The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have just completed my 5th year of HighSchool officiating. I felt that I had a break through year. I had games with the 7th &9th rated AA boys teams, 6th & 10th AA girls teams. We are a rural association, with only 1 AA dist. & only 1 AAA(highest in our state) team. I had the AAA team 3 times, and only a couple games in the lowest dist. "A". I did 4 tourney games last season, including "A" boys dist championship. However, this season, after all the games I worked, I only got 1 tourney assignment, and it was the lowest 2 seeds in the girls A dist. Several other officials with less years & games than I got 2,3&4 assignments. I have tried to talk to the assigning officer, but all I get are cliche type answers, such as "get taller" or "be bigger". I have talked to several of the veteran officials in our association, and have asked their objective opinions of my officiating. All say I do a good job. I have even gotten kudos from fans & coaches after games. What can I do to get more tourney assigments from this supervisor?? He seems to favor certain guys from his area of our association.I am trying to stay objective & want to be the best I can be.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Unhappy

Welcome to the realities of basketball officiating. There will be times in your career that you will feel passed over for people who are not nearly as talented as you are. There will be other times when you will pass others who may actually be better than you. The best advice that you can take is to go on the floor every night and give the best possible effort. DO NOT BRAG TO OTHERS ABOUT YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS. They will know what kind of an official you are.

Silence can't be quoted, so remain positive and make no negative comments about those who get the assignments you covet. Over time, the kudos that are deserved will come. Officiating is a marathon, not a sprint. Take your time and do your best, and down the road you will see the benefits of doing it the right way (which is not the brown-nose way that the sprinters do).
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

The best advice I can give you is! "Do the one game that you were assigned like it is the championship game!" Give the kids your best! If this is the end of the season for you! Work hard this off-season, stay in shape, read and re-read the rules, stay polished! Don't fret over the game or games you didn't get!
I've been in your shoes!

AK ref SE
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have been in your position. Several years ago I felt I was being passed for post-season assignments for lesser offficials. However, I let the hurt and jealousy eat me up for a time. It affected my game. So much so that my regular partner talked to me about splitting since I was not carrying my weight.

Since then I have switched to reffing each night with the purpose of enjoying myself, doing my best, and not worring about the consequences. My officiating has improved immensely along with my confidence and my post-season assignments. The last 2 years I have earned regional games in both boys and girls. Keep working hard and improving and better games and assignments will come your way.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Last I checked, stocks don't climb in a linear rate either. They have their bad days and years too. Just because the politics doesn't work in your favor this year, doesn't mean it won't work next year. Keep the faith. Carry on and work hard for next year. Finding the right camp this summer won't hurt either.

Here is hoping that next year I am in your shoes.

Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I like your attitude, buffett. This is a good way to battle the politics of officiating. If it is meant to happen, it will.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

While politics do come into play, just keep wokring hard on getting better. If you have a good reputation with coachs, they will start asking where you are when tournaments start. Be patient.