The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

What does it take to be considered a top notch official

I have often wondered about this. I have worked numerous High School Playoff games as well as the State Tournament while others that I think deserve to go are continually looked over. The things that I look for in an official must be totally different than what others look for. Would be interested to hear from you on what you would look for.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think this varies from one place to another so drastically no one can give you a definitive answer. Of course working a state final would be a great help, but I would assume that working in the playoffs multiple times and working big high profile games can help. Even how you deal with coaches and the quality of your calls will also play a factor.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

In advancing being good always isn't enough, it could also come down to who plays politics the best.

It's not fair, but that's the way it is.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ill give a list of some things that I think are most important in being considered a quality official.

1. Appearance----meaning Posture, you can sell alot with a look of confidence.

2. Sharp Mechanics-------- be crisp, but dont over officiate. Dont draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

3. Judgement------ being consistent. See it happen then make the call. One of the greatest philosophies that I have learned over time.

4. Communication-----being aware of whats going on, clock, fouls, relaying messages amongst other officials.

5. Game mangagement------interaction with other officials and score keeper and timer. They are your best friends at the time, be their best friend as well.

Feel free, to add more.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
mightyvol

Ill give a list of some things that I think are most important in being considered a quality official.

2. Sharp Mechanics-------- be crisp, but dont over officiate. Dont draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

3. Judgement------ being consistent. See it happen then make the call. One of the greatest philosophies that I have learned over time.

4. Communication-----being aware of whats going on, clock, fouls, relaying messages amongst other officials.

5. Game mangagement------interaction with other officials and score keeper and timer. They are your best friends at the time, be their best friend as well.
1 and 2 are at the top of the list for what you can do, but Politics is above them. Period.

Going to camps helps your chances.

#5 as far as the table goes, no way that helps anyone. JMO
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

What do you mean by politics? If you ask me that claim of politics is just an excuse for not taking responsibility for what you cannot do.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

#6. The respect of your peers...
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What do you mean by politics? If you ask me that claim of politics is just an excuse for not taking responsibility for what you cannot do.

Peace
I was just thinking the same thing.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Politics-

Kissing butt. You know it exists. To deny it is a lie.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 08:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So, politics is what? Being nice to the right people? Getting to know people? I'm not saying it's not there; it would have to be defined before I could say that.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think the definition of a top notch official depends on what perspective you are looking at it from. If you are talking amongst other officials, mechanics, communication, rules knowledge, personality, etc. are all certainly what I look for in a partner. If you are talking about what it takes to get tournament games, you'd have to ask those that assign them. All of the aforementioned aspects are certainly looked at, but you also have to be seen on the right game on the right night, have good contacts, and there is absolutely a little luck involved. I try not to worry about the stuff I can't control. I try to get better every time out, be a good partner, and hopefully the rest will fall into place through my hard work.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Politic plays a part in terms of getting you high profile games... but if you ain't sharp enough, even with top notch games it won't get you anywhere. Stick with the basic and do your best at all time... someone out there will know!!!!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Top Notch Official

REACTION TIME
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important, the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials Manual.

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Politics-

Kissing butt. You know it exists. To deny it is a lie.
Could you define that further? I have never seen anyone actually kiss someone's butt. I have seen officials hang around and talk to certain people, but that does not get you hired automatically or even considered seriously in the circles I have run in. As a matter of fact if you try to do this it does not work very well from what I have seen. You are still required to attend camps, attend meetings and do more than just pay some money to an association and all of a sudden games are going to fly in your lap.

I guess it is better to blame someone than look in the mirror and take responsibility for your own short comings.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvol

Feel free, to add more.
I like your list, but I would like to add communication with and listening to coaches. I think this is one thing that can make a big difference for an official.