The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:55pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
What NOT to post

I was at the D4 state final with a bunch of other officials on Saturday. Near the end of the quarter, the visitors hit a 3, then the home team inbounded and a kid heaved one 3/4 court that went in for a 3. The guy next to me wondered how big that might be later on. 18-14 visitors at that point. They led the whole way till the final 2 minutes when the home team scored to go up by one and they won by 2.

They showed a video on the news of the shot and some guy in our membership posted on our board website that it clearly looked like the home guy did not go OOB to pass the ball in on the 3/4 court attempt and wondered why this 'clear violation' was not called. This guy will not be moving up any time soon.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I was at the D4 state final with a bunch of other officials on Saturday. Near the end of the quarter, the visitors hit a 3, then the home team inbounded and a kid heaved one 3/4 court that went in for a 3. The guy next to me wondered how big that might be later on. 18-14 visitors at that point. They led the whole way till the final 2 minutes when the home team scored to go up by one and they won by 2.

They showed a video on the news of the shot and some guy in our membership posted on our board website that it clearly looked like the home guy did not go OOB to pass the ball in on the 3/4 court attempt and wondered why this 'clear violation' was not called. This guy will not be moving up any time soon.
So your association's website is pretty useless then, in terms of discussing plays and such.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Was he right? If so, then your board is full of a bunch of stuffed shirts who can't take criticism.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I'm not quite getting this either. Is he mistakenly seeing a violation that isn't there?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I'm confused like the other guys that have posted already.

Didn't the guy bring up a completely legitimate point? Was it a legal throw-in or not?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

The videos were not good quality--not from the TV station, but home videos. Looked like the typical run it OOB with one foot & quick pass in to me. No complaints from the visitors coach. The guy said he did not know how the game turned out when it was part of a 60-90 second story that clearly told the final score being 46-44. The guy has posted some other stuff throughout the season that is basically "waa-waa". I was with a group of about 15 officials watching the game. We noticed a sitch with 2 leads during the game, so if there was a question on the play, it WOULD have been discussed.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Was he right? If so, then your board is full of a bunch of stuffed shirts who can't take criticism.
Nope.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

then from the sounds of it why will he not be moving up based on that question? i am confused too -- and usually i try and do the confusing...
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 06:48am
Huck Finn

Quote:
The videos were not good quality--not from the TV station, but home videos. Looked like the typical run it OOB with one foot & quick pass in to me. No complaints from the visitors coach. The guy said he did not know how the game turned out when it was part of a 60-90 second story that clearly told the final score being 46-44. The guy has posted some other stuff throughout the season that is basically "waa-waa". I was with a group of about 15 officials watching the game. We noticed a sitch with 2 leads during the game, so if there was a question on the play, it WOULD have been discussed.
What not to post indeed! It sounds like you assumed everyone on this forum would jump on your side blindly and now you are introducing more "evidence" to back up the story. So the video footage is not good enough to tell if the player violated, but it is good enough to say the guy was wrong? Got it (as the BS flag goes to half staff).
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:10am
Aleve Titles to Others

Did you not read the part about me being at the game live with 15 other officials, tome? I did not have to try to decipher from home video if there was a violation or not. Neither did the 15 other officials sitting around me. There has been response to the guy's post and it has not been pretty. He has whined all year about assignors and not moving up, etc. and he has done it very publicly. He even was asking if there was some kind of procedure to use that video to overturn the call. Guess I could have cut and pasted his post but I did not want to violate his privacy.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:53am
Huck Finn

Where was your position in the stands. Could you see this play clearly?