The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

1st call - Player Control. Position was established well before the shooter left the floor. Valentine must have come in when the C didn't pick it up. (Right in the middle of the lane - could go either way.)

As for the hold call - it was such a blatant hold, and on a deep rebound, that I think it was a good call to make.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:56pm
Lighten up, Francis.

From the the Block/Charge guidelines on nba.com:

Quote:
A defensive player is permitted to establish a legal guarding position in the path of a dribbler regardless of his speed and distance.

A defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive play-er once he has started his shooting motion.

A defensive player must allow a moving player the distance to stop or change direction when the offensive player receives a pass outside the lower defensive box.

A defensive player must allow an alighted player the distance to land and then stop or change direction when the offensive player is outside the lower defensive box.

A defensive player is permitted to establish a legal guarding position in the path of an offensive player who receives a pass inside the lower defensive box regardless of his speed and distance.

A defensive player must allow an alighted player who receives a pass the space to land when the offensive player is inside the lower defensive box.

A defensive player must allow a moving offensive player without the ball the distance to stop or change direction.

The speed of the offensive player will determine the amount of distance a defensive player must allow.

If an offensive player causes contact with a defensive player who has estab-lished a legal position, an offensive foul shall be called and no points may be scored.

A defensive player may turn slightly to protect himself, but is never allowed to bend over and submarine an opponent.

An offensive foul should never be called if the contact is with a secondary defensive player who has established a defensive position within a designated "restricted area" near the basket for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul.

The "restricted area" for this purpose is the area bounded by an arc with a 4-foot radius measured from the middle of the basket.

EXCEPTION: Any player may be legally positioned within the "restricted area" if the offensive player receives the ball within the Lower Defensive Box.

The mere fact that contact occurs on these type of plays, or any other similar play, does not necessarily mean that a personal foul has been committed. The offi-cials must decide whether the contact is negligible and/or incidental, judging each situation separately.
Good call, All Heart.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:57pm
Huck Finn

Oden's play was a PC and I think it would have had an impact on the game because Oden would have sat down.

I don't have a problem with the hold call because it was correct.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that Oden was allowed to pull up on a dunk AND slap the backboard on either side after he dunked. IMO it shouldn't matter how big a game is - if they do something like this it should be a technical foul. Maybe Hank Nichols should send a representative around to talk to the teams and remind them that although the offiicials do not want to call something like this it will be called if it happens.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Can you believe this article???

http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10100591
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
No because he started his habitual motion. From my understanding the NBA rule is that you must have LGP before the player starts their habitual motion. Is this not correct?

"A defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive play-er once he has started his shooting motion."

From the NBA's online rulebook (http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_index.html) under the Block-Charge link.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvol
Wow.

Did he have that written before the game tipped?

The worst part is that "Foul officiating robs us of chance to see real Oden, Hibbert" is posted as a headline on the site.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
What I do have a problem with is the fact that Oden was allowed to pull up on a dunk AND slap the backboard on either side after he dunked. IMO it shouldn't matter how big a game is - if they do something like this it should be a technical foul.
When I saw this I went uh oh because I was expecting a technical. You've got to wonder if this would have been called in a regular season game. (Let me know if that is how they've been calling it all year)
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

He is one of those writers who gets the FANATIC fans to read his stuff cuz he is just like them. Got to get readers somehow, and that is his way.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Is that a charge on Oden?

I haven't seen a replay yet, but that looked like an obvious charge on Oden. That play completely changed the momentum of the game. Georgetown was getting close and that really took the air out of them.

I know I've seen a lot less called for a charge this year, but I just wanted to get some consensus on that call. I'm not one to jump on close calls, but I thought that was pretty clear-cut.

I also found it dubious that Ohio State fans were clamoring for Ted Valentine before the game:
http://sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/1936260
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You know what they say about people with opinions right?

Peace
For those that don't, I'll tell ya. Opinions are like a$$holes -- everyone has one, and everyone else's stinks but your own.

As for the plays in question. The drive to the basket was a definite player control. I thought so in live action, and I thought so again when I backed it up on the DVR and watched it in super slow-mo. It was definitely a late whistle from Big Teddy at lead, however, I think that he was probably expecting his partner who's area it came from to get it, and when no one else took it, he had to come in and clean up the mess.

As far as the hold by Hibbert, that was as ticky tack as they come. There was hardly a hold there at all, and as many before me stated, OSU was still going to get the ball. Where's the advantage?
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

What was the coach doing on the floor after the block!?

It doesn't matter if there was a timeout requested! A timeout was not granted until after the foul was called. The coach came all the way out to the paint to yell something to Oden!

On a side note, at 10:51 in the 2nd half an OOB was missed. This was understandable due to the contact that he was zeroing in on.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 12:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lot2
I haven't seen a replay yet, but that looked like an obvious charge on Oden. That play completely changed the momentum of the game. Georgetown was getting close and that really took the air out of them.

I know I've seen a lot less called for a charge this year, but I just wanted to get some consensus on that call. I'm not one to jump on close calls, but I thought that was pretty clear-cut.

I also found it dubious that Ohio State fans were clamoring for Ted Valentine before the game:
Really? Could you elaborate and enlighten us with your officiating wisdom?
My first question. What in the h3ll is a Hoya?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My first question. What in the h3ll is a Hoya?
No . . . what's on second. Who's on first.

Seriously, though. The word 'hoya' loosely translates from the Greek as 'what.' It comes from the first word of Georgetown's slogan/chant/battle cry of "Hoya Saxa" which means "what rocks."
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lot2
Hmm - one fan on one internet message board does not "clamoring" make. Even if it did, I doubt that too many OSU fans have the phone numbers of Hank Nichols and the Men's Basketball Committee members.