Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agreed.

Who says that announcers, can't show a little bit of bias btw? I can't think of one local professional baseball or basketball team that I've heard whose announcers don't show some bias. And that sureasheck includes the people at YES that do the Yankees. Johnny Most from the Celtics was famous for it.
Absolutely - Johnny Most was an employee of the Celtics. Of course he was biased. Jack Fleming called WVU and Steelers games for years and was extreemly biased - again paid by WVU and Pittsburgh. A network broadcaster is different - not supposed to show any bias. I think JT did that throughout the game. I felt the network put him in an awkward position in that game and I also thought the post-game was over the top. I don't blame JT for being proud of his son - but I personally don't think that should have taken place. Obviously you guys disagree - that's your opinion.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 08:53am

Actually, I think it was a good move by the broadcasters. I happen to be out and had to hear it on the radio. JT was very good with his interjections, and they never crossed each other where both where trying to talk at the same time. JT also was very critical of Georgetown at times, giving what I thought, maybe not, inside information, like at times his weakness is not good defense. However, I also think both announcers got caught off-guard with NC completely dropping off in the OT. They did not expect that, and towards the end of the OT, they had to play up the fact that this team was damn near shut-out in the OT. A classic meltdown! I don't understand why NC didn't use a timeout during that run!

Now, the magic. All of the players came over to not shake the senior coaches hand, but to hug him. It was very emotional. I felt the emotion from the radio and I didn't even see the game. Say what you want but GT just coming back to win that game was emotional, but a double, to have JT senior hug his son at middle court afterwards, was truly a magical moment. That's like hitting a homerun in baseball for the broadcasters. Seeing my son coach a team like that to his first final four, from the same school that I coached. That has got to be special for that family. JT a class act, bottom line, you won't go wrong with him commentating any game.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
giving what I thought, maybe not, inside information, like at times his weakness is not good defense.

Here is some inside information....

Your weakness is not good grammar.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Absolutely - Johnny Most was an employee of the Celtics. Of course he was biased. Jack Fleming called WVU and Steelers games for years and was extreemly biased - again paid by WVU and Pittsburgh. A network broadcaster is different - not supposed to show any bias. I think JT did that throughout the game. I felt the network put him in an awkward position in that game and I also thought the post-game was over the top. I don't blame JT for being proud of his son - but I personally don't think that should have taken place. Obviously you guys disagree - that's your opinion.
I didn't detect any bias what so ever. Looks like your the only one here who had a problem with it.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Obviously you guys disagree - that's your opinion.
Well, you still got your beloved high school basketball team, Huntington.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...ll/super25.htm

"We're #8, we're #8...."

Geeze, three New Jersey teams in the top 10 too.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"We're #8, we're #8...."

Not mine - and not beloved. A bunch of thugs.

So everyone on here disagrees with me - INCLUDING Old School - enough said!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I'll go on record as agreeing with Mountaineer. Network broadcasters should be impartial and not have a bias towards a team/player. Not to say it can't work, it just has the opportunity to put folks in an awkward situation which could impact the job they do reporting on the game.

Local/team paid announcers are entirely different.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
I'll go on record as agreeing with Mountaineer. Network broadcasters should be impartial and not have a bias towards a team/player. Not to say it can't work, it just has the opportunity to put folks in an awkward situation which could impact the job they do reporting on the game.

How about network analysts? SHould somebody tell Dukie Vee about having a bias towards a team or better yet, a state? I would say a conference (ACC), but it's really only any team in the state of North Carolina? I mean even Bilas shows some impartiality, and he's a Duke grad..
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian

Let's not go to far here. Announcers don't have any control over who wins or loses the game. They know that if they want to continue to do this job they have to be good, or they will get replaced. From a coaching prospective, I'm hanging on every word this great coach says. If you're a up and coming coach, you absolutely want to hear JT talk. It's a bonus if he's talking about his own team because you know emotion is going to get to him and he might just cut lose, but he also may have more things to say. In fact, the other guy can shut up and let JT talk. I'm hanging on every word and I'm not even a coach.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"We're #8, we're #8...."

And a VA team was top dog.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 07:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
And a VA team was top dog.
Got a coupla questions for you.....

I see that this team wasn't eligible for the state championship in VA. I've heard, but don't know if it is completely true, that it's because it's basically a recruited all-star team comprised of out-of-state players whose academic standing is maybe a little(or a lot) suspect. Is there any truth in any of that? If so, should teams like that be considered to be in the same category as most high schools who have to meet eligibility, transfer and local residency rules to be eligible to play for state championships? Or should there be a separate category just for these basketball factories?

http://www.hoopsusa.com/frm_story.cfm?a=757

Your thoughts?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I see that this team wasn't eligible for the state championship in VA. I've heard, but don't know if it is completely true, that it's because it's basically a recruited all-star team comprised of out-of-state players whose academic standing is maybe a little(or a lot) suspect. Is there any truth in any of that? If so, should teams like that be considered to be in the same category as most high schools who have to meet eligibility, transfer and local residency rules to be eligible to play for state championships? Or should there be a separate category just for these basketball factories?

Your thoughts?
Oak Hill is a prep school and probably the top one in the country. They are a top rated team year after year. From what I have heard of them, they typically have 8 and sometimes 12 D1 players on their team. The school also has a B team that is their regular HS team and they are pretty darn good too. I think they would be eligible . . . but I could be wrong. Their prep squad usually competes in the Coal Classic in Beckley every year and a couple of years ago their B team came too because of a last minute cancellation. Great program and a powerhouse year after year.

Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:06pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:

Your thoughts?
One obvious question for you, JR. Are you aware of the distinction between public and private schools? Would you make the same inferences about Dematha High, a private, parochial school with an impeccable academic standing, who is decidedly not eligible to compete for MD State championships, even if they stopped accepting players from the neighboring 3 states?. Would the 'National Championships' they were awarded during Morgan Wooten's tenure there be suspect as well?
I do agree in principle that national rankings for HS teams is a ludicrous undertaking.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 04:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
One obvious question for you, JR. Are you aware of the distinction between public and private schools? Would you make the same inferences about Dematha High, a private, parochial school with an impeccable academic standing, who is decidedly not eligible to compete for MD State championships, even if they stopped accepting players from the neighboring 3 states?. Would the 'National Championships' they were awarded during Morgan Wooten's tenure there be suspect as well?
I do agree in principle that national rankings for HS teams is a ludicrous undertaking.
Would you care to re-read my original post? I was asking questions, not making inferences. I was looking for the thoughts of others, not making a statement putting down the program. I posted an article that did make inferences. I was wondering how much truth there was in his inferences.

My own personal thoughts are that this is a recruited all-star team and certainly not a normal high school program. Whether that is good or bad is up for debate.

Btw, coach, did you happen to read the recent series run by the NY Times on the many high school diploma mills/basketball factories? The ones that the NCAA are currently cracking down on? What are your thoughts on those programs?

A wise man once said "Don't hackle the messenger".

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:11am.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your thoughts?
My personal opinion is that Oak Hill should not be eligible for state titles because it is a "basketball factory" and they recruit from several states. Having said that, I wish my son would have had the talent to play on a team like that so I would not have had to pay for his college.

There are a number of private schools in the northern VA area that also "recruit" players, and a few of the programs were, and some still are, powerhouses. Flint Hill, DeMatha, St. Johns, etc., have good programs and very competitive team.