The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the block call that Ted made was a 50 - 50 call....I also think he was prepared to pass on it until he saw the miss,..and then he had to call something.

As far as the hold on the rebound...two things...one...everyone has been calling that kind of a foul all throughout the tournament. And, two...when you hook the rebounder, you put him at a disadvantage. No problem with the call.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
As far as the hold by Hibbert, that was as ticky tack as they come. There was hardly a hold there at all, and as many before me stated, OSU was still going to get the ball.
Three things:

1) Minor contact does not mean that it's a ticky-tack call. Minor contact can give a big advantage.

2) Call the obvious!! The hold was obvious! One player is stretching and reaching for the ball and couldn't get off the ground.

3) That is the kind of play that escalates, IMHO. Get the first one and put a stop to it.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I agree with scrapper1 100%.

Plus, I am not sure why Ohio State or Georgetown would be complaining about Valentine? He works in the both of the leagues they play in regularly seeing both of these teams who knows how many times a year.

So, they should know what they are going to get when Valentine walks on the floor.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
Plus, I am not sure why Ohio State or Georgetown would be complaining about Valentine? He works in the both of the leagues they play in regularly seeing both of these teams who knows how many times a year.
Thanks to everyone on the forum for helping me become a more intelligent fan, especially on the actual rules regarding the Jeff Green "travel" in the Vandy game.

Ted Valentine did not work a Georgetown game all year until last night. He is not a Big East official any more (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ff-records.pdf page 7) and he did not work the road games at Vandy, Michigan, or Duke.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstj2
Thanks to everyone on the forum for helping me become a more intelligent fan, especially on the actual rules regarding the Jeff Green "travel" in the Vandy game.

Ted Valentine did not work a Georgetown game all year until last night. He is not a Big East official any more (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ff-records.pdf page 7) and he did not work the road games at Vandy, Michigan, or Duke.
Interesting, but irrelevant. Wait, it's not interesting either.
Even if it did correct a slight error of reporting.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Interesting, but irrelevant. Wait, it's not interesting either.
Even if it did correct a slight error of reporting.
I found it interesting, since I didn't know that Ted V. didn't work in the Big East. Any reason you decided to sound like a smug, jackass with your response?

Slight? LOL
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000
I found it interesting, since I didn't know that Ted V. didn't work in the Big East. Any reason you decided to sound like a smug, jackass with your response?

Slight? LOL
That was my edited version, for what it's worth; but I'll elaborate on my thoughts.

In a thread questioning the NCAA for allowing Valentine to officiate the Buckeyes, a first time poster jumps in and notes that Valentine did not in fact work any Big East games this year. I don't really find that interesting at all, even though I agree that it corrects (if accurate) an error in reporting. Normally, I don't comment on what I'm not interested in. But the fact that this thread is pointedly questioning the wisdom of hiring Valentine for this job makes it comment-worthy.

What I do find interesting is that a first-time poster points it out in this context. Without judging the intent, bias, or qualifications of the poster (not enough information for that), I simply wanted to point out that, as others have said, it's not relevant.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Oden's play was a PC and I think it would have had an impact on the game because Oden would have sat down.

I don't have a problem with the hold call because it was correct.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that Oden was allowed to pull up on a dunk AND slap the backboard on either side after he dunked. IMO it shouldn't matter how big a game is - if they do something like this it should be a technical foul. Maybe Hank Nichols should send a representative around to talk to the teams and remind them that although the offiicials do not want to call something like this it will be called if it happens.
Oden sat down for 17 minutes in the first half and OSU won the half.
I don't know if the call was correct or not....but Ohio State can play pretty well with Oden sitting down.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Oden sat down for 17 minutes in the first half and OSU won the half.
I don't know if the call was correct or not....but Ohio State can play pretty well with Oden sitting down.
They won the half? I thought this was baseball, not tennis!
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvol
This was a common theme in this morning's sports talk radio. This game was hyped as a battle of the titans, but the giants involved spent a lot of time on the bench. Since officials are an easy target, the bulk of the criticism has been directed at them. After all, other than this forum's members, no one tuned in to the game to watch the officials.

