The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I will be interested to see how Vermont fares. They already went through their low when they lost to Albany by 1 on Saturday so they actually have had some time to regain their focus. Hoping for some more of that Bob Huggins post-season magic.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I've found that what happens in the NIT is not a good indicator of what a team could have or would have done in the NCAA. Teams sometimes are disappointed or don't care when they play in the NIT.

If they don't care about playing in the NIT, then don't accept the invitation.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
If they don't care about playing in the NIT, then don't accept the invitation.
It possible that their institution requires them to go. Their hearts just may not be in it after failing to receive an NCAA bid.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

The NIT game between Air Force and Austin Peay, which I was really looking forward to watching this evening, is being put off due to the women's tennis match going to a third set on ESPN2 right now. I am missing the entire first half.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Mar 14, 2007 at 11:38pm.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Well the tennis is finally over and I get to see the second half of the game.

With 16:14 remaining Air Force's Nick Welch picks up a loose ball in the lane and goes in for a shot. He is fouled on the arm and the ball comes out of his hands a foot or so and while still airborne he catches it again with both hands and tosses it into the basket. The officials counted the goal.

I disagree with that decision.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone find the 10-second call in the Kansas St.-Vermont game a little strange? It looked like to me that the Trail had the count, and hadn't gotten to 10 yet, when the Center comes flying from across the court toward the table with the 10-second call. Anyone know what happened?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't get to see the game. Perhaps you've heard that I was stuck with my ESPN2 showing women's tennis.

I'll have to look for that play on SportsCenter.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Center comes flying from across the court toward the table with the 10-second call
Please tell me you are joking. That's something that can get someone fired.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I wish I was joking. As I said, this is what it looked like to me. I couldn't see the Trail, as the camera angle shifted to the Center, but perhaps he had the call first and the Center just repeated it, though that seems far fetched.

The announcers and the coaches (not that they know anything about the rules) seemed fine with it, which leads me to believe that maybe I missed something. That's why I posted here, just looking to see if possibly I missed something.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 05:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well the tennis is finally over and I get to see the second half of the game.

With 16:14 remaining Air Force's Nick Welch picks up a loose ball in the lane and goes in for a shot. He is fouled on the arm and the ball comes out of his hands a foot or so and while still airborne he catches it again with both hands and tosses it into the basket. The officials counted the goal.

I disagree with that decision.
Me too, if that's what happened.

The initial try ended when he grabbed the ball out of the air. The ball should have been dead then, by rule. He then put a dead ball in the basket-i.e. a second shot per se. Shouldn't have counted that one imo either.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 06:57am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Do you have any idea what the shot clock said?

Do you know why I ask and do you think it should matter?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Do you have any idea what the shot clock said?

Do you know why I ask and do you think it should matter?
I know why you are asking, but I don't think it should matter.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 07:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
This is not something that will get you fired. If you know that the shot clock started when the offensive team gained control, and you know that the shot clock now reads 25, then 10 seconds have elapsed.

Why should the violation be ignored simply because the Trail has a slow count? This is actually pre-gamed by many officials in my area.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Young ladies sweating

Quote:
The NIT game between Air Force and Austin Peay, which I was really looking forward to watching this evening, is being put off due to the women's tennis match going to a third set on ESPN2 right now. I am missing the entire first half.
But you got to watch Daniella and her opponent. Peer is having a great year. She is moving up steadily in the rankings. Though she did brain-fart that match away. I met both those players at The Bank Of the West tournament last year.

Nevadaref, in June I am up at Incline Village and also Lakeridge tennis club for tournaments. I know lots of the tennis players from the Reno area. They are included in the Northern Cal section for USTA. Not that people care about tennis around here but I am an accomplished tennis player-for someone my age.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I'm not actually sure about the shot clock deal, but now that you mention it, that could have been it. That's why I posted here. I figured there had to be a good reason for the Center to call a ten-second violation.

As to whether or not it matters, and there's an old thread about this, that depends on how much you trust your shot clock operator to get it right. Per the rulebook, though, the official's count is the only one that matters.