The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone notice yesterday during the Villanova v. UCONN that the only time he said something it was in reference to a "missed call"? What an idiot!!!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

You are surprised by what?

Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Billy Packer is paid a lot of money to travel around the country to broadcast live commentary from college basketball games. Seems to me he has it figured out pretty well.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Granted I was falling in and out of a deep sleep. I believe I heard Billy actually get one right Saturday afternoon. However, the next time I woke up, he was back to being himself again, completely slaughtering the rules.

So according to my track counter. Billy is currently: 1 for 10 billion is getting something right. To him it's not bad, considering he thinks he's only missed one.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OFISHE8
Did anyone notice yesterday during the Villanova v. UCONN that the only time he said something it was in reference to a "missed call"? What an idiot!!!
LOL. My thoughts exactly. Every time his mouth opened he was talking about the infamous "illegal dribble" or carring violation. He seems to have fallen into a very deep sleep around 1975 and suddenly awaken to find himself calling a game in the year 2006 b/c that call is hardly ever made. "HE" made that call twice or three times yesterday. He also disagreed with the illegal screen that Hilton Armstrong set at half court in which he stuck in rear-end out to clip the defender. Billy the game has passed you by my friend.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thoroughly enjoyed it a week ago when Billy was trying to sport his vast historical knowledge to Verne Lundquist. They even had the TV graphic made out for Billy to shine. "Verne, it might surprise you, but which one of these five former national champs were an independent (did not play in a conference) when they won it all."

1990 UNLV
1986 Louisville
1977 Marquette
1966 Texas Western
1963 Loyola (Chicago)

Verne who makes a fine stumble in his own right, says "Loyola Marymount." To which Billy proudly proclaims, "No Verne, it was that '77 Marquette team led by the late, great, Al McGuire."

Uhm Billy, Loyola and Texas Western were independents also. But hell, don't let the facts get in the way of your story.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Billy Packer is plain and simple garbage. I thought Al McQuire was excellent before he died. Today Bill Raftery is the best color man
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
LOL. My thoughts exactly. Every time his mouth opened he was talking about the infamous "illegal dribble" or carring violation. He seems to have fallen into a very deep sleep around 1975 and suddenly awaken to find himself calling a game in the year 2006 b/c that call is hardly ever made. "HE" made that call twice or three times yesterday. He also disagreed with the illegal screen that Hilton Armstrong set at half court in which he stuck in rear-end out to clip the defender. Billy the game has passed you by my friend.
I didn't watch much this weekend, but I caught two illegal screens (both terrific calls) in about 10 minutes of basketball watched. I don't remember seeing many called before. Is this a POE this year in college or something.