The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Worst Weekend Ever (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33351-worst-weekend-ever.html)

ref18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:25pm

Worst Weekend Ever

I just finished the worst weekend I've ever had.

15 games, tossed 2 coaches, gave about 10 techs.

No one has any respect anymore.

I can honestly say in 6 years, I've never considered hanging up the whistle. Until last weekend.

It just sucked.

:(

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:32pm

What kind of games were you working? I would quit working that kind of ball before I gave it up completely.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:38pm

Has to be AAU ball.

Ch1town Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:40pm

Only 241 days until 2007 - 2008 H.S. Basketball Season Starts Thursday, November 29, 2007! :)

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:40pm

It does not have to be.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:43pm

November 19, 2007

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
Only 241 days until 2007 - 2008 H.S. Basketball Season Starts Thursday, November 29, 2007! :)

My HS seasons starts much earlier than that. I will beat you by 10 days (at least for the HS season).

Peace

ref18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:46pm

Our equivalent to AAU ball.

Yeah, I can't wait for the HS season to begin again too.

When they pay $33 a game, and you're a college student, there are factors that are going to make you keep doing it.

tmp44 Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref18
Our equivalent to AAU ball.

Yeah, I can't wait for the HS season to begin again too.

When they pay $33 a game, and you're a college student, there are factors that are going to make you keep doing it.

Ref18,

Details???? Were the ejections kids or coaches?

And $33 for an AAU game?? I wish we got that around here!!!

Ch1town Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
My HS seasons starts much earlier than that. I will beat you by 10 days (at least for the HS season).

Peace

Yeah I'm working out of "The Mile High City" by way of "The Windy City"... everything is a tad bit s l o w e r out this way.

ref18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmp44
Ref18,

Details???? Were the ejections kids or coaches?

And $33 for an AAU game?? I wish we got that around here!!!

Grade 8 boys games, ejections and T's were all coaches.

Kids are reasonably well behaved, except for the one I got for taunting.

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref18
I just finished the worst weekend I've ever had.
15 games, tossed 2 coaches, gave about 10 techs.
No one has any respect anymore.
I can honestly say in 6 years, I've never considered hanging up the whistle. Until last weekend.:(

Did you learn anything from the weekend? Was there anything in your game management that you could\'ve done to prevent 1,2 or all 10 techs? Do you pre-game the coaches and captains? I know it\'s only AAU or YBOA, but I pre-game the coaches at the 3 minute mark, and I let them know that SPORTSMANSHIP is a requirement, and their fans are their responsibility. If you let them know up front what you are and aren\'t going to put up with, then it may help during your game. If anything, it\'ll show the coach that you have your !t together. If you\'re just tossing the ball up, then they\'re going to assume that they can coach and act the same way that they\'ve always acted. And as always, players take on the same personality of their coaches. Just my .02.

Junker Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Did you learn anything from the weekend? Was there anything in your game management that you could\'ve done to prevent 1,2 or all 10 techs? Do you pre-game the coaches and captains? I know it\'s only AAU or YBOA, but I pre-game the coaches at the 3 minute mark, and I let them know that SPORTSMANSHIP is a requirement, and their fans are their responsibility. If you let them know up front what you are and aren\'t going to put up with, then it may help during your game. If anything, it\'ll show the coach that you have your !t together. If you\'re just tossing the ball up, then they\'re going to assume that they can coach and act the same way that they\'ve always acted. And as always, players take on the same personality of their coaches. Just my .02.

Well said. Those weekends suck, but I think most officials go through them, I know I did. I used to pregame only with the coaches and explain that sportsmanship was THE priority. it seemed to help sometimes. The other trick I used was when I knew I was on the same court for 5 or six games, I\'d be really quick on the trigger in the first game. Usually there were fans, coaches or players I\'d see throughout the day. Send the message early.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Well said. Those weekends suck, but I think most officials go through them, I know I did. I used to pregame only with the coaches and explain that sportsmanship was THE priority. it seemed to help sometimes. The other trick I used was when I knew I was on the same court for 5 or six games, I\'d be really quick on the trigger in the first game. Usually there were fans, coaches or players I\'d see throughout the day. Send the message early.

....AND often!!

JoeTheRef Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker

15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton. I know our AAU games are stop clock, and they scheule them every 1 1/2 hours. That\'s a lot of ball. My feet would be killing me. That\'s why I tend to do no more then 8-10 a weekend. I caught myself being sick and tired of those coaches by game 10, and anyone after that would probably feel the brunt of my patientless whistle.. :D

truerookie Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:34pm

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]15 AAU games in one weekend is a ton.

I agree 15 games is a ton and 10 games is 2000 pounds. :D In AAU ball no more then 4-6 games during a weekend. If it\'s a two day weekend no more then 6. Three day weekend, I MIGHT stretch it to 8. We got newer officials who needs the repetitions.