The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

I know we've covered this before, but I can't search, and would like some fresh responses if there are any.

Thoughts on which school (Jim's or Harry's)...benefits of each...which prepares you more for PBUC?

Any and all opinions would be great-I'm starting to think about going.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
6 one way half dozen the other. I know people that have gone to both schools and they come back better umpires. Each person that has gone say that their school is better than the other but that is to be expected. If you go to a top university you are going to say you have a better school than your main "rival".

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robtheump Send a message via Yahoo to robtheump
It doesn't matter what school you go to....if you are good enough...you are good enough.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Huh? Are you saying that either pro school will help you improve or that good umpires are born instead of made?
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

What Rob is saying is that both school are set up to produce PBUC ready candidates. It doesn't matter which school you chose, if you have the aptitude,appearance, and ability (in other words you fit the mold that PBUC wants) you will make it. If you don't have the needed elements, it won't matter which school you attend.

There are some who attend one school and don't make it but attend the other school later on and do get a job. These cases are rare. Since there isn't a clear trend (i.e. students going to Harry's first and then Jim's make it more than vice versa) no conclusions about the "better" school can be made from this small group.

Lawrence
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
Huh? Are you saying that either pro school will help you improve or that good umpires are born instead of made?
Certainly you don't believe the fable that "all men are created equal".

We are all born with inherent qualities that make us different and help each of us to excell differently. Some of us were gifted with height, some with long and flexible muscles and tendons. Some of us have quicker reflexes than others. Some of us take direction better than others. Some of have better memories and analytical skills than others.

Not all candidates enter pro school on an equal footing. Some will never quite "get it".

However, everyone who does go through pro school (either one) will be a better umpire for it. And, as it was said, if you're good enough, you'll move on, regardless of the which school you attend.

One caveat....many umpires who move on are second time attendees. Prepare for that.

All that said, I have my preference, but I don't wish to be the one who starts a "school-war". Feel free to email me privately if you would care to hear my reasons.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
No, I certainly don't beleive all men are created equal. I was questioning Rob's statement. I read his statement as "there's no point to going to either school, you only do PBUC if you're good enough." Lawrence's understanding is that Rob was saying "Either school will prepare you to be good enough for PBUC."

Not knowing much about either school or PBUC requirements, I can't say whether or not the latter is true, but I can say that the former would be a terrible attitude that would ensure you never improve. "I'm too good for that training" is only said by those who really aren't.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have never been to either of the pro schools, but I know they both do a tremendous job at preparing you for PBUC's course after umpiring.

As a previous poster already stated..."if you are good enough, .....you are good enough."

If I have to choose though between the two schools, I would go to Harry's school in a heartbeat. The reason being very simple was the experience I had the first time around I inquired to both schools for information in considering which one to attend.

I emailed both schools. Like a week later, I recieved a package in the mail from Jim's school with the forms, a brochure on the school, and then a video tape as well to watch, which went through a quick overview of the school.

A couple of days later, I recieved a phone call in the afternoon. It was Harry Wendlestedt calling me to personally answer my questions for me about his school that I may have had.

Since that phone call, I have pretty much decided that if I ever go umpiring school, that I would go Harry's school in Florida.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 09:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I have never been to either of the pro schools, but I know they both do a tremendous job at preparing you for PBUC's course after umpiring.

As a previous poster already stated..."if you are good enough, .....you are good enough."

If I have to choose though between the two schools, I would go to Harry's school in a heartbeat. The reason being very simple was the experience I had the first time around I inquired to both schools for information in considering which one to attend.

I emailed both schools. Like a week later, I recieved a package in the mail from Jim's school with the forms, a brochure on the school, and then a video tape as well to watch, which went through a quick overview of the school.

A couple of days later, I recieved a phone call in the afternoon. It was Harry Wendlestedt calling me to personally answer my questions for me about his school that I may have had.

Since that phone call, I have pretty much decided that if I ever go umpiring school, that I would go Harry's school in Florida.
You get a free video describing the school and you see this as a negative?
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin

You get a free video describing the school and you see this as a negative?
I don't think he was putting down Evans' school in any way. He was just saying he was really impressed that Harry himself called him on the phone to answer any questions.
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

realy does not matter.......

2 good friends, both went to Harry's. Both went to PBUC. One lasted 4 seasons, the other 6. If you don'yt advance, you get cut. You get fat, you get cut. My friend Jason, after 4 seasons, got 1 review, bad game...got his *** chewed by reviwer for a 12 inning game...released the beginning of next season, he was working a high A league.My friend Rich, was on his way to Texas league again, was told loose 30 # or else, guy is a great ump, like somebody was saying earlier.....you gotta fit the "image"
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: realy does not matter.......

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
2 good friends, both went to Harry's. Both went to PBUC. One lasted 4 seasons, the other 6. If you don'yt advance, you get cut. You get fat, you get cut. My friend Jason, after 4 seasons, got 1 review, bad game...got his *** chewed by reviwer for a 12 inning game...released the beginning of next season, he was working a high A league.My friend Rich, was on his way to Texas league again, was told loose 30 # or else, guy is a great ump, like somebody was saying earlier.....you gotta fit the "image"
Slim umps must be a new image...
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: realy does not matter.......

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:

The phrase used most often is "athletic build".

[Edited by GarthB on May 23rd, 2005 at 01:12 AM]
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Re: realy does not matter.......

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
I have to agree. I remember when John McSherry dropped on the field. Not a good thing at all, especially to a man as respected as he was. MLB is going to do the extreme to try and keep it from happening again. While this is not a 100% effective method to prevent it (as nothing they do is 100% effective in this reguard) it clearly sends the message of stay in shape or here's the door.

BTW T, great article on John. I totally enjoyed it.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.