The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Father/son love fest (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33104-father-son-love-fest.html)

Mountaineer Sun Mar 25, 2007 08:24pm

Father/son love fest

Did anyone catch the end of the GT/UNC game today on the radio? It was disgusting. I couldn't figure out why they would have John Thompson doing color on that game to begin with. IMHO, it was highly inappropriate. Was he the only guy they could get? I can't remember who the play-by-play guy was but during overtime he seemed to get more excited as NC fell behind further. JT was on the air hugging players and congratulating them. I thought it was very bush-league and almost "high school".

BktBallRef Sun Mar 25, 2007 08:28pm

I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Raymond Mon Mar 26, 2007 06:52pm

I'm sure it was no different than when Bob Griese was the announcer for his son' Rose Bow/National Championship game at the end of Michigan's '97 season.

hoops77 Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:01pm

Dave Sims screaming is what was disgusting.

JRutledge Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Did anyone catch the end of the GT/UNC game today on the radio? It was disgusting. I couldn't figure out why they would have John Thompson doing color on that game to begin with. IMHO, it was highly inappropriate. Was he the only guy they could get? I can't remember who the play-by-play guy was but during overtime he seemed to get more excited as NC fell behind further. JT was on the air hugging players and congratulating them. I thought it was very bush-league and almost "high school".

John Thompson did the color commentating earlier in the tournament with GT playing. The little I heard was fine. As stated, Bob Greise did the games when his son won a National Championship at Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I had no problem then, I have no problem now. I thought Bob would not be critical of his son but he was. And all season Bob Gresie worked games with his son that year and he did not hold back.

Look, it is not like JT is officiating the game. This is a school that he is close to. His son coaches the team and he goes to practices on a regular basis. Not much different than Dean Smith. Is that any different than Dickie V and he did not go to any of those schools and you would think he was an alumnus of Duke or UNC.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
John Thompson did the color commentating earlier in the tournament with GT playing. The little I heard was fine.

Look, it is not like JT is officiating the game. This is a school that he is close to. His son coaches the team and he goes to practices on a regular basis.

And his son did one helluva fine coaching job too. I can certainly see why his Dad was so damn proud of him. Any father would be imo.

At no time that I noticed did anyone put North Carolina down in any way. Both teams played the game with class, I thought. Winners and losers.

TRef21 Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I'm sure it was no different than when Bob Griese was the announcer for his son' Rose Bow/National Championship game at the end of Michigan's '97 season.

Damn that was a classic game I was 11 or 12 at the time and remember Bob crying win Brian received the Rose Bowl MVP. That was the start of Ryan Leafs short career.

Mountaineer Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:53pm

I don't disagree with you that he did a great job on color and that his son did a great job coaching. I also agree that he should be proud. I believe though that it is impossible to be professional in that situation. If you think he was you really didn't listen. I work in radio and my company does a lot with WVU and many people I work with were even talking about it at work today. I thought he should have recused himself from his son's game. It would have allowed him to enjoy the moment even more. JMO, frankly I'm glad they won - I have them winning it all! If they do and WVU wins the NIT then the Big East will have done pretty well!!!!

jimpiano Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12pm

Quote:

I don't disagree with you that he did a great job on color and that his son did a great job coaching. I also agree that he should be proud. I believe though that it is impossible to be professional in that situation. If you think he was you really didn't listen. I work in radio and my company does a lot with WVU and many people I work with were even talking about it at work today. I thought he should have recused himself from his son's game. It would have allowed him to enjoy the moment even more. JMO, frankly I'm glad they won - I have them winning it all! If they do and WVU wins the NIT then the Big East will have done pretty well!!!!

Announcers have no effect on the outcome of a game.
Georgetown fans will enjoy listening to Thompson, and those who root against them will be even more worked up knowing the Thompson connection.

But the game is determined by the players.

Mountaineer Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano
Announcers have no effect on the outcome of a game.
Georgetown fans will enjoy listening to Thompson, and those who root against them will be even more worked up knowing the Thompson connection.

But the game is determined by the players.

DUH! Really?

JRutledge Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30pm

Quote:

DUH! Really?

Then why do you care?

Peace

jimpiano Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:31pm

Quote:

DUH! Really?

Really.

Why do you care who the announcer is?

BktBallRef Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
Damn that was a classic game I was 11 or 12 at the time and remember Bob crying win Brian received the Rose Bowl MVP.

A similiar story in NASCAR. Dale Jarrett won the 1993 Daytona 500 with his dad in the CBS broadcast booth, announcing the race as he crossed the finish line. I've listened to Bill Walton announce one of Luke's games.

Personally, I think those types of father-son moments are a wonderful part of sports. That from a fan who was on the losing end of that Georgetown victory. I have no problem at all with JT and JT III.

JRutledge Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:42pm

What about the Darrell Waltrip broadcasting his first Daytona 500 and his brother Michael winning his first Daytona 500 (the same race Dale Sr. died). That was a neat moment too. I am not a big moment of NASCAR, but I caught the very end of the race and heard the joy Darrell had when his brother was going to win the race. It was a very memorable moment in sports broadcasting.

Peace

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 27, 2007 02:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Personally, I think those types of father-son moments are a wonderful part of sports.

Agreed.

Who says that announcers, can't show a little bit of bias btw? I can't think of one local professional baseball or basketball team that I've heard whose announcers <b>don't</b> show some bias. And that sureasheck includes the people at YES that do the Yankees. Johnny Most from the Celtics was famous for it.