The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Rule Change Proposals

This week, I received a form for making rule change suggestions to the FED. Anybody can get the form and make a suggestion, I guess. But I happen to know a member of the rules committee, so he sends me the form directly. If you have a rule that you think should be changed and you would like me to send it on to the committee, here's your chance!

To be submitted, the change has to be submitted exactly as you think it should read in the book. Also, they want us to note exactly what part of the existing rule would have to be deleted, if necessary. Finally (enough hoops to jump through? ), they ask to note other rules and cases affected by the proposed change.

So it's not enough to say, "I'd like to see them go to the POI for a single technical foul". It needs to be written up precisely as it would appear in next year's rulebook.

I got a tremendous response last year when I asked for case book play proposals, so I hope that you have some ideas to pass along.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Chuck...good to hear from you again.

Obviously, the NFHS "Blarge" to match the NCAA-W "Blarge" mechanic.
(As evident in previous posts)
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Either allow college players to call a time-out while airborne (while heading out-of-bounds) or else don't allow NFHS players to do it. Make it the same for crying out loud.

Change slapping the backboard to basket interference if the ball is on the cylinder. Or else make it a T anytime a player slaps the backboard, not just if the officials think they are doing it on purpose.

Get a clarification from the NHFS about a foul on a player who is shooting and then passes after the foul is called. Do they get 2 shots because they were in the shooting motion or is it a non-shooting foul because they ended up passing the ball?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

How about a "sideline warning" for coaches out of their box, similar to the football rule. First time it's a warning. Any additional, technical foul. Maybe even make it one of the "formal warning" items, although, I would make it a warning of it's own.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:34pm
M.A.S.H.

In Illinois we had a warning last year, it was removed this year and is now an automatic T.

I think I would like to see team control during a throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Change team control to include a throwin for the purposes of the team control foul...just like the NCAA rule.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Who's the new guy that started this thread?

Wait a minute......

Is it?

Could it be?

Damn, I thought we got rid of him permanently. Sumb!tch has made more comebacks now than George Foreman!

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:29pm.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is a true Chuck Elias sighting!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

With the way the game is going, contact and rough play wise, I'd be in favor of changing the bonus situation and eliminating the 1 and 1. 2 shots at the 7th foul, and 2 shots plus the ball at the 10th foul.

Fed needs to drop the idea that fouling to stop the clock is a legitimate coaching strategy. I know its been around forever, but the thought of essentially saying "it is a legitimate coaching strategy to break the rules if you think it will give you an advantage, as long as you are willing to pay for it" is ridiculous.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
With the way the game is going, contact and rough play wise, I'd be in favor of changing the bonus situation and eliminating the 1 and 1. 2 shots at the 7th foul, and 2 shots plus the ball at the 10th foul.

Fed needs to drop the idea that fouling to stop the clock is a legitimate coaching strategy. I know its been around forever, but the thought of essentially saying "it is a legitimate coaching strategy to break the rules if you think it will give you an advantage, as long as you are willing to pay for it" is ridiculous.
Why? I think it's perfectly acceptable and has always been in basketball.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

The did that already.

It was such a huge success they changed it back a couple of years later.

I have an idea though. Let's not have ANY changes next year. None at all, leave everything the way it was, only change the year and the committee members.

Now that would be new.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
On a throw-in only: delayed return to the court by inbounder is a violation rather than a technical.

Coaches can call time-out only during a dead ball.

Now I've gotta go fill in the form.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The did that already.
When did they do that?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think an Indirect Technical to the HC should be added for substitutes who do not report correctly (ie substitutes entering the court without reporting or without being beckoned.) as per Rule 10-2.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about a "sideline warning" for coaches out of their box, similar to the football rule. First time it's a warning. Any additional, technical foul. Maybe even make it one of the "formal warning" items, although, I would make it a warning of it's own.
I'll second this one.