Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let us not be silly. We know there are people that like listening to him. For one his is controversial. He is similar to Howard Cosell with the fact that he says things that rub people the wrong way, but they listen. If Packer took away any ratings, then he probably would not be on. I am sure CBS has done the research and found that he works for their ratings. Also with all due respect he is rather good at what he does. Now he might get off on tangents where he says things that are out of line, but after all this is entertainment. It is not just about accurate information. If it was do you think Doug Gottlieb would have a job?

Peace
Of course there are, the ignorant masses don't know any better, because the networks force feed them schitck...Vitale over enthusiasm, Packer overly critical of calls, Rafferty kind of combines the two...they call the games to feed the fans view, the rooting fans view.

To knowledgeable basketball fans, especially those watching because they love the game and don't really have an interest in who wins or loses, they are as annoying as a hemorrhoid.

Just because "fans" may like them, doesn't excuse how poorly they actually call the game.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Just because "fans" may like them, doesn't excuse how poorly they actually call the game.
Unfortunately, as far as the networks are concerned, it does. If CBS though that what people really wanted was a portrayal of everything that happens in a game which is completely devoid of any personal factor, they would have fired almost every announcer a long time ago. The fact of the matter is, what they say doesn't matter to CBS, as long as they keep the people tuned in and watching. Sure, most people would watch the game without the commentators, but what about all the pregame (which brings in even more ad revenue) and all the little interjections they make about products or companies during timeouts.

CBS is a business, and as long as these guys are making them money, they don't care what they do.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Unfortunately, as far as the networks are concerned, it does. If CBS though that what people really wanted was a portrayal of everything that happens in a game which is completely devoid of any personal factor, they would have fired almost every announcer a long time ago. The fact of the matter is, what they say doesn't matter to CBS, as long as they keep the people tuned in and watching. Sure, most people would watch the game without the commentators, but what about all the pregame (which brings in even more ad revenue) and all the little interjections they make about products or companies during timeouts.

CBS is a business, and as long as these guys are making them money, they don't care what they do.

I don't buy that argument, and here is why.

People tune in to watch the game, not the guys calling the game.

Undoubtedly the network does polls, and tracks mail to judge the popularity of their announcers, but I highly doubt CBS would lose one viewer of the final four if they canned Packer tomorrow.

I for one am tired of the delivery of product at the most basic level. Stop sucking the intelligence out of everything because you are afraid of losing viewers. Stop feeding the bottom feeders useless crap while making everyone else miserable.

This is the sports equivalent of the evening news spending more time on Anna Nicole Smith than real news.

Last edited by blindzebra; Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:23pm.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't it the Flintstomes who used to "have a gay old time"?

BTW, I've NEVER heard anyone say they enjoyed listening to Billy Packer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

i enjoy listening to him -- in fact I have him tattooed on my arm and I just purchased the Anywhere you go Billy Packer boombox. It randomly spits out incorrect rules and strategies. in fact I just realized but the Cd player doesn't work and the radio gets no reception except for the Billy Packer channel. odd
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Wasn't it the Flintstomes who used to "have a gay old time"?
Geeze you're right.

That explains a lot...

Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
This is the sports equivalent of the evening news spending more time on Anna Nicole Smith than real news.
Why do you think they still keep talking about Anna Nicole Smith? It is not because she was the most important person to our socieity or way of life.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Why do you think they still keep talking about Anna Nicole Smith?
Because she had big gabonzas?
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do you think they still keep talking about Anna Nicole Smith? It is not because she was the most important person to our socieity or way of life.

Peace
No it is because the CIA FBI and NCIS are all in cahoots in cuasing her death because Dick Cheney is really the father of her Baby!
and
The referees for the NCAA tournement were kidnapped by some kid who bought a new car and hypnotized them before the game - I saw it on TV!
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I hope Billy Packer never sings the Christmas Carol "Deck the halls" because when he sings "Don we now our gay apparel," some of you would think that means hes a crossdresser.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
I hope Billy Packer never sings the Christmas Carol "Deck the halls" because when he sings "Don we now our gay apparel," some of you would think that means hes a crossdresser.
Does that mean (gasp) Anna Nicole Smith is actually Billy Packer in drag? That's disturbing!!!

Seriously, what he said SHOULD be a non-issue but that's not the media world we live in. I'm sure we'll have to put up with listening to him next season.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 04:38pm
Administrator

Here is what Dicitionary.com has to say about the verb fag:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
fag1 /fæg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fag] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, fagged, fag·ging, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to tire or weary by labor; exhaust (often fol. by out): The long climb fagged us out.
2. British. to require (a younger public-school pupil) to do menial chores.
3. Nautical. to fray or unlay the end of (a rope).
–verb (used without object) 4. Chiefly British. to work until wearied; work hard: to fag away at French.
5. British Informal. to do menial chores for an older public-school pupil.
–noun 6. Slang. a cigarette.
7. a fag end, as of cloth.
8. a rough or defective spot in a woven fabric; blemish; flaw.
9. Chiefly British. drudgery; toil.
10. British Informal. a younger pupil in a British public school required to perform certain menial tasks for, and submit to the hazing of, an older pupil.
11. a drudge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1425–75; late ME fagge broken thread in cloth, loose end (of obscure orig.); sense development appar.: drooping end > to droop, tire > to make weary > drudgery, drudge (cf. relationship of flag1 to flag3); (def. 6) a shortening of fag end (a butt, hence a cigarette)]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source fag 1 (fāg) Pronunciation Key
n.

A student at a British public school who is required to perform menial tasks for a student in a higher class.
A drudge.
Chiefly British Fatiguing or tedious work; drudgery.

v. fagged, fag·ging, fags

v. intr.

To work to exhaustion; toil.
To function as the servant of another student in a British public school.

v. tr.
To exhaust; weary: Four hours on the tennis court fagged me out.

[From fag, to droop (obsolete), perhaps from Middle English fagge; see fag end.]

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
WordNet - Cite This Source fagged

adjective
drained of energy or effectiveness; extremely tired; completely exhausted; "the day's shopping left her exhausted"; "he went to bed dog-tired"; "was fagged and sweaty"; "the trembling of his played out limbs"; "felt completely washed-out"; "only worn-out horses and cattle"; "you look worn out" [syn: exhausted]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

I hope this puts an end to the idea that this was a gay slur. To be honest, I did not know the complete definition of the word, except that it was British slang for cigarette, until now. I am glad I looked up its definition, because now I have added a new word to my vocabulary. I guess this dog is not too old to learn new tricks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Because she had big gabonzas?
I don't know how big her gabonzas were but she had some bodacious ta-tas'!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 04:55pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I don't know how big her gabonzas were but she had some bodacious ta-tas'!
Spoken as an *Officer and a Gentleman*.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not a Billy Packer fan. But his comments had little to do with being gay.

fag out
v : exhaust or tire though overuse or great strain or stress;
"We wore ourselves out on this hike" [syn: tire, wear
upon, tire out, wear, weary, jade, wear out, outwear,
wear down, fag, fatigue] [ant: refresh]

Here is a definition of the term he used. I am sure if folks would just read a dictionary or do an internet search, you would understand the term. Not every word has just one meaning. Also Charlie Rose is a smart guy, he did not react negatively at all about the comment.

Peace
Thanks for being the first to do some research.
What an absurd accusation about a basketball icon that has helped make college basketball.
Closed Thread