The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
At my in-law's house, with a big screen TV watching a few NCAA games. When they mute the sounds, the closed captioning kicks in, so we didn't miss one word that Packer was saying.

Except that the CC wasnot working correctly and the stuff came out kinda like this:

Tha washotti %th^& in Naccut the #wsttl!! ogvbx.

It was all like that. I thought, well this is better than listening -- it almost makes sense!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Actually, Juulie, the captioning wasn't broken - that is what Billy Packer sounded like last night!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Packer is my hero

Billy Packer called a double dribble down the stretch of the St Joe's game becuase the "ball went off his leg?!?" I was examining my rules following this for the part I missed about the leg and double dribbles, but couldn't find it. Can anybody help me with this reference - billy Packer does not appear to be available today. Probably too busy assisting with an "Ask the Ref" column

Packer also made a spin move that would be envied by the best of white House press secretaries. He was discussing his comments about St. Joes being undeserving of a 1 seed, and said he was just saying that maybe they were number 5 in the country (and therefore a 2 seed). Not so fast my friends. What about the part where he said that if he was doing a playoff of the top 12 teams in the country, St. Joes wouldn't be there. He could think of 12 teams better than St. Joes 2 weeks ago, now it is down to 4. Spin away.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Re: Packer is my hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

Packer also made a spin move that would be envied by the best of white House press secretaries.
Thanks for that choice of words, Coach.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Packer also made a spin move that would be envied by the best of white House press secretaries.
Hawks Coach, I know you're in Maryland, but inside or outside of the beltway?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Billy Packer called a double dribble down the stretch of the St Joe's game becuase the "ball went off his leg?!?" I was examining my rules following this for the part I missed about the leg and double dribbles, but couldn't find it. Can anybody help me with this reference - billy Packer does not appear to be available today. Probably too busy assisting with an "Ask the Ref" column

Packer also made a spin move that would be envied by the best of white House press secretaries. He was discussing his comments about St. Joes being undeserving of a 1 seed, and said he was just saying that maybe they were number 5 in the country (and therefore a 2 seed). Not so fast my friends. What about the part where he said that if he was doing a playoff of the top 12 teams in the country, St. Joes wouldn't be there. He could think of 12 teams better than St. Joes 2 weeks ago, now it is down to 4. Spin away.
Not to defend Packer but he said,"The ball hit his leg and he picked it up and dribbled again." Which is a double dribble and is what was called.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

There was no call on the play in question. I didn't hear him say that he picked it up and dribbled again, nor did the player do so. He actually appeared to fumbel the pick-up, then retrieved the fumble, then passed or shot (don't remember which at this point in time). To be sure, I will check it on replay cause I have it all on replay TV.

And unlike Packer, if I find that I am wrong, I will admit it here

Oh, I'm sorry, Packer is never wrong, that's why there is never anything to admit!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:56pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Don't be surprised about the closed captioning. Sometimes it works, and it doesn't make sense to me. Knowing Billy Packer was on.....well, let me be gentle.....that was his cleanest language!