The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 07:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Great mechanics plus poor judgement = no more playoff games, imho.
What exactly is a play-off game in NCAA basketball? And how did you determine his 'judgement' was bad? Looked like a good call to me.

(I know, I'm breaking my own "don't respond to Old School" edict )
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The defender needs to be set in front of the offensive player.
I had been giving Old School the benefit of the doubt. Guess I learned my lesson.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 09:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Really???? So, if I have LGP, while sliding laterally w/ an offensive player, and he runs through me, even though he doesn't dip a shoulder or throw an elbow, you're calling a block on me????? You would also then be calling a technical on me as well, I believe. And probably my coach, and the ***'t coach, and ......

No playoffs for you either, IMHO.
Don't go getting all technical and defensive. Remember I did say this: "True, you could call a offensive foul from an elbow or a push while both players are moving."

Did you recall reading that or did you just read what you wanted to read and ignored the rest. If you're going to comment try to take everything that's said into consideration and not just pick out the parts you don't like to make your point. This is called propaganda, misrepresenting the truth (or what was actually said) for personal gain. Now, do you have a comment on the topic of discussion?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You don't need an elbow or a push to call an offensive foul here. That's the problem with your logic. A defensive player does not need to be "set" in order to draw a run of the mill player control foul. He can be moving to maintain position. Read the rule book on Legal Guarding Position.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't go getting all technical and defensive. Remember I did say this: "True, you could call a offensive foul from an elbow or a push while both players are moving."

Did you recall reading that or did you just read what you wanted to read and ignored the rest. If you're going to comment try to take everything that's said into consideration and not just pick out the parts you don't like to make your point. This is called propaganda, misrepresenting the truth (or what was actually said) for personal gain. Now, do you have a comment on the topic of discussion?
What Snaqwells said...and if I recall on an earlier thread, weren't you the one who decided to pick and choose what you read regarding one of my posts? Oh yea, and you said that I didn't deserve playoff games either. Yeesh.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

re:

In article published in the Baton Rouge (LA) Advocate the day after, the official on that play, Bert Smith, was said to have apologized for the call to Collis Temple Jr. His kid, Garrett Temple, up the offensive foul. Garrett was quoted as saying that another official told him it shouldn't have been a foul. I was watching and thought Bert missed it. I didn't think he had a great angle, but he sold it like a muther.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
This is a problem because the call was offensive. The defender needs to be set in front of the offensive player. True, you could call a offensive foul from an elbow or a push while both players are moving. However, with the game in the balance, I think the official reach on this one, and I also think if he had it to do over, he would not make that call. All in all, he's probably not going to get another playoff game because of that one call. He certainly won't make the Final Four with end of game judgement like that. He has great mechanics though. Great mechanics plus poor judgement = no more playoff games, imho.

Old School:

Please read the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's or FIBA rules books. You will see that: 1) The definitions of both guarding and screening are identical in all three codes; 2) This is a situation where the defensive player is effecting a legal moving screen against the offensive player and the offensive player moved into the defensive player.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio