The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 03:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Every time I read one of OS posts and the replies it generates, it makes me wonder if I should go see a Doctor. because I start laughing so much I think I have weakened my bladder and I pee a bit each time....
You're welcome for the laughts, just don't hurt yourself. Laughter is good for the sole, and you guys wanted me kicked out. See how much joy I have bought to the board!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 03:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Old School - I have asked you some direct questions several times before, and you have apparently chosen to ignore these questions. I think it's fair to everyone involved for you to either answer these questions truthfully, or stop posting your opinions.

1. Do you officiate basketball? Yes
2. What level(s) do you currently work? YMCA, grade school, high school, college, NBA? Everything except NBA.
4. How long have you worked at these levels? 15+ years
5. Do you have a current copy of the NFHS rule book? Next Question

If I am going to have my house re-wired, or if I'm going in to have knee surgery, I'm checking on the credentials of the person on whose opinions I am relying upon. No you're not, you're going to the hospital and you expect there will be a qualified doctor there that specializies in this type of surgery. I should qualify this. That's how most of us would do it.

In your case, you have posted many opinions that are well outside the norm in officiating circles, as well as many incorrect rule references and interpretations. If we knew of your actual credentials, it might lend some credence to your opinions. If you refuse to give us that information, you will continue to be looked upon as someone who knows very little about basketball officiating, and you will continue to get many negative responses on this forum, as you should.
Fisrt of all, I've answered the questions about my credentials, 2nd, I can live with that because after all, it's just my opinion! Have a nice day to you, too...
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If you honestly think Knight's assistant coaches are going to pull anything like what this assistant did, you're not really paying attention.
If you blow a damn traveling call like you did, you will hear it from them, or if they thought you blew it, you would hear it from them. There's no difference in coaches responses at any level if they think you blew a call.

Quote:
First off, you can't possibly think I'd officiate a major conference D-1 game the same way I officiate a 14u AAU game.
Why the hell not! Okay, so now you're saying if it's DI you won't make that call. That's what I was trying to tell you all alone. If you're not going to call if at the upper level, don't call it at the lower level. Give the coaches the same amount of respect, especially if you kicked the call.

Quote:
Secondly, I'll bet if you calm down, keep your emotions in check, and type more slowly, you could avoid these silly spelling errors.
Good one! I got a good laugh out of this one.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Fisrt of all, I've answered the questions about my credentials, 2nd, I can live with that because after all, it's just my opinion! Have a nice day to you, too...
Ok, humor me then. I missed the answers, so can you answer them again, right here?

1. Do you officiate basketball?
2. What level(s) do you currently work? YMCA, grade school, high school, D-3, D-2, D-1 college, NBA?
3. How long have you worked at these levels?
4. Do you have a current copy of the NFHS rule book?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, humor me then. I missed the answers, so can you answer them again, right here?

2. What level(s) do you currently work? YMCA, grade school, high school, D-3, D-2, D-1 college, NBA?
His answers were bolded in your quote on his post.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

I read the posts on this board often but have never posted. But now I feel I must. OldSchool makes me laugh as much as he does all of you. I am sure I am not alone on this but I thought I'd bring it anyway since it happens alot. Do you all notice that when a question is asked of him, he gives an answer only not to the question in its entirety? Example. When he was just asked about wht levels he officiates he answered yes to all except the NBA. Problem is when he pasted the original question he change the question. It went from D-III, D-II, D-I college, to just college. So now I want some more humor and I want to know which levels of college and which side, men or women. No one else here seems to have a problem ansering questions and getting feedback.......but OldSchool.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
His answers were bolded in your quote on his post.
Yep, you're right. I was looking for them in his answer following the quote.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If you blow a damn traveling call like you did, you will hear it from them, or if they thought you blew it, you would hear it from them. There's no difference in coaches responses at any level if they think you blew a call.
First off, I didn't blow the call. Had I blown it, I might have given them some leeway. I say "might" because I don’t know what I would have done since that's not how it happened.
Quote:
Why the hell not! Okay, so now you're saying if it's DI you won't make that call. That's what I was trying to tell you all alone. If you're not going to call if at the upper level, don't call it at the lower level. Give the coaches the same amount of respect, especially if you kicked the call.
I'm saying I don't know if I'd make that call at D1. I don't work D1 and I haven't had a discussion with D1 assigners that would tell me how they want this called. I do know my assigner wants this addressed, and when it gets to the point where it was in my game, he wants the T called. Let's just say there was more discussion in meetings this year about Ts that should have been called but weren't than Ts that were called but shouldn't have been (none).

