The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 01:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I wanted to let all officials in the Portland area know of the passing of one of our fellow officials. I received an email from one of the leagues I work that my friend, Jeff Strother, has passed away due to a heart attack. Jeff played basketball at many levels all his life and took up officiating about 4 years ago. He was known around here as "King of the Rec Leagues" as he officiated over 500 games a year. Last year, he got his official HS certification and began HS games as a member of the Portland Basketball Officials Assn. (PBOA).

My favorite Jeff story is the one about his playing in the Nike World Masters Games a few years ago. He played center, and in two of the games, the opposing center kept elbowing Jeff in the ribs. After the tournament, Jeff went to get an Xray and was told he had a fractured rib. He then went back and checked the team rosters and found out the guy he had been battling was former NBA "hitman" Greg Kite. Jeff's comment - "That explains a lot."
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

Really sorry to hear of your loss.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

I'll have a good thought for him.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Post My condolences

My heartfelt sympathy to the family and friends of Jeff Strother.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked with Jeff a few times. He was a fine person and a fine official. He will be missed in many ways by many people.

I'm sure that it will be mentioned at our meeting tonight.

My toughts and prayers will certainly include his family.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 07:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys - thanks for all your kind words. I attended the memorial service this morning for Jeff, and there were about 300 people there. I recognized at least 75 local basketball officials, so you can kind of get a feel for how many friends Jeff had.

During the service, I was remembering the first game I ever worked with Jeff. He had only been officiating a few weeks, and we had a boys HS varsity rec game. There was a play near mid-court that involved an interpretation of the over and back rule. Jeff made a no call. It was the correct call and, of course, one coach went ballistic.

At halftime, I commended him on the no call. I told him I was very impressed with the fact that such an inexperienced official would recognize exactly what happened.

Jeff laughed and told me that, while he knew there was a rule about that play, he had no idea what it actually was. He said he figured he would just let it go, and if he was wrong, then I would bail him out by blowing my whistle.

Actually, I've worked with a lot of guys who use that theory.

Goodbye, Jeff. Everyone around here will miss your warm smile, big handshake and terrific attitude. You were a great partner, buddy.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I don't know this person but it seems to me you are describing a "natural" official. I share with all of you who knew him- Your sadness in his passing.
Pistol
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I also worked with Jeff and would like to share my favorite Jeff story. I was a very new official, and he was quite a bit more experienced than me, when this happened. This was rec (Beaverton Hoop), probably 7th grade girls. I was intensely trying to get everything into place, handed off the ball for an endline throw-in, when I looked up and saw Jeff sitting on a chair, FACING AWAY FROM THE COURT, chatting with a dad. I was furious, but saw another official watching the game, and laughing. Afterwards, this third official said to me, with admiration in his voice, "That dad is the hardest fan to control, and Jeff plays him like a harp." As I worked with him over the last year, I have come to appreciate his remarkable skill to manipulate fans', coaches' and players' attitudes toward healthier competition, and fair play. And he was always polite and enocuraging to me, no matter how wierd I got. I will also miss him very much.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2001, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Rain maker,
Always remember what he taught you that day. Many officials will never reach that" communications" level!!
BTW I hope you looked up and got eye contact with him before you put the ball in play- if you didn't, he also taught you another very important communication skill!(;-)
Pistol