View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not disagreeing with the original call, or how it was handled. Sounds like it was handled well.

I do have an issue that when X gets a "T" in one game, and doesn't in another. We all have "the line of death", to coin a phrase from Qaddafi, and it sounds like we're all pretty much on the same page on where that line is.

Consistency in this area of game administration/management should be across games, not just within a game. Consistency has been the number one complaint from coaches for as long as I can remember. Being on the same page provides this consistency across games, which is why the Fed and refereeing associations try to get their members to handle things in a similar way.

Obviously, this doesn't necessarily apply to all areas. (For example, physicality of the game, along with early calls, pretty much set the boundaries of what's going to be a foul, and what's not.) However, we do try to be consistent across games on what's a block vs. a charge. These types of items frequently come up as points of emphasis, and are usually topics of extended discussion at association meetings.

Same thing applies to a coaching box. Different officials allow different things, and nobody applies it per the rule. This has caused many unnecessary confrontation between coaches and officials. If everyone called it the same way, coaches would know where that line is, and it would rarely be a problem again.

In my opinion, we do ourselves a disservice in letting Coach A get away with something one day, but not in another day.