The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Dunk dead ball

A1 is on a fast break at his own FT line when B1 catches up and hacks him. Whistle for the foul, before the shot. It's a fairly loud gym, but I heard the whistle from the top of the stands. A1 continues with the play and dunks the ball. B1 is with the A1 all the way to basket, so it's possible players didn't "hear" the whistle.

Would you call the T in this sitch or not. It's a subsectional playoff game, second half of a fairly close game.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp
A1 is on a fast break at his own FT line when B1 catches up and hacks him. Whistle for the foul, before the shot. It's a fairly loud gym, but I heard the whistle from the top of the stands. A1 continues with the play and dunks the ball. B1 is with the A1 all the way to basket, so it's possible players didn't "hear" the whistle.

Would you call the T in this sitch or not. It's a subsectional playoff game, second half of a fairly close game.
No.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I got nuttin'.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

Nope, I got nada....
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:

Unless you want to get chased go ahead and tech him. If i were on the game I have nothing.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

To me, the intent of the rule is to define "dead ball" in this instance as a time when EVERYBODY in the gym (particularly the players) knows its dead rather than a situation in the rules where dead ball timing is made fairly precise (e.g. foul during shot attempt).
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Infamous DeadBall Dunk

Here in Connecticut, we had an infamous, dead ball dunk back in the early 1980's. It was a long time ago, so I'm a little "fuzzy" regarding some of the specifics:

I believe it was Springfield College at Southern Connecticut State College, two NCAA division II teams. The game went right down to the last second, and after the final buzzer sounded, one of the players on the "winning" team dunked the ball to celebrate, before the officials had approved the final score and left the confines of the court. A technical foul was called, and the "losing" team went on to win in either regulation or overtime.

I can't remember which team actually won, or whether the game was won in regulation or overtime. I'm sure that some Forum members will be more than willing to fill in some of the facts in my "fuzzy" recollection.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Here in Connecticut, we had an infamous, dead ball dunk back in the early 1980's. It was a long time ago, so I'm a little "fuzzy" regarding some of the specifics:

I believe it was Springfield College at Southern Connecticut State College, two NCAA division II teams. The game went right down to the last second, and after the final buzzer sounded, one of the players on the "winning" team dunked the ball to celebrate, before the officials had approved the final score and left the confines of the court. A technical foul was called, and the "losing" team went on to win in either regulation or overtime.

I can't remember which team actually won, or whether the game was won in regulation or overtime. I'm sure that some Forum members will be more than willing to fill in some of the facts in my "fuzzy" recollection.
Do you recall if there was any rule changes after this incident?

I'm seeing a lot of inappropriate things going on now after the big DI games on TV. Guys pulling their jersey's out/off, etc., etc. I find it amazing how on this forum, we are expected to get every little stitch correct but it is not being enforced at the highest level and when I try to inject common sense into it (what is being done at the highest levels) I am shot down like I'm the enemy.

Interesting, there must be something in the kool-aid.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Off The .....

From Old School: "Do you recall if there was any rule changes after this incident?"

I'm a NFHS official, and this was an NCAA game, so I don't know if there was a NCAA rule change as a result of this situation. What I do know, is, after this situation, the interpreter of our local IAABO board encouraged us to get off the floor and away from the visual confines of the playing area as soon as possible. No signing the book. No waiting for the hand shake line. No talking to a friendly fan, site director, or athletic director. Just make eye contact with the official scorekeeper to "approve" the final score, and run, not walk, off the court, away from the "visual confines of the playing area" as soon as possible, and don't look back.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 01:25pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Do you recall if there was any rule changes after this incident?

I'm seeing a lot of inappropriate things going on now after the big DI games on TV. Guys pulling their jersey's out/off, etc., etc.
I believe it is only the NFHS that addresses taking off uniforms. NCAA, as far as I know, does not address this at all.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 03:06pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

This literally just happened in the OSU-Purdue game.