The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Florida v. UCLA

I don't have any particular rooting interest in any of the Final Four games, but it seemed to me that the Florida players were quite expressive in their disapproval of calls throughout the evening. Am I alone in thinking that?

With one exception (which I'll mention below), I didn't think there was anything atrocious (read: T-worthy), but it just seemed like it went on sufficiently that someone should have done something about it. My $.02, anyway.

The one play which seemed bad to me was when Noah picked up his second foul near the end of the first half. He first gestured his disapproval in a manner that was similar to his teammates' various disapprovals, but then it seemed like -- just before the camera cut away -- he yanked on his jersey, pulling it partially out, and gave a more demonstrative disapproval. I did not get a great look at it, but that was my reaction. Did any other neutrals out there notice that (or can someone who can play it back let me know if I saw that wrong)?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19

The one play which seemed bad to me was when Noah picked up his second foul near the end of the first half. He first gestured his disapproval in a manner that was similar to his teammates' various disapprovals, but then it seemed like -- just before the camera cut away -- he yanked on his jersey, pulling it partially out, and gave a more demonstrative disapproval. I did not get a great look at it, but that was my reaction. Did any other neutrals out there notice that (or can someone who can play it back let me know if I saw that wrong)?
You saw it right. He threw a hissy fit. Stomped his l'il foot, pouted, threatened to hold his breath until he turned blue.....the whole 9 yards.

It's all part of his regular act.

It might have something to do with him being part French.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not get a great look at it, but that was my reaction. Did any other neutrals out there notice that (or can someone who can play it back let me know if I saw that wrong)?
You saw exactly what happened.

Coach Donovan took him out for an ice cweam after the game to make him feel all better, though.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't get to see the game, but I've been totally unimpressed with Florida's sportsmanship throughout the tournament. It'd be nice to see someone give a T or two.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have any particular rooting interest in any of the Final Four games, but it seemed to me that the Florida players were quite expressive in their disapproval of calls throughout the evening. Am I alone in thinking that?

With one exception (which I'll mention below), I didn't think there was anything atrocious (read: T-worthy), but it just seemed like it went on sufficiently that someone should have done something about it. My $.02, anyway.

From what I could tell on the TV, there was not much contact (if any) there. The reason he may not have gotten a T is that the offiical may have wished he had passed on the foul....some officials do give a litlte more rope when they make a poor call.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw this too and he yelled f**k as he was pulling his jersey out. The calling official (I believe) had already turned away from him to report. I did wonder if they would have called a T if they saw this act.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

This was discussed before on this website. Pulling out the jersey is not a T in NCAA Rules. Before the NF made this a T'able offense, I would have never have ever looked at this in itself as something unsportsmanlike. This is mainly a NF creation.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Rut
I think that if the jersey being ripped out is part of the overall display of displeasure in NFHS they are probably going to get Whacked. I did it yesterday.

But if they are taking out the jersey you can use that to get them out of the game without a T also.

I try to use the tucked in jersey as a little control thing, by constantly emphasising it during dead balls, it lets the players know that you are looking around that you are aware of what is going on on the floor - you can use this as a tool to be able to talk to players who are giving you problems covertly if necessary.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
I saw this too and he yelled f**k as he was pulling his jersey out.
Not quite. The explitive happened much later as he was nearing his bench for the timeout. It was certainly not at the point the foul was called nor was it at the same moment as the shirt was pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
The calling official (I believe) had already turned away from him to report. I did wonder if they would have called a T if they saw this act.
In fact, I'm betting the official had already reported the foul by that time....and was starting the timeout....was probably not even seen.

If he had done what he did AND said what he said at the time the foul was call, I would have expected it would be seen and would be T'd.

Of course, I can't figure out why (in a different game) Greg Oden doesn't get a T for hanging/swinging on the rim when his feet hit the backboard. Even if he needed to hang on for safety, there is no need to pull up so hard that his feet get 9+ feet off the floor.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy
Also wondering if anyone saw the missed over and back violation in the 2nd half. Might be the only time I can remember Packer being right about something. Pretty big play too as Florida went up 13 instead of 8 or 9.
If it is the one I remember Packer going on about, it bounced off the defender's foot and into the backcourt....not the dribbler's foot as Packer asserted.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
If it is the one I remember Packer going on about, it bounced off the defender's foot and into the backcourt....not the dribbler's foot as Packer asserted.
Agreed. Good no-call.