Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton.

I agree 15 games is a ton and 10 games is 2000 pounds. In AAU ball no more then 4-6 games during a weekend. If it's a two day weekend no more then 6. Three day weekend, I MIGHT stretch it to 8. We got newer officials who needs the repetitions.
14+ this weekend (over 4 days) for me. It should be interesting to see and hear crazy psycho maniac coaches....
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton.

I agree 15 games is a ton and 10 games is 2000 pounds. In AAU ball no more then 4-6 games during a weekend. If it's a two day weekend no more then 6. Three day weekend, I MIGHT stretch it to 8. We got newer officials who needs the repetitions.
15 @ $33 game is pretty good weekend. Plus the OP is still in college and has young legs. I wish we were getting $33 a game down here.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

15 @ $33 game is pretty good weekend. Plus the OP is still in college and has young legs. I wish we were getting $33 a game down here.
$33 is alot for AAU. Joe - where are you from?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

We are getting $ 25 for AAU in Cincy
boys with 7 or 8 minute quarters
and girls with up to 18 minute stop and go halves.

not enough on the girls side.

running not more than 3 in row - 5 in day max.

But there are those young guys who work more. They are nuts.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mwanr1]
Quote:

$33 is alot for AAU. Joe - where are you from?
I'm in Georgia, and we're getting $22 for girls. 16, 18, 20 minute halves stop clock every whistle unless we can get to the mercy rule. Then it's running.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1

I'm in Georgia, and we're getting $22 for girls. 16, 18, 20 minute halves stop clock every whistle unless we can get to the mercy rule. Then it's running.
$22 per game is grossly underpaid. Considering gas price is sky high, working 2-3 games often can only cover the cost of gas driving to the gym
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 04:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
I just finished the worst weekend I've ever had.

15 games, tossed 2 coaches, gave about 10 techs.

No one has any respect anymore.

I can honestly say in 6 years, I've never considered hanging up the whistle. Until last weekend.

It just sucked.

That's why I say, you got to take care of business. Sometimes calling a technical can make matters worse.

Part of your problem can be attributed to working too many games in a row. You were mentally tired and you're not doing the game or those teams any service when you are in this state. Limit your games in a day and I think you will be fine. These coaches are paying upwards of $300 or more to play and they get out there and get some ref's that are tired and missing a lot of calls, that's a problem. You can't blame the coaches for being upset either. They should get some fresh referee's, but they got money hungry you, sucking up all the games. They paid there money but they're not getting their dollars worth. Look at it this way, you just earned your money the old fashion way. Me, I try to limit myself to 4 games in a day. I stay away from assigners who try to push me to do more.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
These coaches are paying upwards of $300 or more to play and they get out there and get some ref's that are tired and missing a lot of calls, that's a problem.
OHH That's BS - I don't give a sh*t how much money they put out. Yelling and screaming at the refs, at whatever level, should not be tolerated.

Quote:
They paid there money but they're not getting their dollars worth. Look at it this way, you just earned your money the old fashion way.
They don't pay us - they pay for their teams to play. We are not a well understood bunch outside the business. Who do you know that likes to be yelled at, degraded and threatened, knowing it will happen consistently while we work and the only compasion anyone will ever show is when we are seriously injured? Make sure to include we are grossly underpaid.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

[quote=Mwanr1]
Quote:

$22 per game is grossly underpaid. Considering gas price is sky high, working 2-3 games often can only cover the cost of gas driving to the gym
After your other comment on gas and this, you're either the king of exaggerations, you're mathematically challenged, you live in Frisco and work games in LA, or you drive someone else's Bugatti Veyron at full throttle (2.1 mpg @ full throttle).

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 05:33pm.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:28pm

Quote:
OHH That's BS - I don't give a sh*t how much money they put out. Yelling and screaming at the refs, at whatever level, should not be tolerated.
I agree with your take on yelling and screaming, but remember, they would not be doing this if you are taking care of business. Contrary to popluar belief, coaches just don't yell and scream for no reason at all.

