The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Billy Packer Gay Slur (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33403-billy-packer-gay-slur.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:02pm

Billy Packer Gay Slur

I'll just let the evidence speak for itself. As the instructions say, load the advance the video to about the 35:30 mark, and hear for yourself

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...slurs-gays.php

The interview was conducted on Friday night before the Final Four.

Junker Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:09pm

I just heard about this today but haven't watched it yet. I think everyone that enjoys basketball is hopeful this will be the end of him working the finals every year.

JRutledge Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:16pm

I am not a Billy Packer fan. But his comments had little to do with being gay.

fag out
v : exhaust or tire though overuse or great strain or stress;
"We wore ourselves out on this hike" [syn: tire, wear
upon, tire out, wear, weary, jade, wear out, outwear,
wear down, fag, fatigue] [ant: refresh]

Here is a definition of the term he used. I am sure if folks would just read a dictionary or do an internet search, you would understand the term. Not every word has just one meaning. Also Charlie Rose is a smart guy, he did not react negatively at all about the comment.

Peace

Adam Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge

fag out

Here is a definition of the term he used. I am sure if folks would just read a dictionary or do an internet search, you would understand the term. Not every word has just one meaning. Also Charlie Rose is a smart guy, he did not react negatively at all about the comment.

Peace

There is precedent for an innocent and accurate term that sounds similar to a politically incorrect phrase damaging someone's reputation.

That said, I'm not Packer fan, but would like to see his career ended for valid reasons rather than for ignorant ones.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:21pm

Quote:

fag out

Peace

I agree.

Billy Packer deserves all the minor grief that comes his way, but this is just plain stupid. I believe 'fag out' is actually British slang that's been around forever.

btw...it took me a long time to convince myself that typing "packer gay slur" into google would be a wise thing to do...

OHBBREF Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:23pm

I don't see the big deal here - since the American dictionary of slang lists this as
fagged (out) Adj. Exhausted, tired.

Which is I am sure exactly what he meant based on the sentence.
You always fagg out on that one.

I am not a Billy Packer FAN but I am tired of all this type of Crap
basically you can not say anything with out offending anyone these days.

Junker Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There is precedent for an innocent and accurate term that sounds similar to a politically incorrect phrase damaging someone's reputation.

That said, I'm not Packer fan, but would like to see his career ended for valid reasons rather than for ignorant ones.

If we're looking for valid reasons to dump him, can't we just go by 98% of everything he says is complete crap. I mean does CBS seriously think anyone enjoys listening to him. The radio announcers are 100 times better than TV.

OHBBREF Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:24pm

If it was to be taken negativly Rose would have nailed him!

Junker Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF
If it was to be taken negativly Rose would have nailed him!

Now that might be taken as a gay comment.:D Sorry, it was just sitting there waiting to be said.

JRutledge Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
If we're looking for valid reasons to dump him, can't we just go by 98% of everything he says is complete crap. I mean does CBS seriously think anyone enjoys listening to him. The radio announcers are 100 times better than TV.

Let us not be silly. We know there are people that like listening to him. For one his is controversial. He is similar to Howard Cosell with the fact that he says things that rub people the wrong way, but they listen. If Packer took away any ratings, then he probably would not be on. I am sure CBS has done the research and found that he works for their ratings. Also with all due respect he is rather good at what he does. Now he might get off on tangents where he says things that are out of line, but after all this is entertainment. It is not just about accurate information. If it was do you think Doug Gottlieb would have a job?

Peace

Junker Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:51pm

Quote:

Let us not be silly. We know there are people that like listening to him. For one his is controversial. He is similar to Howard Cosell with the fact that he says things that rub people the wrong way, but they listen. If Packer took away any ratings, then he probably would not be on. I am sure CBS has done the research and found that he works for their ratings. Also with all due respect he is rather good at what he does. Now he might get off on tangents where he says things that are out of line, but after all this is entertainment. It is not just about accurate information. If it was do you think Doug Gottlieb would have a job?

Peace

If I weren't at least a little silly I wouldn't be dumb enough to enjoy getting yelled at on the court every night. :D I agree with what you say. He certainly gets a reaction from the audience. On the other hand, he gets the big games so of course his ratings are good. I'm watching the Final 4 no matter who I have to listen to. BTW, we should get rid of Doug Gottlieb as well. Around here, most of us had enough of him when he came up with the Rick Hartzell conspiracy theory a few years ago.

jkjenning Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:56pm

Remember his age and how the phrase "we had a gay time tonight!" implied nothing more than it was a terrific night - we enjoyed ourselves! To say I'm all fagged out was common when I was a kid, and I'm younger than Packer, and we had no concept of it possibly applying to homosexuals.

JRutledge Wed Apr 04, 2007 01:57pm

Funny you said that about Rick Hartzell. I ran into Hartzell at the Big Ten Tournament in March at the United Center. I had met his wife previously who also officiates. His wife was working Women's College game before I was working a Men's College game about 2 years ago. His wife was telling me a story about a game where Rick was working and Doug Gottlieb was doing some commentating. Sometime before or after the game, Rick had just had a copy of Referee Magazine (where he was featured in an article and the situation with Gotlieb was discussed in the article) and handed it to Gotlieb and walked away. I understand Gotlieb did not have much to say. ;)

Peace

Junker Wed Apr 04, 2007 02:00pm

Quote:

Funny you said that about Rick Hartzell. I ran into Hartzell at the Big Ten Tournament in March at the United Center. I had met his wife previously who also officiates. His wife was working Women's College game before I was working a Men's College game about 2 years ago. His wife was telling me a story about a game where Rick was working and Doug Gottlieb was doing some commentating. Sometime before or after the game, Rick had just had a copy of Referee Magazine (where he was featured in an article and the situation with Gotlieb was discussed in the article) and handed it to Gotlieb and walked away. I understand Gotlieb did not have much to say. ;)

Peace

That's hilarious. I worked with his wife earlier this season at a JUCO game. She is a very solid official and we had a good time on a crappy game. I should see both of them at a JUCO camp next weekend.

Scrapper1 Wed Apr 04, 2007 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

The first time I heard an older professor use the word "niggardly", I was shocked; until I found out that the dictionary meaning is "stingy". I don't think Packer deserves a whole lot of grief for this.