View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PublicBJ
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef

Using my criteria for a "T"... the coach has made the transition from an "emotional" response to a "calculated" response which questions the integrity of the crew. Therefore...automatic "T". My only consideration before making the call would be - will this "T" have a direct impact on the outcome of the game? (e.g. - tie game/less than a minute to play)...if I feel the "T" could be the difference, (in private) "Coach, under different circumstances that disrespectful comment gets you a "T". If you forget about the play I'll forget I heard your comment and we'll let the players decide who wins this game".
Why should the score of the game matter? If it's a "T" in any other situation, it should be a "T" in any situation. This gives coaches grounds to complain about inconsistency.
Consistency, in my opinion, is within the game, not from game to game. If no other T is called the rest of the game, consistency is not an issue. If a T is called (or has been), the no-T/T decision has been made already and this call should be consistent with any prior calls. And I do think that the skin should get a little thicker in a tight game, although each ref must have their line that cannot be crossed (e.g., profanity). This statement is right up against the line, and probably over it for many. But the way it was handled acomplished the true goal - let the players play, the coaches coach and the refs ref. The coach shut up and got back to coaching, without the need for a T. And the players decided the outcome.