The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

AD at Big Ten school unhappy

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?s...v=ap&type=lgns

I'm always amazed how professional people can act like fools at public sporting events.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:08am
In Memoriam

Interesting, Nevadaref.
Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I initially saw this reported by Greg Doyle from CBSSportsline.com. I have also personally seen Ron Guenther at Illinois games, although not as close as Doyle was while writing his article. The one thing Doyle, or this article, doesn't really explain is Guenther's passion for Illinois sports and their teams. He was an Illinois grad, and since he's been here he has personally been responsible for hiring coaches that are above reproach, and overseeing a department that has grown in facilities and donations. He also does what every other passionate fan does during a game, live and die with game's plays.

Here's where I think there's a little hypocrasy - the worst things mentioned in the article were, "Guenther pounded the table throughout...", and the yelling of "Warren, you idiot" after a turnover. Do these rise to the level of "Knight-able", newsworthyness? Or would this even be an issue if a member of the basketball team hadn't gotten into an accident while driving drunk a month earlier, and the football team didn't have two players kicked off for (alledgedly) commiting burglary?

Should he control himself a little more? Perhaps. But there's no mention of profanity, remarks directed at officials, physical contact, etc. So, where's the real story?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
So, where's the real story?
Finally getting rid of Chief Illiniwek!

Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

This ad sounds like a fanatic. I personally don't live and die with every play...I'd be dead a reborn a million times by now...I think you've probably gone too far in your enthusiasm for the game when you start calling your own team "idiots" and shout instructions to your coach like a billionaire team owner. Hopefully he can learn from this humiliating experience and mature to a leadership level worthy of his exalted title. This crap really turns me off sport when I hear it. I know thousands will defend his loyalty, his hard work ....but he needs to show a very high level of leadership for the alumni, fans, players and staff at these games he's attending, or stay home and yell at the t.v. where no one can hear him.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He needs to realize he's an example to his students. I'm sure he's realizing this now.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

M&M,

I realize you are an Illini fan and you do not want to look down on this school or the people associated, but come on. You know doggone well that behavior is not acceptable. This has nothing to do with Bobby Knight and what Knight has done in the past. This is and administrator that is calling names of players in his program. That is not acceptable despite how good he is in other aspects of his life. Then he makes the coach and players uncomfortable with his actions as well. I am all for passion of any fan or even people close to a program. But you have to behave in a manner that you do not cross the line.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckref
....but he needs to show a very high level of leadership for the alumni, fans, players and staff at these games he's attending, or stay home and yell at the t.v. where no one can hear him.
I would rather have a fanatic leading my company than a dispassionate clone going through the motions.

I also agree he needs to show a little different public face, and I believe he understands that now.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
M&M,

I realize you are an Illini fan and you do not want to look down on this school or the people associated, but come on. You know doggone well that behavior is not acceptable. This has nothing to do with Bobby Knight and what Knight has done in the past. This is and administrator that is calling names of players in his program. That is not acceptable despite how good he is in other aspects of his life. Then he makes the coach and players uncomfortable with his actions as well. I am all for passion of any fan or even people close to a program. But you have to behave in a manner that you do not cross the line.

Peace
Yep, he shouldn't have said the "idiot" comment. And he will be the first to tell you he was wrong in blurting that out. But what else in the article is really newsworthy, or "over the line"? Is pounding a table an example of an AD out of control? Like I said before, he needs to learn how to show a different public face, and I think he is definitely more aware of that. But his passion needs to stay.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep, he shouldn't have said the "idiot" comment. And he will be the first to tell you he was wrong in blurting that out. But what else in the article is really newsworthy, or "over the line"? Is pounding a table an example of an AD out of control? Like I said before, he needs to learn how to show a different public face, and I think he is definitely more aware of that. But his passion needs to stay.
There is a difference between passion and fanaticism.

Yes, he's way over the line. AD's shouldn't EVER call a player a name or yell at the coach in public. Completely unprofessional.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Actually, Nevadaref was the first to tell me it was wrong. The AD said it was wrong well after others pointed out the error.

Illini recruiting has become more difficult, and the action has exposed the underlying feelings of athletic programs toward it's athletes.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Actually, Nevadaref was the first to tell me it was wrong. The AD said it was wrong well after others pointed out the error.

Illini recruiting has become more difficult, and the action has exposed the underlying feelings of athletic programs toward it's athletes.
Yep, frustration could be a factor.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is news worthy because the AD was acting like an idiot and public and that to some people's surprise he was not punished. Now this might not important to Illini fans, but it is important to others watching and judging the program. It might hurt some parent that would send their kid to that school. That is newsworthy in my opinion.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is news worthy because the AD was acting like an idiot and public and that to some people's surprise he was not punished. Now this might not important to Illini fans, but it is important to others watching and judging the program. It might hurt some parent that would send their kid to that school. That is newsworthy in my opinion.

Peace
Ok, well just because I'm feelin' argumentative today - you don't have a problem with using the exact same word to describe him in this public forum as he used in reference to the player. Shouldn't we all be held to the same standards?

What about coaches? I have certainly heard coaches use much worse words directly to players' faces during games and practices. Where's the transcripts of those statements in the papers or on-line articles? Shouldn't they be held to the same standards as AD's? Shouldn't those types of comments be known by parents and others watching the program? If not, why not? Why shouldn't the coachs' behavior be more important, because they are dealing directly with the kids? Would you agree Bo Schembechler said and did worse things during his tenure as coach and AD? As a Michigan fan, would you also call him an idiot as well because of that? Or are your comments based on being a fan of a rival school?

Like I said, he probably shouldn't have said it. But what was said and done doesn't seem to be all that newsworthy in this day and age, other than the original writer found something negative to say. I'd feel the same way if the article was talking about Bill Martin, or any local high school AD.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 05:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok, well just because I'm feelin' argumentative today - you don't have a problem with using the exact same word to describe him in this public forum as he used in reference to the player. Shouldn't we all be held to the same standards?

What about coaches? I have certainly heard coaches use much worse words directly to players' faces during games and practices. Where's the transcripts of those statements in the papers or on-line articles? Shouldn't they be held to the same standards as AD's? Shouldn't those types of comments be known by parents and others watching the program? If not, why not? Why shouldn't the coachs' behavior be more important, because they are dealing directly with the kids? Would you agree Bo Schembechler said and did worse things during his tenure as coach and AD? As a Michigan fan, would you also call him an idiot as well because of that? Or are your comments based on being a fan of a rival school?

Like I said, he probably shouldn't have said it. But what was said and done doesn't seem to be all that newsworthy in this day and age, other than the original writer found something negative to say. I'd feel the same way if the article was talking about Bill Martin, or any local high school AD.
Lah me. Fanboys!