The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
...visiting players spent whole time during shots telling me how sorry they were and how embarrassed they were...
I hope you were able to respond in a way that encouraged them. They demonstrated the character that their coaches did have. Isn't that a primary purpose for this stuff? to build character? As frustrating as the situation is, those kind of interactions with the players encourages me.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 10:28pm
Administrator

For the officials who were upset with my three for the price of one situation. You have to remember, that his was in the Ohio Games. These were not school teams but AAU and YBOA type teams. The team were getting thier clocks cleaned, the players were indeed jerking around, and their coach had already received a T from my partner. And yes, A1 was ejected for receiving two T's. At this point the coach for the first time in the game got control of himself and his team and we finished the game without incident.

This is a situation that you would be hard pressed to find happen in a high school or college game. I have officiated AAU and YBOA nationals for a number years and I doubt a game would deteriorate to the nonsense of the two players in my play.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

mark d.

it doesnt matter what level of ball you are officiating or what state. officiating takes a talent combined with rules knowledge and common sense. not just veteran, but great officials know when to use "game management" in a situations like this. this particular article that you wrote (and defended) gives the perception of you as a "t" happy official and having a 1 dimensional view of the game. be careful not to come off as braggadocious about teching and ejecting players on a play as simple as this!
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Back on the subject of how many T's. I called a game between the last two undefeated teams in a double elimination tournament last night. My partner had Three, all on players for taunting. Two were your garden variety After the foul, the foulee gives the "take that" taunt to the fouler. shoot one and ones on this end techs on that end. We also had two intentionals. One at the buzzer which we didn't record because the wrong team did it. The final score was a two point spread. Real ugly.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I do not know about most technical fouls, but I have on situation that sticks out for me:

A number of years ago in the Regionals of the Ohio Games (Olympics style state games) in a boys 16U game: Team A is getting their clocks cleaned when A1 steals the ball. A2 runs down the court ahead of him and (I am not lying) gets down on his hands and knees and lets A1 jump off his back and then A1 dunks the ball. I immediately whistled the ball dead and T'ed A1 and A2 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A8e, and I T'ed A1 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A5. The second T on A1 was for dunking a dead ball and the false multiple T's were for climbing or or lifting a teammate to secure a greater height. Three T's for the price of one, it does not get any better than that.
Whoa. A "is getting their clocks cleaned" and you stop the
game for 6 FT's for B for this? If this is *my* game I'm
gonna stop it to get their autograph on the game ball.

Mark, maybe you need to work on finding the joy in life.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
...8 free throws later, the home team inbounds ball and runs out the clock to win by 7...visiting players spent whole time during shots telling me how sorry they were and how embarrassed they were...
Wow, this coach also needs to find the joy in life. Anyway
I believe this is the essential difference between boys/mens
basketball & girls/women's basketball. If this were a men's
juco game you would have ended up tossing at least 3
players too!
Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 11:38pm
Administrator

Dan,

It was easy to stop the game. It was a running clock game. You do not think I stopped the clock for all of this happy horse manure. It just meant, that for a couple of minutes in a game that was a rout, that my partner and I did not have to run up and down the court.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 02, 2001, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
One of my personal favourites was the coach several years ago who had been warned on several occasions to sit down and keep it shut.

There is less that 1 minute to go, his team is up by 2 and his star player gets his fifth foul with a charge (my partner called it, but from where I was it was a good one). The coach goes balastic that "we" have fouled his player out. The F word flies along with a few other nicities.

I'm the trail and standing in front of his bench, so I immediately toss him. His reaction, and I quote: "You can't toss me, I've only got one T, you have to get 2 before you are ejected."

So he promptly gets his second from me, the other team hits 3 out of the 4 free throws and then scores a 3 after being given possession.

