The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

when did we stop doing that?

Can someone explain how I got home last night?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
in the insider stuff from jay bilas it appears that he attacks the people who said Green traveled; I do not have insider, just read the summary on espn: says something like, "to those who thought it was a travel, read the rules"
I'll post the relevant part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bilas
Take a Walk to the Rulebook: I was in San Jose for the West Regional, so I watched the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game in the East Regional from afar. When Jeff Green hit the game-winning shot for the Hoyas, I did not believe that he traveled. When I heard different commentators from the different networks say with a great degree of certainty that Green had walked and the officials had missed it, I disagreed.

What Green did was a legal move and is, in fact, taught by many coaches. Green did a simple step-through move that is used in up-and-under moves and in the use of a hook shot, and is legal. I went to the Rule Book, to Rule 4, Article 66, Section 4(a), which states that once a player establishes his pivot foot, the pivot foot may leave the floor as long as it is not brought back to the floor before the ball is released. Green established his right foot as his pivot foot, pivoted, and went up for the shot off his left foot. All of that was completely legal under the rules.

It may have looked like a traveling violation to some, but it was not. When such a move is called as a travel, most coaches argue to the officials that it was a missed call.

The only argument regarding a violation that has any merit, in my judgment, is the view that Green moved his right pivot foot well before he got into his move. However, that was only visible super close-up and in slow motion. It was nearly impossible to see in real time.

I have heard some say the officials couldn't call a walk in that situation because the players are supposed to decide the outcome of the game that late in the game. I disagree. If Green had walked and it was called, the players would have decided it. But Green did not walk. What he did was a legal move under the rules. Not everyone, including me, knows the rules as well as they perhaps should, but the officials generally do. I think they got it right in the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Jay Bilas:
"Not everyone, including me, knows the rules as well as they perhaps should, but the officials generally do. I think they got it right in the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game."

Jay has just been elevated to my #1 college basketball broadcaster!

Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Green Stepped on Fosters Foot

someone email this to cbs.

Its over and dont know if its been mentioned already, but to preserve the greatness of Jeff's play, I think its worth mentioning. After going frame by frame reviewing the CBS 5x magnification of their feet, I noticed the following:

1. Jeff was pivoting to his right on the balls of his right foot, which is perfectly fine.

2. As he was doing so, Shan Foster slipped the front part of his left sneaker under Jeff's right heel which was uplifted.

3. When Jeff went to pivot back to the left (to make his ultimate shot), he shifted the weight on his right foot back onto his heel. But he stepped on Fosters sneaker, and this caused:
(i) Green had to move his right foot slightly forward as a result of stepping on Fosters foot and Foster yanking his foot away.
(ii) Foster to yanked up his left foot (a natural reaction everyone instinctually does when someone steps on your foot). If you look at the replay, if you didnt notice Jeff had just stepped on his foot, you would wonder why Foster would pick up his left foot so high off the floor and TO HIS RIGHT as Green was moving LEFT. The natural defensive reaction would have been for Foster to shuffle his left foot to the left along with Green. STEPPING ON FOSTERS FOOT IS WHAT GAVE JEFF THE OPENING BETWEEN FOSTER AND NELTNER. FOSTER WAS TOO LATE IN CLOSING THE GAP BECAUSE HE WAS MOVING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION AFTER GREEN STEPPED ON HIS FOOT.

So Green did not travel as it was Foster who put his foot under Jeffs and Fosters removal of it caused Jeff's to move forward. And Fosters instinctual reaction when his foot gets stepped on caused him to lose defensive position, and ultimately, the game.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by popejohn2
someone email this to cbs.

Its over and dont know if its been mentioned already, but to preserve the greatness of Jeff's play, I think its worth mentioning. After going frame by frame reviewing the CBS 5x magnification of their feet, I noticed the following:

1. Jeff was pivoting to his right on the balls of his right foot, which is perfectly fine.

2. As he was doing so, Shan Foster slipped the front part of his left sneaker under Jeff's right heel which was uplifted.

