The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I started officiating last year. I am just starting my second year by recently passing the Ohio class / tests and am Cert to ref up to 10th. A quick summary of my 60+ career games:

3rd / 4th / 5th: 50+ games
6th: 8
7th: 1
8th: 1

I like the speed of the game you start seeing about 6th grade and have decided to set my sights on moving up. In Ohio, you have to wait 2 years before you ref Varsity which is fine by me. I hear 5 years before varsity is about right. What is your opinion? I feel good about my rules interpretation but my mechanics need work. Example, I know the signals but when is it reaching in? When is it block or push vs. good physical play. Etc. I know (hope) that will come with time.

Back to the question...any Ohio guys? Whats the right path?

Thanks

Larks - Cincinnati, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

wow! 5 yrs seems a long time to wait for a varsity game. but i'm from florida so geography could be different.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 11:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Objective data

Unless you have some objective qualifications, like a test or something like that, you are ready whenever the people that assign the games says you are. And if you "honestly" feel ready, you are ready.

Some guys are ready and most are not at earlier years of experience. No different than a player going to the NBA. Only a few can make the jump quickly, like Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett. Many are like Leon Smith. So you have to take your time and only the powers that be and you can make that determination.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard LARKS

There are many variables that figure into the equation of "When do I move up?" I suggest that you find a strong mentor that is willing to work with you; to give you candid, constructive criticism. Also, you should be willing to work games wherever and whenever you can get them. Hopefully working them with a strong, experienced partner.

Bottom line: You need to get a feel for the game, and get feedback from "qualified" veterans. Then You should be comfortable to know when you are ready.

P.S. "Reaching in" is not a foul. ILLEGAL CONTACT with the hands is. (Just a "pet peeve" of mine) Also note: OVER THE BACK does not exist... However, Pushing(w/ the body) can occur in a rebounding situation.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

you could break the leg of one of the varsity officials for the game and take his spot.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Back to the question...any Ohio guys? Whats the right path?
Larks - I'm in Cleveland, have been working since last November, and have a full JV schedule lined up this year - my second. I've been to two three-man camps this past summer, and have been told by more than one varsity official that I "do a good job" and should have no problems getting some varsity games next year.

Of course, over the course of the past month, I've officiated probably in the neighborhood of 8 varsity scrimmages, so that helps to give a feel for a higher level of competition, and it's always easier to go backwards (V to JV) than to go forwards (8th to JV or V).

All in all, work as many games as you can, and don't be afraid to work games where you'd feel in over your head. Just like playing basketball, you don't get any better unless you run with better players--and I think that holds true for officiating, as well.

Good luck!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Wow, I didn't know anyone was that serious about 3/4/5th grade ball. My career has only seen 5 games at that level. Camps and summer league is the only way to get yourself ready for a Varsity schedule. A JV schedule is what I have done all my career so just do it.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Moving Up / Camps

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Wow, I didn't know anyone was that serious about 3/4/5th grade ball. My career has only seen 5 games at that level. Camps and summer league is the only way to get yourself ready for a Varsity schedule. A JV schedule is what I have done all my career so just do it.
Actually, I'm not that serious about 3rd / 4th. Its where I have found myself getting started based on who assigns me.

I have already taken the advice listed in this thread by finding a mentor to work with. This tuesday I am actually going to watch him officiate including participating in their pre-game. It sounds to me like I just need to network with the right folks. I've been in sales my entire career so I think I can handle that.

Hey williebfree, you're right about the Reach and over the back. Illegal use of hands and pushing are the correct calls.

Speaking of camps....anyone know of any websites that has info on camps? Anyone know of any in or near Ohio?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

PHil bova camp is a good camp. im not sure where it is held, but im from toledo, ohio and i think its held at KENT ST. University. but what williefree be says in the earlier response is totally right. i am a young official myself, who started at 14 and have a full JV schedule in my 2nd year. take your varsity test asap, and get it out ofthe way. just cause you pass the test, doesnt mean you will get varsity games. i have a fellow official who mentors me, and he has given me some JV games that varsity offficials assign. the best thing you can do for yourself is read the rule book, check out this great website, ask questions, go to camps, have some mentors to guide you along the way,and officiate each game as if it is your last. But most importantly, be patient. you dont want to rush and get blackballed, or get in a situation where you dont want to officiate anymore. let the games come to u, and dont be a butt kisser. i think people will realize the hard work you put into the game, rather than into kissing someones behind. plus, kissing someoens behind will only get u so far.....
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

