The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Question BU v SIU tournament game...

did the NCAA official make the correct call on the last throw in play in the Bradley v SIU semi-final game? 3.2 second left, BU to inbound the ball, the SIU player who is OOB due to a missed lay up. the SIU player appears to accidentally contact the BU player who is now OOB and that contact make the BU player fall inbounds with the ball. the official blew it dead. gave out no fouls or delay of game warning. but, just gave the ball back to BU for a throw in. was that correct? as an official, i think i have a delay of game warning on SIU. your thoughts?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

You say the bump appeared to be accidental. Sounds like it was correctly handled to me.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 11:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Why was there a player still OOB when the official is about to administer a throw-in? Or did the SIU player miss a lay-up and somebody made a tip-in?

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 12:15pm.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up here's a link to the actual video of the play in question...

http://members.cox.net/goshoxgo/SIUBU.wmv

let me know what you think, please!?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
http://members.cox.net/goshoxgo/SIUBU.wmv

let me know what you think, please!?
I think the official handled it perfectly.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I think the official handled it perfectly.
I agree the official handled it correctly. But that was not an accident. A very shrewd move by Tatum.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I agree the official handled it correctly. But that was not an accident. A very shrewd move by Tatum.
Can you explain to me why? I've had 2 BU fans call me today about this. And they both said that by stopping the play, it gave SIU a HUGE advantage to stop a potential break. I think they might be right about that. And the video shows Tatum in my opinion, accidentally bump the BU player. And the reason I say "accidentally" is because Tatum has his arms straight up in the air...but, i was just wondering. I'm sure the BU coach wanted sometimes.

That's way I told my BU friends, I would have issued "Delay of game" warning. But, I don't work NCAA ball, so, that's why I posted the question and video link.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What violation did he commit that would warrant a delay of game warning?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem with the way this was handled.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What violation did he commit that would warrant a delay of game warning?
good question...what about breaking the throw in plane? and if that not correct, why didn't the official charge the BU player with a throw in violation for stepping inbounds prior to releasing the ball on the throw in?

i just think that since the official blew his whistle, that something other than a "do over" should have happened. and i'm not sure what, but i'm trying to figure this out for learning purposes. if no delay of game, then certainly we have a throw in violation on the BU player. had the BU player, not ended up on the floor and "inbounds" but had stayed OOB, then I think you have a no call and no whistle. but, the official blow his whistle for something. why did he blow the whistle, what's the call???? "DO OVER"???!!!! what the heck it that...
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We can blow our whistle for a do-over on throwins. If the thrower fumbles the ball when we bounce it to him, we tweet and start over. There's your precedent.

If the player was OOB trying to get back in, you can't call Delay of Game because he was legally OOB. Otherwise, you'd have coaches demanding the DoG warnings and technicals every time a shooter was still OOB following his shot if the other team gets it at their disposal quick enough.

The only other call you could possibly make would be an intentional foul for fouling a thrower on the throwin.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I totally agree this was not an accident. Tatum goes out of his way to do this. He goes OOB on one side of the lane and comes back in completely on the other side?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And the video shows Tatum in my opinion, accidentally bump the BU player. And the reason I say "accidentally" is because Tatum has his arms straight up in the air...but, i was just wondering. I'm sure the BU coach wanted sometimes.
"Arms up" is meaningless, IMO. I see players with their arms up all the time while they walk into a shooter or ball handler.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
good question...what about breaking the throw in plane? and if that not correct, why didn't the official charge the BU player with a throw in violation for stepping inbounds prior to releasing the ball on the throw in?

i just think that since the official blew his whistle, that something other than a "do over" should have happened. and i'm not sure what, but i'm trying to figure this out for learning purposes. if no delay of game, then certainly we have a throw in violation on the BU player. had the BU player, not ended up on the floor and "inbounds" but had stayed OOB, then I think you have a no call and no whistle. but, the official blow his whistle for something. why did he blow the whistle, what's the call???? "DO OVER"???!!!! what the heck it that...
I think this was the only common sense thing to do. The shooter is now out of bounds because he lost his balance and fell. He got up in a frenzy and ran back onto the floor, which he is allowed to do. I do not feel he did anything wrong according to the rule, he just ran into the thrower and the thrower ran into him. All he could really call is an intentional foul if you want to be very technical about the rule. But the player was not defending the thrower he was just running to a spot. If he attempted to block the pass I might think something should be called. That apparently did not happen, so I agree with the officials. Now the reason I think some of us say this is because this is not a common occurrence and there is nothing in the rules that supports your opinion directly. So the officials have leeway to decide what is fair and what is best.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I totally agree this was not an accident. Tatum goes out of his way to do this. He goes OOB on one side of the lane and comes back in completely on the other side?
This is not uncommon. I often see players make a layup, and then "circle around" and come back inbounds on the other side of the key.