Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hi

Im 16 years old
i'm about 6'7 201 with shoes on.
i ask some coach's in U.S, and they told me, that the high of the player that we se on TV or internet is with the shoes on. is it correct?
anyway, i know that i will grow more, but i need help because i dont know into what postion to practice.
I dont live in U.S, and the coach always put me up as a center because im the highest player on the team. now i know how play from the outside, but wich postion do you think i need to train? SF, or PF?
im very strong, a little heavy.
what is the best for me to work for?
now, do you know any NBA players that play on SF and only panatrate?

daniel
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Daniel
Few tips since you asked, even though this is a ref's board.

You should always work to develop to be as complete a player as you can be. Kevin Garnett is 6'11" or so. Players of that height used to be positioned within 10 feet of the basket at all times. They never dribble penetrated, they never shot outside. KG takes 3 pointers, drives, has a lot of different abilities that he developed. And he is a top level professional as a result of his work.

There are players your size who can play the point or the 2 guard. It is up to you to decide what your potential is and what type of player you want to be. I make all my players work on their complete game, because you never know what they will be doing if they make a college, or, God willing, a pro team. They have much greater chance of succeeding if they are complete players.

So all of my players learn to triple threat, dribble, pass (and see the court), screen, cut off screens, block out for rebounds, and shoot -from lay-ups all the way to the three point line. I recommend you do the same if you want to increase your odds of a long career in basketball. And there are many self improvement workouts available that you can use to work on aspects of your game. Put in the time and improvement will come.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

sorry i didnt know that its a ref baord. i just looked for baksetball baords.
well in the drive mode, how do i work about that? i have drills to shoot, but what about driving?
can you tell me if the nba player high is really is with shoes on?

daniel
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Their heights should be without shoes on.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Their height and weight are whatever they want them to be. I never trust either to be 100% accurate to an arbitrary measure.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Check out this site.

Quote:
Originally posted by gura
sorry i didnt know that its a ref baord. i just looked for baksetball baords.
well in the drive mode, how do i work about that? i have drills to shoot, but what about driving?

daniel
Gura,

Check out this website. http://www.coachesclipboard.net/
It has individual player drills that will definitely improve your game. As for player true heights,the only time NBA players true heights are given is during the NBA draft. Afterwards its whatever they want it to be. I also would think its with shoes off.

HawksCoach,
Take a peak at the site and let me know what you think. I used a lot of the drills and plays on my summer rec league team (15-17 yr olds). Most of the players on my team which includes my son play on the high school team. The site was very helpful and the players were impressed with some of the drills.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
daniel
NBA players get high with or without their shoes on.

As far as measurments, Juulie told me they measure with their shoes off but their jocks on. Of course, the WNBA is different.

Oh,oh! I'm in trouble now.

Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
As far as measurments, Juulie told me they measure with their shoes off but their jocks on.
And Juulie is the EXPERT!!?? Mark you are in worse shape than I thought. PS are you going to be at the Lloyd Center next weekend? I want to contact your wife and be sure you get back on your meds by tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 06:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
PS are you going to be at the Lloyd Center next weekend?
You know I never cross the river to the east side. It's too much hassle exchanging money on the Fremont bridge. Besides, it rains on your side of town.

Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
PS are you going to be at the Lloyd Center next weekend?
You know I never cross the river to the east side. It's too much hassle exchanging money on the Fremont bridge. Besides, it rains on your side of town.

...and besides, you didn't get invited, right!?!
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Hey, gura.

Whatever regimen you decide to use, I suggest you start today, and work every day: rain, shine, snow, gloom of night, weekdays, weekends, holidays. At 16, if you're not already highly skilled, you're behind. And, if you're not totally committed to becoming better, you're too late.

And, a question for Hawks Coach. You used to participate in the boards of worldofsports.com, didn't you? Any idea what happened to that site?

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

ok thanks, i think im behind.
im trying to focus as a SF, but evreybody are just faster.
i dont know, a 6'8 player is too small for PF.
im a player that have a good shopping, pantetrate not too good.
what should i do?
do you think that by age of 18 i can race and make my best of my self?

thnks
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Hey, gura.

Whatever regimen you decide to use, I suggest you start today, and work every day: rain, shine, snow, gloom of night, weekdays, weekends, holidays. At 16, if you're not already highly skilled, you're behind. And, if you're not totally committed to becoming better, you're too late.

And, a question for Hawks Coach. You used to participate in the boards of worldofsports.com, didn't you? Any idea what happened to that site?
Dennis Rodman started playing serious ball his second or third year of college, but always lacked the ball skills as a result of not having done the work early. Forget the wierdness that manifested itself later, he was a gifted athlete that learned how to succeed in certain aspects of the game.

16 may be too late, but it is definitely something that requires a very serious commitment at this point.

As for the worldofsports.com, I was never a regular contributor to any coach's board. I may have registered there, as I did at a couple of coach discussion boards. Never found one that I liked. I tend to read things on various coaching sites and send in drills to boards that accept them.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I see.

Hi guys, its not that I just statred play.
i just have a probleme, i dont know what i need to do as SF. i think i can be a great player, i have great passing, and eve-vision, my shooting is ok, defence ok. my big probleme are with the athlets and pantrte and dribbling.

that's all,

i mean, i can work hard, but on what? how i making myself to the best SF?
can you give me an example on good SF nba players?

daniel
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Small Forwards

Quote:
I see.

Hi guys, its not that I just statred play.
i just have a probleme, i dont know what i need to do as SF. i think i can be a great player, i have great passing, and eve-vision, my shooting is ok, defence ok. my big probleme are with the athlets and pantrte and dribbling.

that's all,

i mean, i can work hard, but on what? how i making myself to the best SF?
can you give me an example on good SF nba players?

daniel
Pippen (Use to Be)
Grant Hill (Use to Be)
TMac
Kobe
Mashburn
Paul Pierce
All can shoot and handle the ball. Today's NBA SF is usually able to play the 1-3 positions. As Hawks Coach stated be a "complete player". You might be behind some, but there are guys your size in the NBA that make just because they HUSSLE! For instance, Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace. Both are around 6'7" and HUSSLE on every play.