The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Assistance appreciated!

I was keeping score last night for the local men's wreck league, when this play happened:

A1 drives the lane to shoot, crashing into B1 (couldn't tell from my spot if B1 had LGP or not). Of course, you know what goes down next: lead whistles and signals block, while the trail whistles and signals charge, both teams in the bonus. The shot does not go in. Refs charge 1 foul each to A1 and B1, then say they're giving the ball to A for a throw-in on the baseline. Naturally, an argument erupts from team B....but play proceeds.

At halftime, I grab my case book (left the darn rules book in the car) and flip to 4.19.8 (c). I understand that on all double fouls, play proceeds from the POI with no free throws and the ball does not become dead on the whistles until the try ends. Since team control ends with the try, shouldn't the POI have been the possession arrow? I'm thinking the arrow should have determined who got the ball and then it should have been reversed on the throw-in. If not, how do you proceed from here?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The key question here is whether the shot was released prior to the contact/foul. If the shot had been released, you'd go to the arrow. If the shot hadn't been released, then A still had team control, so you'd give them the ball at the nearest spot.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

This small but crucial bit of info would've help, of course! Sorry!

I couldn't tell from my vantage point, but when I asked them about this there was disagreement here as well. The lead thought the shot was after contact and the trail believed it was away when the crash occurred. They went with the lead because the play was moving towards him.

Now I'm not questioning their calls at all (well, the double whistle thing is understandable but hold your signal until you make eye contact with your P). I agree on a double foul call where player/team control is established, they would get the ball back at the POI.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:55pm
Ch1town

I'm still trying to figure out "how" they could charge both A & B players on one play...
Doesn't it have to be player control OR a block? Either or, but not both?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I'm still trying to figure out "how" they could charge both A & B players on one play...
Doesn't it have to be player control OR a block? Either or, but not both?
Not under NFHS and NCAA Mens rules. NFHS case book play 4.19.8SitC. Classic blarge.