The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Fastest T in The West

Well, at least my fastest T in a game, ever.

Men's wreck league. It's tournament time and I'm working a loser's bracket game, so...the loser is done for the year.

Opening jump goes to red. White gets a steal, and throws it downcourt to their man streaking for the basket. The only other person in that end of the floor is a trailer from red. Streaker Man decides to get cute and rather than just going for the layup, he's going to get Trailer Dude in the air and draw a foul. Which he does, Trailer Dude goes airborne and comes down on Streaker Man. But in the process Streaker Man travels. My parnter calls it.

Streaker Man apparently doesn't care for my partner's call and proceeds to say to me, quite loudly and clearly, "That call was complete bull crap!" Easy T. Seemingly not the reaction he wanted, so he tries my partner to see if he gets a better response.

Did I mention that this league frowns quite seriously on player's earning Ts? First one of the season you're done for the rest of the game. Second one, you're done for that one and the next. Third, you're done for the year.

So, about 10 seconds into a must-win game, Streaker Man gets himself tossed.

Oh, did I mention that Streaker Man works for the city's rec department?
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Nice T, I wish my refs would come down that hard in the men's league I run.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had one in an 8th grade AAU game today. Same partner I had last week with my two Ts in two games. 2nd game today, and about half way through the third quarter I call their best post player for a travel on an otherwise decent looking move. Both coaches stand up and yell "that's not a travel."
I didn't bother with a stop sign or a warning light or a yield sign or anything. I ring up the assistant with the accompanying indirect on the head coach. Partner seat belts the coach, and all is well the rest of the game.

After the game, both coaches come up and chat, very cordially. Assistant coach apologizes saying he didn't realize he couldn't stand. I smile and nod and the head coach adds, "If I'd known I was going to have to sit, he'd have had a seat belt." Intense coaches, but they just needed a bit of guidance.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Men's wreck league. It's tournament time and I'm working a loser's bracket game
Aren't they ALL losers in rec league play?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 03:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Had one in an 8th grade AAU game today. Same partner I had last week with my two Ts in two games. 2nd game today, and about half way through the third quarter I call their best post player for a travel on an otherwise decent looking move. Both coaches stand up and yell "that's not a travel." I didn't bother with a stop sign or a warning light or a yield sign or anything. I ring up the assistant with the accompanying indirect on the head coach. Partner seat belts the coach, and all is well the rest of the game.
Wow, that was a quick technical! What the hell you so upset about? You even admitted it was a decent move. Now you go and ruin it with a technical! That's emotion coming from the coaches and they are allowed to stand up for an exciting play. That's not trying to show you up. Just say no, it's a travel, put the ball in play. This is a perfect time to just put the hand up, stop sign, that's enough coaches! They run thru the stop sign, or rag on about it, then you whack em!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I used to, half jokingly, say that game fees for AAU tournaments only paid for my whistle, not for my game management skills.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Wow, that was a quick technical! What the hell you so upset about? You even admitted it was a decent move. Now you go and ruin it with a technical! That's emotion coming from the coaches and they are allowed to stand up for an exciting play. That's not trying to show you up. Just say no, it's a travel, put the ball in play. This is a perfect time to just put the hand up, stop sign, that's enough coaches! They run thru the stop sign, or rag on about it, then you whack em!
I wasn't upset. Do I need to be upset to call a technical? If I wait until I'm upset before calling the T, I've let them get under my skin. No thanks.
Yes, they can stand to cheer their team. They cannot stand to jeer the officials.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I used to, half jokingly, say that game fees for AAU tournaments only paid for my whistle, not for my game management skills.

Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:59pm

Quote:
I wasn't upset. Do I need to be upset to call a technical? If I wait until I'm upset before calling the T, I've let them get under my skin. No thanks.
Yes, they can stand to cheer their team. They cannot stand to jeer the officials.
I'm sorry Snags, you overreacted! They got under your skin. You got to get out more man, put the rulebook down, take a deep breath, relax, now repeat after me. "it ain't all about me!...."
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, OS! You bait other officials as well as coaches and players!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 07:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm sorry Snags, you overreacted! They got under your skin. You got to get out more man, put the rulebook down, take a deep breath, relax, now repeat after me. "it ain't all about me!...."
You're welcome to your opinion. However, we've been told directly to control this behavior the way I did it. Also, regardless of what you say, he wasn't under my skin. But, again, if you want to think I let him get to me, that's your right. I know better, because I was there and I know how calm I was. The T worked, both coaches settled down the rest of the game and we had a very cordial chat afterwards (standard in AAU ball).

I'm beyond the point in my career where I make calls I can't justify, so feel free to ask questions and learn any lessons you can.

Oh, and one more small point to help you look less ignorant. If your'e going to shorten my screen name and talk to me like a friend, use a Q instead of a G. It's more accurate.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Wow, OS! You bait other officials as well as coaches and players!
That's why he's a classic troll.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 06:56am

Quote:
You're welcome to your opinion. However, we've been told directly to control this behavior the way I did it. Also, regardless of what you say, he wasn't under my skin. But, again, if you want to think I let him get to me, that's your right. I know better, because I was there and I know how calm I was. The T worked, both coaches settled down the rest of the game and we had a very cordial chat afterwards (standard in AAU ball).
Nice try Snags with a "G", if he didn't get under your skin, why didn't you give him a warning? That's enough coach! Probably would have accomplished the same thing and got you even more respect without having to issue a technical. Since you want to talk about lessons learned. For the listening audience, is it better in your opinion, to address a potential problem situation using game management or just issuing a T? Better yet, if you're the assigner or coach, because let's face it, coaches have a voice too, who do you think will get the nod to move further, the quick draw T calling official or the official who applies good game management skills and doesn't have to issue a T to get his point across? Just thought I throw that in for food for thought. Not bad for a classic troll, uh!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Just thought I throw that in for food for thought. Not bad for a classic troll, uh!
Actually, it's just about right for a classic troll.

It makes no sense.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You really have no clue.

They're allowed to stand for an exciting play.

They aren't allowed to stand and yell at the official about a call they don't like.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith