View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: What I mean is.....

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
if someone thinks you are good, you work varsity. You do not have to take a test, or prove that you can officiate by any other means that you being good. And even if you think you are good, evaluations from coaches and other officials will not keep you there if you are not.

I just do not see the purpose of taking a test to be a varsity official, they cannot ask you any question that is going to give you game management skills or prove that you can handle situation on the court. Rules knowledge is one thing, but game management and court demeanor is another.

Peace
i agree with you, but thast just the way things are. if anything, it keeps the good, younger, officials from officiating at a higher level that dictated by state athletic association by having to wait 2 years to even take the varsity test. the whole point is to gain experience before officiating that level of ball, but i started 3 years before i got my liscense and i felt i was a few steps ahead of the officials just coming out of the class. so yes, some officials i think are ready even before some others.