The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Neither is Michigan after their performance today.
The sad fact is that they will still get votes. It would be surprising, but they might even retain a top 25 ranking. Name recognition and program history have too much to do with the NCAA rankings.

This game is a prime example of why I believe that no team should be eligible to receive top 25 votes until after it has completed its third game of the season.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The sad fact is that they will still get votes. It would be surprising, but they might even retain a top 25 ranking. Name recognition and program history have too much to do with the NCAA rankings.

This game is a prime example of why I believe that no team should be eligible to receive top 25 votes until after it has completed its third game of the season.
I agree, but good luck with getting that one passed.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yo, Chuck!
Buchholz pitches no-hitter

Boston's Clay Buchholz, who wasn't even in the major leagues two weeks ago, became the 20th rookie to throw a no-hitter in baseball history Saturday night when he beat the Baltimore Orioles 10-0 at Fenway Park.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Buchholz was "wicked awesome" as the say here in New England

Buchholz was one calm and collected pitcher. The Red Sox needed him to step up and pitch and Clay did his best. Hopefully the Sox will use this game as a springboard to some consecutive wins.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What does the validity of that statement have to do with mine?

It happens quite frequently that one ranked team does not face any ranked opponents during a season just because of its schedule and conference affiliation.
I didn't mean to imply that the two were mutually exclusive. Intuitively, I would have expected a previous upset of a ranked team to be more likely than a 1-AA team finding itself being ranked (as opposed to merely garnering some votes for the top 25).

I'm curious to see who the previously ranked 1AA teams are. I'll have to do some research.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Yo, Chuck!

Boston's Clay Buchholz, who wasn't even in the major leagues two weeks ago, became the 20th rookie to throw a no-hitter in baseball history Saturday night when he beat the Baltimore Orioles 10-0 at Fenway Park.
I've been dying to get in here and post, but I turned the computer off early last night to watch the game with my dad, and then I couldn't get into the forum this morning. Anyway. . .

Not only was he still the minors two weeks ago, but he wasn't even supposed to start last night. Wakefield was scheduled to pitch but his back was bothering him. So Clay didn't even know he was pitching until yesterday afternoon, I think.

Coco Crisp made a couple of very good running catches in center field to keep the no-no going and Dustin Pedroia made an absolutely unbelievable diving stop behind second base in the top of the seventh to save the night. He was somehow able to get up and barely throw out Tejada, who stupidly dove into first base.

Buchholz also made a fine defensive play on a sharp bouncer right back to the mound. But his use of multiple pitches at any point in the count was really what kept the Orioles at bay, I think. He threw a fastball, curveball, slider, and change-up and used them all perfectly. (Last pitch of the game was a curve or change-up -- I couldn't tell for sure -- and Joe West took so long to ring it up that I thought he called it a ball. I yelled at the TV and then West gave the signal and Tek jumped out of his crouch.)

The only disappointment of the whole night is that nobody gave him a cream pie to the face during his post-game interview. Poor kid had a hard enough time talking, though. He just had no idea what to say. He could've used a little coaching from Crash Davis for the interview.

First Red Sox rookie to throw a no-hitter. Only the third pitcher ever to throw one in his first or second career start. Veritek has caught Boston's last three no-hitters (Nomo @ Balt, Lowe @ Tampa Bay, Buchholz vs. Balt). The only player to catch more no-hitters than Veritek was a guy who played for the White Sox in the late teens and early 1920's.

Buchholz was drafted by the Red Sox using the draft pick they received as compensation from the Mets when NY signed Pedro as a free agent.

Great night!
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

With all the good feelings around Boston this morning, I really feel bad mentioning that the M's lost again last night, 2-1 to the Jays. I'm pulling for you guys, DJ, but you gotta get something going out there!
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
With all the good feelings around Boston this morning, I really feel bad mentioning that the M's lost again last night, 2-1 to the Jays. I'm pulling for you guys, DJ, but you gotta get something going out there!
The Mariner's can't even bat in order. Sheesh!
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I yelled at the TV and then West gave the signal and Tek jumped out of his crouch.)
I always pictured you as cool, calm, and collected, but you really are quite emotional.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 11:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Wrong team, Mick. It was the Jays. And according to the Beisbol Forum, the umpires enforced it wrongly too.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Wrong team, Mick. It was the Jays. And according to the Beisbol Forum, the umpires enforced it wrongly too.
"I see!", said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Thanks, JR.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 02:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
"I see!", said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Was he going to build a seesaw?
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 06:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
That wasn't the M's...but they did actually look like a baseball team today!! Two more of those would be real good!
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thank goodness the off-topic baseball thread is back on topic again!
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
That wasn't the M's...but they did actually look like a baseball team today!! Two more of those would be real good!
I was real glad to see you guys break out of that losing streak, especially knocking Roger out after only 4 innings. Now if the Sox could just take advantage of it. They're trying to give away the game after leading 10-1. It's now 13-9.

And sorry to get off-topic again, but I just got a frickin spam PM from some loser named Estrellito. Spam private messages?!?!?