Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

A big thanks to both of you!
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

The clip is titled "Fiasco", and that's exactly what it was.

I didn't watch closely enough to notice the time issue, but the shot obviously should not have counted. Nevadaref is exactly right about the Lead official, too. Never should have been in the lane, shouldn't have been looking up at the ball, but since he was looking up, why didn't he help on that?!?!

I'm sure the two guys feel bad about it (or will, when they see the clip), but that's not good.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
A big thanks to both of you!
Yeah yeah, whatever. You're still an annoying pain in the azz.

Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The home timer pulled one over on the refs.
Jeffrey Maier, move over and eat your heart out. I hope that scorer's conscience eats at him/her forever.

But more importantly, if the officials don't have definitive knowledge, why was any time put back on the clock to begin with? Why are they taking the scorer's word?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, those are 2 huge mistakes...adding time without positive knowledge and the ball hitting the support.

Whatever they told the V Coach, he seemed to take it pretty well unless that part of the video was edited.

I would say they've got som splainin to do to someone.

Not being there, we have no idea how the rest of the game went but unfortunatly, they will always be remembered for those last 8 seconds (the 6 that ran off and the 2 they added).
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is it just me or do we really know why the officials changed the time? I did not see anything on the tape other than the suggestion by the person that created the video that the timer was responsible for the change of the clock. I think that is an assumption made rather than a proven issue. The officials did talk for some time about the issue and that tells me there must have been something up with the clock and that is the reason time was put on the clock. Now whether they put the right amount of time up is another issue. I just do not see anything on the tape that suggests the timer was responsible for the addition of time. There was no audio on the conversation between the officials or the table personnel.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

They are 2 major mistakes. I'm glad it wasn't my game. I agree that 3 person mechanics make situations like this much easier. I wonder if the state will make a statement on this game?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
A kid heaves a desperation shot....hits rim, bounces up, hits the basketball mount behind the backboard, back down onto the rim and then into the basket. The trail official counts it and then runs into the lockerroom.
The trail is rightly to the right but behind the shooter. He looking directly at the shot from the time it hits the rim and all the way through the rim. He pretty emphatic in his scoring of the goal, like he saw it all the way. Ugh!

I agree with The Canuck, the home timer should be ashamed.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Why is the name "Alexander Belov" popping into my head?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ball Hits Supporting Wire

My worst call of the year: Girls varsity. A few seconds to go in the first quarter. I'm the trail, responsible for the shot and the clock. A-1 attempts a three-pointer from my primary with no defender near her. Still no horn. I watch the flight of the ball. It clangs off the rim and bounces high above the rim. Still no horn. In a boys game, I would be watching for basket interference, but since it was a girls game, I decided to glance at the clock in case of a rebounding foul. Tenths of a second left. I turn back to the ball and basket to see the ball enter the basket at the buzzer. I count the three-pointer to end the quarter.

A few Team B players politely tell me the ball hit a supporting wire. I can also tell from the reaction of the crowd that it probably hit the supporting wire. I go to my partner who was the lead, to see if he can help me. Of course he can't, which I already knew, because his responsibility is to keep his eyes down, looking for rebounding fouls. But I ask him anyway, to show the Team B head coach, who is questioning my call, that I'm trying to get as much information as possible. My partner says that he didn't see it hit the supporting wire. I tell the Team B head coach that I can't change a call without definite knowledge, and I say "I'm sorry if I missed it". He says, "Sorry doesn't take away the three points" and appears very upset with me.

In the locker room at halftime, the junior varsity officials, who had stayed to watch the varsity game, say that the ball did hit the supporting wire. Going onto the court after halftime, the Team B head coach apologizes for losing his temper, which never even approached the need for a technical foul. I accept his apology, and explain to him that I missed the ball touching the supporting wire because I had glanced at the clock to check the time. Before the second half started, all the members of the table crew, from both teams told me that the ball had hit the supporting wire.

My question: Since the scorers and the timer at the table are considered part of our officiating crew, could I have gone to them for help on this call at the end of the first quarter to correct the call ?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
My question: Since the scorers and the timer at the table are considered part of our officiating crew, could I have gone to them for help on this call at the end of the first quarter to correct the call ?
My belief is that, yes, you could have used the help of your table crew, but one has to be careful when doing this that the table crew is trustworthy.

Next time you would probably be better served to trust your table to handle the clock and you continue to observe the shot.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
My belief is that, yes, you could have used the help of your table crew, but one has to be careful when doing this that the table crew is trustworthy.

Next time you would probably be better served to trust your table to handle the clock and you continue to observe the shot.
2 questions:

1. Based on what can the table help make *this* call?

2. First you advise we need to be careful about the honesty of the table crew then you advise we need to trust them. How can this be?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you saying "YES" he could've asked the table crew if there was a "VIOLATION" on the floor? Please tell me that's not what you're saying yes to.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
2 questions:

1. Based on what can the table help make *this* call?

2. First you advise we need to be careful about the honesty of the table crew then you advise we need to trust them. How can this be?
1. Dan, this is a gray area. I wouldn't ever ask the table if a player traveled, however, there is a casebook play which allows the referee to consult the table to determine if a try was in flight or a foul occurred before an unheard horn. (2.13)
Plus have you ever heard of an official asking the table for help on which player committed a foul when the number is forgotten by the officials?
How much you involve the table with calls on the court is very sensitive. I'd like to keep it to a minimum, but I would also like to do all that I can to get the play right for the coaches and kids. Whether the ball hit a pole or struck a wire is a factual issue to me, just as whether a try was released before or after a horn. This is not the same as a judgment call on whether or not a foul occurred.
If you deem that this is a call that an official on the court must make or it simply gets missed, then I can see the validity in that as well.

2. Would you be happier if I had instead written "to rely upon your table to do their job and handle the clock"? I think your second criticism is purely about diction.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Why is that team shooting a double bonus when there are only 6 team fouls recorded on the board? Why didn't the trail close down on the 2nd free throw attempt? He is actually backing up! I will cut a lot more slack to officials if they are hustling. These two guys were just plain lazy.