3. When Jeff went to pivot back to the left (to make his ultimate shot), he shifted the weight on his right foot back onto his heel. But he stepped on Fosters sneaker, and this caused:
(i) Green had to move his right foot slightly forward as a result of stepping on Fosters foot and Foster yanking his foot away.
(ii) Foster to yanked up his left foot (a natural reaction everyone instinctually does when someone steps on your foot). If you look at the replay, if you didnt notice Jeff had just stepped on his foot, you would wonder why Foster would pick up his left foot so high off the floor and TO HIS RIGHT as Green was moving LEFT. The natural defensive reaction would have been for Foster to shuffle his left foot to the left along with Green. STEPPING ON FOSTERS FOOT IS WHAT GAVE JEFF THE OPENING BETWEEN FOSTER AND NELTNER. FOSTER WAS TOO LATE IN CLOSING THE GAP BECAUSE HE WAS MOVING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION AFTER GREEN STEPPED ON HIS FOOT.

So Green did not travel as it was Foster who put his foot under Jeffs and Fosters removal of it caused Jeff's to move forward. And Fosters instinctual reaction when his foot gets stepped on caused him to lose defensive position, and ultimately, the game.
Love that funny hat you wear.....
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

How come nobody mentioned the call botched in the SIU-KU game? Julian Wright dunked the ball clearly after the buzzer but the officials still counted the goal. The before mentioned Jay Bilas even said that the ball was clearly still in his hand when the shot clock expired. It wasn't even a close call but it was blown.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops77
How come nobody mentioned the call botched in the SIU-KU game?
Probably because nobody cares.....
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

You must not have watched the game cause Chris Lowery certainly cared. Dick Enberg & Jay Bilas also both agreed that the ball was still in his hand when the shot clock expired. The NCAA should care about obvious blown calls like that.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You must not have watched the game cause Chris Lowery certainly cared. Dick Enberg & Jay Bilas also both agreed that the ball was still in his hand when the shot clock expired. The NCAA should care about obvious blown calls like that.
Yes, they missed the call. Got news for you. There ain't an official in the world that hasn't missed a call sometime. Shiznit happens. No need to puff up like an indignant little toad because of it.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am sure it was addressed and dealt with. Just because we did not discuss it here, does not mean the play was not dissected.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How come nobody mentioned the call botched in the SIU-KU game? Julian Wright dunked the ball clearly after the buzzer but the officials still counted the goal. The before mentioned Jay Bilas even said that the ball was clearly still in his hand when the shot clock expired. It wasn't even a close call but it was blown.

Very good point. Hank Nichols could not have been happy at all. It would have been different if it was a bang bang call. But it was not even close. The 3 referees who blow that simple call should be left off the Final 4. I feel sorry for Southern Illinois. The outcome may have been different if not for the horrible mistake favoring the #1 seed. Kansas got several other breaks in that game. Cheap fouls were called on Southern Illinois on one end but they allowed Kansas to get away with fouls on the other end. It is very sad when the higher seeded team gets special treatment from the referees.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 07:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenred
Very good point. Hank Nichols could not have been happy at all. It would have been different if it was a bang bang call. But it was not even close. The 3 referees who blow that simple call should be left off the Final 4. I feel sorry for Southern Illinois. The outcome may have been different if not for the horrible mistake favoring the #1 seed. Kansas got several other breaks in that game. Cheap fouls were called on Southern Illinois on one end but they allowed Kansas to get away with fouls on the other end. It is very sad when the higher seeded team gets special treatment from the referees.
What happen to UNC?

Go away fanboy.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenred
Dang it guys, we've been caught. bluenred has outed our secret. There's a vast conspiracy of officials, CBS, and the NCAA, to prevent cinderella from getting into her rolling pumpkin. This group keeps secrets better than CIA operatives and FBI agents. Now, if you'll excuse me, the US Marshalls are here to take me to my hotel room. I can't say where it is, but it may or may not have a red roof.

What an idiot.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 01:25am.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, they missed the call. Now, Mr. All-knowing Fanboy, do you want to tell me why the officials didn't consult the courtside monitor to review the play and see if there was indeed a shot clock violation?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, they missed the call. Now, Mr. All-knowing Fanboy, do you want to tell me why the officials didn't consult the courtside monitor to review the play and see if there was indeed a shot clock violation?
That one's easy:

Rule 2-5-3
The officials shall not use a courtside monitor or courtside videotape
for judgment calls such as:
e. Whether the ball was released before the sounding of the shot clock
horn.