Some day a commentator or columnist will say something like, "Too bad Oden wasn't smart enough to not get such a dumb foul on that illegal screen."

Don't hold your breath.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

We should keep in mind that Greg Oden has been in foul trouble all post season in just about every game. Even his games in the Big Ten tournament he has been on the bench for many minutes for the same reasons I just stated. I think officials have been consistent on the type of fouls they have called on Oden.

Also two of Hebbert's fouls were pretty obvious. Hebbert's 4th foul he hit the shooter in the face while trying to block a shot (and missing). Then on this 5the foul he grabs a player clearly preventing him from getting to a ball. I did not see the entire game, but those are just two fouls and they were pretty obvious at critical points of the games. And from what I remember Hebbert had foul trouble also most of the tournament.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

This must have been a tough year for Oden. He looks like a 40 year old man.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
No . . . what's on second. Who's on first.

Seriously, though. The word 'hoya' loosely translates from the Greek as 'what.' It comes from the first word of Georgetown's slogan/chant/battle cry of "Hoya Saxa" which means "what rocks."
Almost entirely correct, but not quite precise. Typical of a GW grad.

The Hoya part is actually the Greek exclamation not the interrogative. (BTW the saxa is Latin.) So "Hoya Saxa" would be better translated as "Such rocks!" Truly the focus is not on the word "what" or "such" but rather on the exclamation point, so one could really write just "Rocks!"

Georgetown Prep even has a little exclamation point as a mascot that hops around at games.

There are differing stories on the origin of the cheer.

1. The cheer comes from back in the day when Georgetown had a notable football team and the spectators were extolling the play of the defensive line.

2. The baseball team used to be called the stonewalls and that morphed into the cheer.

3. There is a stone wall that encircles most of the campus and what used to be the location of the athletic field. The spectators used to sit upon this to view the games. This rock wall became associated with the students that entered the campus.

PS In days long gone, students had to pass both Latin and ancient Greek in order to graduate from the school.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Almost entirely correct, but not quite precise. Typical of a GW grad.

The Hoya part is actually the Greek exclamation not the interrogative. (BTW the saxa is Latin.) So "Hoya Saxa" would be better translated as "Such rocks!" Truly the focus is not on the word "what" or "such" but rather on the exclamation point, so one could really write just "Rocks!"
Hey - I just go by the information that Georgetown gives me. Not my fault if most of their students and their spirit department doesn't know the proper meaning of their own cheer/mascot.

http://guhoyas.cstv.com/trads/gu-hoya.html

Quote:
Georgetown Prep even has a little exclamation point as a mascot that hops around at games.
Wow - as much as I love grammar, I'm glad I didn't get a job there.

Quote:
There are differing stories on the origin of the cheer.

1. The cheer comes from back in the day when Georgetown had a notable football team and the spectators were extolling the play of the defensive line.
Hmm - sometime around 1789, then?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Hmm - sometime around 1789, then?
Shortly thereafter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgetown_Hoyas

"In the 1940s, Georgetown had one of the better college football teams in America. As the college game became more expensive, however, Georgetown refused to make the expensive investments that other Catholic universities like Notre Dame made to maintain a top-notch program.
In 1941, Georgetown played in the Orange Bowl, where they lost 14-7 to Mississippi State. They also played in the 1950 Sun Bowl against Texas Western. Texas Western, now known as the University of Texas at El Paso (more commonly UTEP), won the game by a score of 33-20.
After a 2-7 season in 1950 which included losses to the likes of Penn State, Miami, and Maryland, Georgetown discontinued the sport, which was revived in 1964 by students. Its first game drew 8,000 to campus against New York University (NYU). Today's Georgetown team plays at the Division I-AA level, competing against Ivy League and Patriot League schools."