Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
Quote:
Originally posted by PublicBJ
Quote:

Using my criteria for a "T"... the coach has made the transition from an "emotional" response to a "calculated" response which questions the integrity of the crew. Therefore...automatic "T". My only consideration before making the call would be - will this "T" have a direct impact on the outcome of the game? (e.g. - tie game/less than a minute to play)...if I feel the "T" could be the difference, (in private) "Coach, under different circumstances that disrespectful comment gets you a "T". If you forget about the play I'll forget I heard your comment and we'll let the players decide who wins this game".
Why should the score of the game matter? If it's a "T" in any other situation, it should be a "T" in any situation. This gives coaches grounds to complain about inconsistency.
I know this will spark a lot of conversation...

Different game situations require different interpretations and therefore, sometimes...different decisions. To me, this is the most exciting part of refereeing. It's easy to call the balls and strikes with blinders on, oblivious to everything else going on in the game. The challenge is to make the correct call considering "all" factors.
It will from me. This because I am so totality discussed with your injecting your personal opinion into a situation that can illegally change the outcome of the game. We are not talking about advantage or disadvantage here. We are talk about if something is a T or not. Time of the game has no baring on it.

Classic example question – Team A wins by 1. Coach A comes up to you as you are signing the book and calls you a pompous *** that almost cost him the game. What are you going to do?

You are on the court to administer the rules, not determine the outcome of the contest.
You call the T on the coach. He, not you, are determining the outcome of the contest. If you would have T'd him earlier for that but do not do it now, then you are determining the outcome.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PublicBJ
Quote:

Using my criteria for a "T"... the coach has made the transition from an "emotional" response to a "calculated" response which questions the integrity of the crew. Therefore...automatic "T". My only consideration before making the call would be - will this "T" have a direct impact on the outcome of the game? (e.g. - tie game/less than a minute to play)...if I feel the "T" could be the difference, (in private) "Coach, under different circumstances that disrespectful comment gets you a "T". If you forget about the play I'll forget I heard your comment and we'll let the players decide who wins this game".
Why should the score of the game matter? If it's a "T" in any other situation, it should be a "T" in any situation. This gives coaches grounds to complain about inconsistency.
I know this will spark a lot of conversation...

Different game situations require different interpretations and therefore, sometimes...different decisions. To me, this is the most exciting part of refereeing. It's easy to call the balls and strikes with blinders on, oblivious to everything else going on in the game. The challenge is to make the correct call considering "all" factors.
It will from me. This because I am so totality discussed with your injecting your personal opinion into a situation that can illegally change the outcome of the game. We are not talking about advantage or disadvantage here. We are talk about if something is a T or not. Time of the game has no baring on it.

Classic example question – Team A wins by 1. Coach A comes up to you as you are signing the book and calls you a pompous *** that almost cost him the game. What are you going to do?

You are on the court to administer the rules, not determine the outcome of the contest.
You call the T on the coach. He, not you, are determining the outcome of the contest. If you would have T'd him earlier for that but do not do it now, then you are determining the outcome.
Excuse me! Do I call a foul or do I report a foul has taken place? Do I call a violation or do I report that one has taken place? Do I look the other way because there is a few seconds left and not report that foul or violation?

If a coach or player crosses the line into Technical Foul territory then it will be called no matter if it is in the first minute or the last. They are the controllers of their fate, not I.

If I let it go because of the time on the clock than I am violating the standard of integrity I set for myself and it would be time to give these old legs a rest. These are the standards I set for myself and for no one else.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2001, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Excuse me! Do I call a foul or do I report a foul has taken place? Do I call a violation or do I report that one has taken place? Do I look the other way because there is a few seconds left and not report that foul or violation?

If a coach or player crosses the line into Technical Foul territory then it will be called no matter if it is in the first minute or the last. They are the controllers of their fate, not I.

[/B]
It's not always that "cut and dried". The origional question posed in this thread has to do with the fact that many times these fouls and violations are determined by our JUDGEMENT. Perhaps this is the reason that it may be said that basketball is the most difficult sport to officiate.

"The only thing harder than being a basketball official is being happily married". Skip Karry
Old Sun Dec 02, 2001, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

It's not always that "cut and dried". The origional question posed in this thread has to do with the fact that many times these fouls and violations are determined by our JUDGEMENT. Perhaps this is the reason that it may be said that basketball is the most difficult sport to officiate.

"The only thing harder than being a basketball official is being happily married". Skip Karry [/B][/QUOTE]

Since I am on wife #3 maybe I should hange the old lanyard on the peg. Come to think of it, the Mrs. Did say if do too many games this year she is out of here.

[Edited by RecRef on Dec 2nd, 2001 at 12:13 AM]
Old Sun Dec 02, 2001, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

If, a coach said i was cheating his kids as you were running by and no one really heard it, its no big deal. If hes stomping and yelling, "Oh man, I cant believe it, ur cheating the kids." well, if its really vocal, and everyone heard it, then i would take that as hes trying to show you up, so i would t him up, and get away from him at that point. the coach needs to realize hes really cheating the kids by not coaching them when hes coaching you. WE are human just like him, so we will miss calls too, and they wont always agree with every call you make.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

you do have to consider every comment/situation differently based on the context and the intonation, what I am wondering about is what were you drinking when you wrote this?
(totally)? (disgusted)
It will from me. This because I am so totality discussed

with your injecting your personal opinion into a situation

that can illegally change the outcome of the game. We are

not talking about advantage or disadvantage here. We are

talk about if something is a T or not. Time of the game has
(bearing)?
no baring on it.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

T's should only be used as a last resort. I think you handled it correctly. You spoke. He listened. He kept quiet. Even if he had said something I might have told me "that's enough" with the "STOP" sign.
Play on. If he questions your integrity later in the game, you have an unsportsmanlike T.

We each have a limit of how much we can take. Try to be consistent and don't hand out Ts like candy, but don't be abused. Coachs, ADs, the league, and your assignor will appreciate it.