The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

daves

Can you forward your "comprehensive evaluation" to me?

[email protected]

I am in the process of getting our local association to do more for the younger "rookies".
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Ohio - from what I know

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
In Virginia, we do not have a "license".
In Ohio, class 2 permits (up to & incl 10th grade) requires that you take 25 hours of instruction and pass the rules exam and mechanics exam with at least 75's. but, it's open book so you can probably guess that after 25 hrs of review, most pass. At the end of the second year you can take the varsity test to get your class 1 permit which I am told is closed book.

Upon passing the class 2, I was given a list of assignors...I was told of this "shortage" out there and that I would probably get called more than I wanted.

Based on that, I sent my availability in to 3 guys in my part of town plus the guys I worked for last year. Bottom line: the guys I worked for last year call me. The guys I sent avail into havent. One thing I have learned....Its polotical. I had a well known assignor tell me "sure, I'll use you every week...I'll give you a whole season's schedule right to my face....but that guy doesn't return calls....when I finally got thru...more lip service. "sure, I'll work you in" etc.

I guess I shouldnt complain....I have 32 games scheduled between now and Jan 13th. Mostly 5th - 8th. My goal is to get at least some frosh or JV experience this year to help prep me towards being eligible to work Varsity the 03 / 04 season.

Patience Right?

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question For you Varsity Test State I have a question.

So if it is so important for you to take a test and pass it to do varsity games, what happens if you have been doing varsity for 15 years or so, and one year you get 1 point short of the required score, do they not do varsity anymore? Do you hold back varsity spots for officials that have done a State Championship game because they did not get a required score? You are going to tell me the only factor is what a test score said?

Peace

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
time

in my opinion one should wait between 2-3 years before varsity. Sooner if they feel confident
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: For you Varsity Test State I have a question.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
So if it is so important for you to take a test and pass it to do varsity games, what happens if you have been doing varsity for 15 years or so, and one year you get 1 point short of the required score, do they not do varsity anymore? Do you hold back varsity spots for officials that have done a State Championship game because they did not get a required score? You are going to tell me the only factor is what a test score said?

Peace

once you pass the test for your class 1, then you dont have to take it again, providedyou renew your liscense every year following the passing grade of the class 1 permit
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Josh:

I sometimes wish it was that easy in VA. About 3 years ago, the exam was estensively revised (some really screwy questions) and we had about 35 varsity officials fail the exam and therefore, could not officiate fall ball or be considered for district/regional/state assignments. In Virginia, we play girls A and AA ball in the fall (changing to winter ball in 2002) and the exam is given in August and again in December. I try to take it in August just in case! If you took the exam in December 2000 and wanted to do fall ball in August 2001, you had to take the exam in August. However, we sometimes might do a game or two before we get the test results. That's what happended when the 35 or so officials failed. They were notified that they had to turn back the games already scheduled and take the exam again in December -- lots of red faces.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:23am
9 times

Re: time

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
in my opinion one should wait between 2-3 years before varsity. Sooner if they feel confident
I believe that only in very rare cases would an official be ready for Varsity games after 2-3 years. I hate it when I get an inexperienced partner because my job becomes much harder. I have to ref and try to keep the coaches off his back so he can ref. Most of the time these "fast movers" call a great game, but lack skills with the coaches.

Trust me, I was one of the "fast movers" and had good partners that helped me by keeping coaches off my back so I could learn what I was doing.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I feel that one would be ready to move up after 2 or 3 years experience depending on what level they worked those 2 or 3 years. I started right at the Freshman/JV level. I was fortunate to work with some quality men and women. Also, one has to be seriously working to improve themselves. I am in my second year and am contemplating moving up to at least a few varisity games next year. Of course, I am "sneaking" up to the dreaded 40 years old. If I don't make a move soon, I may never get the chance. I make it a practice to listen to my partners, they more than anyone will know if/when I'm ready.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Very good comments made by all. I only have one thing to say about "stripes" comment. You said you had good partners that helped you out so you could learn while doing, and also said you hate it when you get an inexperienced partner. Shouldn't you "give back" to them what you got from others. Really, no matter how long you wait, and it differs by person and by area, there will still be some "on the job" training that has to be done. JMHO.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

My Plan

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Very good comments made by all. I only have one thing to say about "stripes" comment. You said you had good partners that helped you out so you could learn while doing, and also said you hate it when you get an inexperienced partner. Shouldn't you "give back" to them what you got from others. Really, no matter how long you wait, and it differs by person and by area, there will still be some "on the job" training that has to be done. JMHO.
My plan is to work as many games as I can (within reason) between now and the Varsity test at the end of next year. I'm going to look into camps this summer which I'm sure will help. And of course, I'm going to try to network with the right assignors. I hope all this talk about shortage is true so I can get some of those frosh & JV opps.

Its kind of like a job....how do you get a job without experience....how do you get experience without a job.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Only a small factor

Years of experience is not a very good determiner to me. You can be doing this for 3 years and only have done 20 games over that time. And if you did not go to camps at all during that time, you might not at all be a good official. And that could go for a 10 veteran. I think the type of experience you have is much better determiner of what kind of official you will be. Not just the years of experience. I would rather work with the second year official that went to camps every year and did 150 game in one year, ranging for Freshman to JV in High School. Then the 10 year guy, who only renews his license to get about 20 games each year at the HS level, and does all rec. ball most of the time. Yeah, that veteran might have had 150 games under his/her belt, but if they are doing a rec. game, chances are they did not have to be concerned about the many things that goes on in a HS environment.

Years of experience mean very little by themselves to me.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 03:08pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Fair enough question. Hate it is probably too strong a term. I think that my partners would agree that I try to "give back." I also believe that I am a good partner. I am just a little frustrated this time of the year. My partners lately all seem to fit the "new varsity official" catagory. It seems like every night I am the one who takes care of all of the crap that happens. I guess I am longing for the partner who can hold up his half of the bargain.

It is true that there is always OTJ training that cannot be gained any other way. Sometimes we have to fall on our faces to learn and we need good partners to pick us up and dust us off. I hope (and try hard) to be the partner who does this.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: daves

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Can you forward your "comprehensive evaluation" to me?

[email protected]

I am in the process of getting our local association to do more for the younger "rookies".
I'll see what I can do. I have a blank one right here but my scanner hasn't been working right. My wife is the computer whiz in the family. I'll ask her to help.