The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Announcers Said He Traveled (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33035-announcers-said-he-traveled.html)

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 08:44pm

Announcers Said He Traveled

The final shot in the Hoya game. I am so tired of these announcers who don't know the rule. They kep talking about how his left foot was the pivot foot and that as soon as he lifted it, he traveled. Why won't these networks just hire an official that knows the rules? Drives me crazy. It was mainly Seth Davis.

mick Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big2Cat
The final shot in the Hoya game. I am so tired of these announcers who don't know the rule. They kep talking about how his left foot was the pivot foot and that as soon as he lifted it, he traveled. Why won't these networks just hire an official that knows the rules? Drives me crazy. It was mainly Seth Davis.

If your's is the same play that I recall, I thought he may have lifted his pivot before he released the ball for his dribble.

tmp44 Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
If your's is the same play that I recall, I thought he may have lifted his pivot before he released the ball for his dribble.

Mick,

No...they were saying that he lifted the pivot foot right before the shot and thus a travel

tmp44 Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:46pm

Quote:

Big2Cat,

Completely agree. As soon as they started saying that, I started yelling, cursing, and throwing soft objects at my TV.

RushmoreRef Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:48pm

Quote:

I saw this as well...

truerookie Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:51pm

IMO, his left foot was the pivot foot. Not only did he lift it; It was switch throughout the movement. He stepped and pivot on the right foot turning towards the lane lifting the left. Then, he stepped (with left) and pivot towards the baseline with the left resulting in the successful shot.

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:53pm

Left was his pivot (this is all after he recoved the ball)....spun to the left, brought his right foot around, lifted his left foot in the air as he went to the right, then shot the ball before his left foot came back down.

(By the way, this part is from memory---I might have changed the feet by mistake, but you should get my drift)--Edit.

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
IMO, his left foot was the pivot foot. Not only did he lift it; It was switch throughout the movement. He stepped and pivot on the right foot turning towards the lane lifting the left. Then, he stepped (with left) and pivot towards the baseline with the left resulting in the successful shot.

Yes, he went to his right foot as he spun, but the left foot did not return to the floor before he shot the ball.

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:59pm

Oh my goodness. They are talking about him changing his pivot and it should have been a walk at HALFTIME of the USC/UNC game. They still think it should be a walk when he lifted his pivot foot. I bet every basketball official in the country is beside himself (and to the PC out there, herself) right now.

LDUB Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:01pm

I saw the game live at a restaurant where the sound was muted so I missed the first round of live comments. But Gumble and his buddies just stated that it was "clearly a walk" during the halftime show of the late game. How long until the fanboys are debating this on YouTube?

jkjenning Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05pm

Quote:

Oh my goodness. They are talking about him changing his pivot and it should have been a walk at HALFTIME of the USC/UNC game. They still think it should be a walk when he lifted his pivot foot.

Sad, no correct rules input in that amount of time?

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27pm

Quote:

I know the real Mr. Grammar Guy doesn't come by much anymore, but could we take another look at this sentence?

CLH Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01pm

This freaking ridiculous guys, the announcers are all idiots. I knocked over my water and spilt a bowl of ice cream on this one. GREAT play by the kid, GREAT no call by the officials. The reason its a no call is because there is NO CALL TO BE MADE. This is just driving me nuts. Travel my ***.:eek:

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46pm

During March Madness, CBS ought to do what NBC does with golf. The golf coverage always has David Fay available to explain a ruling at the U.S. Open. Why not have a retired official available on the set for this sort of thing???? It would help explain these sort of situations to all who watch on television that have no idea when it comes to the rules of the game.

ncaabbref Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:18am

It really favored the "up and under" move that the women use quite a bit that the fans always scream "walk" when i see it. But I think that he pushed off the right, stepped with the left and shot.....I am presently listening to the idiotic announcers on ESPN act like they are experts. once again, "ugly"="travel" in the minds of the uneducated, especially Doug Gottleib. That little snot nose pretty boy doesn't know crap....