Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
Quote:
Originally posted by PublicBJ
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef

Using my criteria for a "T"... the coach has made the transition from an "emotional" response to a "calculated" response which questions the integrity of the crew. Therefore...automatic "T". My only consideration before making the call would be - will this "T" have a direct impact on the outcome of the game? (e.g. - tie game/less than a minute to play)...if I feel the "T" could be the difference, (in private) "Coach, under different circumstances that disrespectful comment gets you a "T". If you forget about the play I'll forget I heard your comment and we'll let the players decide who wins this game".
Why should the score of the game matter? If it's a "T" in any other situation, it should be a "T" in any situation. This gives coaches grounds to complain about inconsistency.
I know this will spark a lot of conversation...

Different game situations require different interpretations and therefore, sometimes...different decisions. To me, this is the most exciting part of refereeing. It's easy to call the balls and strikes with blinders on, oblivious to everything else going on in the game. The challenge is to make the correct call considering "all" factors.
It will from me. This because I am so totality discussed with your injecting your personal opinion into a situation that can illegally change the outcome of the game. We are not talking about advantage or disadvantage here. We are talk about if something is a T or not. Time of the game has no baring on it.

Classic example question – Team A wins by 1. Coach A comes up to you as you are signing the book and calls you a pompous *** that almost cost him the game. What are you going to do?

You are on the court to administer the rules, not determine the outcome of the contest.
You call the T on the coach. He, not you, are determining the outcome of the contest. If you would have T'd him earlier for that but do not do it now, then you are determining the outcome.