The other team ended up winning by 5. poetic justice
Duane, assuming you were reffing FIBA rules...Upon tossing the coach you are calling a "Disqualifying" foul (not a "T") which results in an ejection and 2 plus the ball. The coach is now now longer part of the contest. You're second foul ("T")is not possible and therefore you only shoot 2 shots and give possession to Team B. Why did they shoot 4 shots?
You know that. I know that. The coach didn't. All he knew was that 2 T's was an automatic ejection, and he thought that was the only way he could get tossed. So I was happy to oblige him and call two T's rather than the one Disqaulifying foul.

On the same point - even if I had Dq'd him, if he continues swearing as he is leaving the court, can't I assess him with a T (which would go against the bench, rather than the coach)?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Dan,

It was easy to stop the game. It was a running clock game. You do not think I stopped the clock for all of this happy horse manure. It just meant, that for a couple of minutes in a game that was a rout, that my partner and I did not have to run up and down the court.
Hmmm, good thinking!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rec leagues can't count for any records. No one ever keeps those records. The players are either just learning or has beens. The coachs REALLY have no idea what they are doing. The administration is doing their best to take these two point into a proper working enviroment. I had 7 in one game about two months ago.

In another light, what is the fastest anyone has called a T on a coach. My best was from about 10 years ago. HS boys game with 8 min quarters. Vistors get opening tap and scores. Full court press. Steals in bounds and scores. Steals in bounds and scores again. A1 dribbles inbound pass off his foot right in front of his bench. I have throw-in and coach tells me I'm the "worst F@#%*g ref" he has ever seen. 7:42 on clock when I report T to the table.

"Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do."
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 02:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by donfowler
I have throw-in and coach tells me I'm the "worst F@#%*g ref" he has ever seen. 7:42 on clock when I report T to the table.
I hope you deemed it flagrant and tossed that F@#%*g coach. I would have tossed his F@#%*g a** right out of the F@#%*g gym into the F@#%*g street!!! And probably his F@#%*g assistant, too!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 05:50pm
Esteemed Participant

And his f*&%#%@& trainer too!! I was in the stands at a HS tournament - one of those Christmas things, and watched a good friend call a T on the home coach 9 seconds into the game...toss and home team controls tap, run down floor and pass into post who turns, shoots, gets it blocked off her face and oob...ref calls visitor ball...home coach jumps up, stamps his cowboy booted foot, and yells "Great, the first play of the game and you screw us twice!" Ref blows whistle, signals T and says "Make it three, coach"...fastest T I have ever seen...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down This may be the record

I am a new member, but I think I've got one that
nobody can top!
Around 1987 NCAA Div 3 Men's game
Menlo at UCSD (UC San Diego)
Rule was one T for anyone involved, including bench personnel .
Unbeknownst to us, the two teams had problems at Menlo.
We had a player score and turn around, running into
an opponent. They squared up, threw punches, and the party was ON!
After doing an accounting of everyone involved,
we had 13 Ts against Menlo and 2 Ts against UCSD.
The UCSD coach had forewarned his players to NOT
get up from the bench if something happened.
Without the clock moving: Rob Rittgers from UCSD
hit 26 freethrows in a row (30 for 30 in the game).
UCSD went from down a bunch (more than 10)to up and Menlo lost its coach.
There's much more to the story.
I (Barry Alman) worked with Manny Gomes.
I believe that several records were broken,
including some of Pete Maravich's.
It's a good thing that they changed that rule!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 01:05pm
Esteemed Participant

HOLY CRAP!!! Barry wins!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Fastest T vs. Fastest Ejection

Quote:
Originally posted by donfowler
7:42 on clock when I report T to the table.
That's quick, all right, but how about this story. I've posted it before, but it's one of my favorites. This happened probably 7 or 8 years ago in an Indiana varsity HS game (at which I was not present, but read the paper account).

Teams come out for layup lines before the start of the game, with officials on the court. The first 3 players in the line all dunk the ball. Three T's, three indirects on the coach and the coach is ejected 10 minutes before the game begins. (I almost typed "before they jump it up"; but of course, they didn't!)

Apparently, the players were disgruntled with the way the coach had done things in a practice earlier in the week. This was their way of showing the coach their displeasure. I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall at halftime in that locker room!

Chuck