Curt Goudy, Brent Musberger - even Dickie V would all be iconic. Billy Packer? Is a guy who has held on to a position waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past his prime (if he ever had a prime). Please tell us what you think makes him an icon?

You say we shouldn't criticize a profession that we know nothing about but yet you criticize us? Sheeeeeesh!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It's also not surprising that you dick-headed, know-nothing, clueless fanboys show up here every year whining about something that you know absolutely nothing about. It's also not very interesting either. Ergo, piss off back to your La-Z-Boy and your channel changer, and resume doing what you do when you're not here annoying us.

Iow, piss off.
Wow.

Guess you told me.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
OK, since I work in the area of broadcast, does that mean that I can criticize him? Based upon your previous comment - I say yes.

Billy Packer is horrible. I do not know of a single announcer - and there are at LEAST a dozen others in my company - that thinks Billy Packer is any good at all. Obviously, you think he's talented so please explain to us one innovation that he has done to "make" college basketball. As for your other comment - Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Coach K, Joe B Hall, John Wooden - all icons. Sportscasters? Chris Berman, Jon Miller, Curt Goudy, Brent Musberger - even Dickie V would all be iconic. Billy Packer? Is a guy who has held on to a position waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past his prime (if he ever had a prime). Please tell us what you think makes him an icon?

You say we shouldn't criticize a profession that we know nothing about but yet you criticize us? Sheeeeeesh!
Hey, Larry.

Learn to read.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
...Dictionary.com 6. Slang. a cigarette...
MTD, Sr.
When I was in HS one of our standard lines when a guy would start to smoke a cigarette was "You gonna blow a fag?" How great is sophmoric humor? A little knowledge in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Hey, Larry.

Learn to read.

WOW, you got me didn't you!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If you say so.

You misspelled "in spite of". I'm just sayin'.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
WOW, you got me didn't you!
Yes, I did
Closed Thread