In our association you move up when our board says you move up. We have a rookie advisor(me) who evaluates all the rookies and gives them helpful tips for improving. We also have a pretty comprehensive evaluation form that the rookie will give to a senior official who has observed him/her. The more evaluations turned in, the better your chances are of moving up. When our rookie advisor feels an official is ready to move up, he brings it before the board and the board votes on whether to move that official up. Some of our officials will move up after only 1 year. Other officials may never move up and those rare few end up giving it up. Once you move up you are given just a few lower level varsity games along with a whole bunch of better JV games. Attending a camp is helpful for an official wanting to move up. Another thing that is highly regarded is watching the senior officials do games. Talk to those officials at halftime or after the game. Ask a lot of questions(respectfully), listen and learn. Above all, be open to constructive criticism. Don't make a lot of excuses about why you did or did not do something. Good luck and have fun out there.

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 12:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Do not quite understand.

So glad I do not have to go through what Daves and Josh have to go through. If you are good enough, you get to move up. None of this test taking or doing things that have nothing to do with the court. You are good, you move up. That simple as far as I see.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Re: Do not quite understand.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]So glad I do not have to go through what Daves and Josh have to go through. If you are good enough, you get to move up. None of this test taking or doing things that have nothing to do with the court. You are good, you move up. That simple as far as I see.

what did u exactly mean as far as not having to go through what i did?
but, either way, i wish it was that easy to move up here around Toledo. i am taking the varsity test this year, but in Michigan, the state doesnt mandate a test to be registered as a varsity official. In Michigan,I have a quicker chance of getting my first varsity game possibly this year in Michigan rather than Ohio. myself, i have quite a bit of experience and have been exposed to some of the better officials in our association, some of who officiate at the collegiate level. so i have been able to learn some things from them as well. i feel as an official you have to be confident in your abilities, and the confidence comes with the knowledge of the rules, as well as good sound mechanics, as well as good skills in preventative officiating and game management. but if you are good enough, eventually you will move up period.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink What I mean is.....

if someone thinks you are good, you work varsity. You do not have to take a test, or prove that you can officiate by any other means that you being good. And even if you think you are good, evaluations from coaches and other officials will not keep you there if you are not.

I just do not see the purpose of taking a test to be a varsity official, they cannot ask you any question that is going to give you game management skills or prove that you can handle situation on the court. Rules knowledge is one thing, but game management and court demeanor is another.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: What I mean is.....

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
if someone thinks you are good, you work varsity. You do not have to take a test, or prove that you can officiate by any other means that you being good. And even if you think you are good, evaluations from coaches and other officials will not keep you there if you are not.

I just do not see the purpose of taking a test to be a varsity official, they cannot ask you any question that is going to give you game management skills or prove that you can handle situation on the court. Rules knowledge is one thing, but game management and court demeanor is another.

Peace
i agree with you, but thast just the way things are. if anything, it keeps the good, younger, officials from officiating at a higher level that dictated by state athletic association by having to wait 2 years to even take the varsity test. the whole point is to gain experience before officiating that level of ball, but i started 3 years before i got my liscense and i felt i was a few steps ahead of the officials just coming out of the class. so yes, some officials i think are ready even before some others.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

In Virginia, we do not have a "license". We take the federation exam every year (given twice a year). My association requires a varsity official to score at least 85 on the exam and you must attend the rules clinic every year. JV officials have to attend the rules clinic every other year. We move up (98% of the time) after attending a summer evaluation program -- must be invited to the summer program based on ratings received throughout the season. We changed our rating system/procedures this year and if a JV official wants a rating, they must initiate the process by doing a self-eval and emailing/snail mailing the form to the varsity official(s) who will in turn rate the individual and send the rating form to the rating committee. Previously, the JV official verbally asked the varsity official for a rating and some varsity officials did not want to take the time to prepare a rating (a##holes). With the new system, if the JV official does not receive anything (after they initiate the form), the VP of the association calls the varsity offical and gives them a "gentle reminder" to get off their butts and do the rating.