Quote:
They don't pay us - they pay for their teams to play. We are not a well understood bunch outside the business. Who do you know that likes to be yelled at, degraded and threatened, knowing it will happen consistently while we work and the only compasion anyone will ever show is when we are seriously injured? Make sure to include we are grossly underpaid.
You need to have a gut check here. This is the type of business officiating is. Some nights are worse than others but when you put that uniform on, you gotta know it's going to be coming at you. Believe it or not, I don't have very many problems like this anymore in my AAU games until of course, I get tired and I'm not as attentive to everything I need to be. BTW, the money they collect from the teams goes to pay for you.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust]
Quote:

After your other comment on gas and this, you're either the king of exaggerations, you're mathematically challenged, you live in Frisco and work games in LA, or you drive someone else's Bugatti Veyron at full throttle (2.1 mpg @ full throttle).
Of course I'm exaggerating - DUH ! We all know it isn't $50 dollars eac
time driving to a damn gym. For me, when I officiate AAU game, I have to drive 60 miles each way (V8 vehicle). Since I'm not mathematically challenged, I will break it down for you.

60 miles each way = 120 miles. 20 miles/gallon highway & 18 miles/gallon street.

120 miles / 18 miles per gallon = 6.666 gallons
6.666 gallons x 3.69 (PREMIUM in San Francisco) = $24.60.

I don't keep track of millage anymore - it's pointless. Ohh I forgot to mention, to operate a motor vehicle cost money too (insurance, ware and tear, maintance, etc). All I'm saying is to take off time away from work and family to officiate 3 AAU games isn't really worth it for many people. BUT I love officiating and enjoy doing it. So even though I don't make much out it, I do it because i love it!!!

Last edited by Mwanr1; Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:04pm.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with your take on yelling and screaming, but remember, they would not be doing this if you are taking care of business. Contrary to popluar belief, coaches just don't yell and scream for no reason at all.

You need to have a gut check here. This is the type of business officiating is. Some nights are worse than others but when you put that uniform on, you gotta know it's going to be coming at you. Believe it or not, I don't have very many problems like this anymore in my AAU games until of course, I get tired and I'm not as attentive to everything I need to be. BTW, the money they collect from the teams goes to pay for you.

I have ignored you long enough, I just can't hold it anymore.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT

To say that you never have problems doing AAU ball is either a complete lie are you are doing 1st graders.

Yesterday, in my first game I had a nice little pregame with the coaches and explained what I expected from them, yada yada. I called a foul and the coach stood in front of the table and was blocking the view of the score keeper. I politely asked him to go back in front of his bench. A few minutes later he was out of his box again complaining. I whacked him and we moved on. After the game he came over and apologized for being out of line and said we did a great job. He also lost the game.

I was not tired or being lazy and he was acting out of line and he was wrong. That was one of 4 T's I had this weekend. The other three were basically the same scenario

Go back to fairy tail land or coaching. What ever is your reality
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to agree with several other posters here (not about gasoline prices or holding a rules clinic with fans), I don't work these games to listen to the parents or coaches act like idiots. I think it's a great time to work on certain aspects of my game management but not the time to see how patient I can be with someone who is thinking they are going to say or act in such a way to influence my calls. If it gets to that point, I choose to offer a warning and then issue the T if it continues. It amazes me how many guys will offer the warning and then don't follow it up if needed. They keep going back and offer more warnings and then they complain about the coaches. Just like others have said, issue the T and I've seen countless times where the coach will come back with an apology after they've had time to consider their actions. I don't look for it but sometimes they will learn and then next time you're on their game it's soooooo much easier.

Another thing I do with these games is make sure I am working with a quality partner who I know will take care of their business if needed.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Every single T I've called on a coach in AAU has made the game better. Funny how it works every time.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Every single T I've called on a coach in AAU has made the game better. Funny how it works every time.
perfect