The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio State & Georgetown

I guess I will make the first post on this.

2nd Half - 6:37 - Definitely should have been a PC!

2nd Half - 8:50 - Hibbert's hold on the rebound (from my seat on the coach) should have not been called. There were 3 Ohio State players there for the rebound. NO disadvantage gained by this small hold.

By the way both of these calls where made by Valentine.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart

2nd Half - 8:50 - Hibbert's hold on the rebound (from my seat on the coach) should have not been called. There were 3 Ohio State players there for the rebound. NO disadvantage gained by this small hold.

The first call in my opinion could have gone either way. I would have likely gone with the PC foul. BTW, I think Valentine was waiting for someone else to make a call and took it because of the contact.

Second call was a great call. You cannot hold someone when they are going for the ball. If you have 3 fouls you cannot be so stupid to make that play on a much smaller player. That needed to be called and was properly.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:23pm
M.A.S.H.

The first call was tough. I thought looking at it live it was a PC, but after looking at the replay I somewhat changed my mind and thought he had it right. I agree with Jeff, that it certainly looked like Valentine was expecting a call from the C on that play.

2nd call I thought was a great call. Clearly gained an advantage by holding someone trying to get the ball.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The first one I thought was an easy PC watching it live. It was alot closer in slow motion but I still got a PC, imo.

Second one is a hold.

I think Valentine calls a good game but I have never seen him count left handed.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I thought that was a PC when I saw it live. After watching the replay I knew I was right.

It happens, but Valentine got this call wrong. Otherwise the crew had a great game, but that call might have made a difference.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The first call in my opinion could have gone either way. I would have likely gone with the PC foul. BTW, I think Valentine was waiting for someone else to make a call and took it because of the contact.
I don't see how it could go either way. If this is the NBA then it is a block HOWEVER in high school & college this is definitely a PC.

Quote:
Second call was a great call. You cannot hold someone when they are going for the ball. If you have 3 fouls you cannot be so stupid to make that play on a much smaller player. That needed to be called and was properly.
I would agree with you if there was a Georgetown player about to pick up that ball but there were 3 Ohio State players there to pick up the ball. How was an advantage gained?
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
The first call was tough. I thought looking at it live it was a PC, but after looking at the replay I somewhat changed my mind and thought he had it right. I agree with Jeff, that it certainly looked like Valentine was expecting a call from the C on that play.
What made you change your mind?

I don't think that he is expecting C to make the call this is Lead's call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
2nd call I thought was a great call. Clearly gained an advantage by holding someone trying to get the ball.
I agree that Hibbert held him BUT if you have a patient whistle then Ohio State picks up the ball and they play on. I think this is a great play to watch the whole thing and determine if there is an advantage gained.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't see how it could go either way. If this is the NBA then it is a block HOWEVER in high school & college this is definitely a PC.
It could have gone either way because it was so close. It is one thing to look at something on slow motion replay. It is quite another to call the game in full speed.

Quote:
I would agree with you if there was a Georgetown player about to pick up that ball but there were 3 Ohio State players there to pick up the ball. How was an advantage gained?
How many players were around the ball is not the issue. There was an advantage by holding the player he was standing next to. It does not matter how many other players are around. If that player had an opportunity to get the ball and he is held, that is an advantage. Maybe if the ball went in the opposite direction I might agree with you, but not when these two players could get the ball. If you do not want to get called for something, do not hold them.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What made you change your mind?

I don't think that he is expecting C to make the call this is Lead's call.
That is not true at all. The ball came from an angle where the C would have a great look at the play. The lead is not the only one to make this call and sometimes not the person to make this call at all.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It could have gone either way because it was so close. It is one thing to look at something on slow motion replay. It is quite another to call the game in full speed.
I never saw it in slow motion. I only saw it at full speed. I will be going home later to review it but this was a PC in my opinion.

I agree that it is alot harder to make that call live in a game of this magnitude. I am also not saying that I could do a better job then Valentine in this game. I am however able to point out a call that was nailed or missed. In this case I feel that he missed it. This is how we get better by watching games and determining what should be called and what shouldn't be called by rule.

Quote:
How many players were around the ball is not the issue. There was an advantage by holding the player he was standing next to. It does not matter how many other players are around. If that player had an opportunity to get the ball and he is held, that is an advantage. Maybe if the ball went in the opposite direction I might agree with you, but not when these two players could get the ball. If you do not want to get called for something, do not hold them
I respect your opinion but I disagree.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I never saw it in slow motion. I only saw it at full speed. I will be going home later to review it but this was a PC in my opinion.

I agree that it is alot harder to make that call live in a game of this magnitude. I am also not saying that I could do a better job then Valentine in this game. I am however able to point out a call that was nailed or missed. In this case I feel that he missed it. This is how we get better by watching games and determining what should be called and what shouldn't be called by rule.

I respect your opinion but I disagree.
You know what they say about people with opinions right?

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The first call in my opinion could have gone either way. I would have likely gone with the PC foul.
I agree completely.

Quote:
BTW, I think Valentine was waiting for someone else to make a call and took it because of the contact.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Second call was a great call.
I agree completely. You can't hold a guy who is about to gain possession of the ball.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
If this is the NBA then it is a block HOWEVER in high school & college this is definitely a PC.
Why? Because of the arc under the basket?
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Why? Because of the arc under the basket?
No because he started his habitual motion. From my understanding the NBA rule is that you must have LGP before the player starts their habitual motion. Is this not correct?
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 08:47pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
No because he started his habitual motion. From my understanding the NBA rule is that you must have LGP before the player starts their habitual motion. Is this not correct?
Honestly, I don't know. But I've never heard that before. It should be easy enough for somebody to check on the NBA's website.