I'm also saying, and you seem to have missed this part, that D1 assistant coaches wouldn't do an outburst like that. They can keep themselves under control. At this level, they don’t act like fans. Oddly enough, AAU coaches can keep themselves under control, too. I know, because I've seen them do it. This particular assistant coach was a gem the rest of the game; doubtful that it was because he thought I was reffing better. His head coach is actually quite good at asking questions during dead balls and time outs. Every other coach I've had after giving them a T in a previous game has controlled himself.

Also, AAU ball is not the same as D1 ball. Sportsmanship is more valued (at least around here) and expected to be enforced. I'm not going to tailor my game based on what I think I might call if I was officiating D1; that's ludicrous.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Old School, as worldbefree noted, you deleted the references as to which level of college you've worked. The implication in your answer is that you currently work all levels of college, including NCAA D-1. Is that correct? Since you also said you currently work all levels under NBA, is it true that you have worked both an NCAA D-1 game, and a grade school game recently? What college conference(s) do you work? If you feel uncomfortable giving that information out in a public setting, PM me and I will absolutely promise not to give it to anyone else. I will, however, be happy to become your ally if you can prove to me that you do currently work NCAA and HS basketball.

Also, why do you keep ducking the question about the NFHS rule books? It's a simple yes or no answer. The more you keep ducking the answer, or finding "cute" responses to the question, the more people believe you really don't have a copy. Which then leads to the issue of your credability when it comes to rules and opinions. I can sit a room full of doctors, and give my opinions on surgical techniques. And I can say I have a right to my opinion. But how much credence will they give me, given I have not even seen a medical textbook, much less studied one? We all know the answer to that. My opinion in that case is wothless, no matter how much I might feel I'm correct. That situation applies to your opinions here as well. You certainly have a "right" to express them, but without credability, they are worthless.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:19pm

Quote:
I do know my assigner wants this addressed, and when it gets to the point where it was in my game, he wants the T called. Let's just say there was more discussion in meetings this year about Ts that should have been called but weren't than Ts that were called but shouldn't have been (none).
Okay, I'm going to let you off the hook. If they want that called in your games, then you should call it. I commend your AAU assigners for wanting this called because these games can get out of control quick, mainly because of the uneducated coaches to coaching.

Quote:
Also, AAU ball is not the same as D1 ball. Sportsmanship is more valued (at least around here) and expected to be enforced. I'm not going to tailor my game based on what I think I might call if I was officiating D1; that's ludicrous.
Actually, if you're lucky enough, AAU ball is very competitive to DI if you get to work some of the bigger kids like 19U and 17U DI National teams. These games are very very good, the coaches are very very good, and the next year, you may see a lot of these players playing DI ball. So don't go putting down AAU too much.

Also, I'm going to give you some advise. Feel free to toss it in the trash after reading it. There should be no difference in the way you work a AAU game or any game for that matter, then the way you would work a college DI game. If you aspire to work DI college, every game you work must be like this. That's why you hear a lot of officials that work these upper level games say they don't want to work the lower level games anymore because it ruins there mechanics. Me and you, we got to work these lower level games to get there. It's important to tailor your game towards the highest level and then work it, work to get there. That way, if you where to be so lucky to get DI, you don't have to change anything major in your game.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 06:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Let me answer. This has already come out before anyway.

1) Not by the usual definition of "officiating", which includes training, rules knowledge, certification, etc. He is a rec-league traffic cop/babysitter.
2) Casual rec leagues only.
3) Per one of his old posts, over 10,000 games in 15 years. Do the math.
4) Not only does he not have a current copy of the FED rule or case book or manual, he has never had a copy of any of those publications.

Why are y'all wasting so much time on this clueless troll?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I dunno. I guess I was afraid to be lumped in with those dang French if I just gave up now.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Let me answer. This has already come out before anyway.

1) Not by the usual definition of "officiating", which includes training, rules knowledge, certification, etc. He is a rec-league traffic cop/babysitter.
2) Casual rec leagues only.
3) Per one of his old posts, over 10,000 games in 15 years. Do the math.
4) Not only does he not have a current copy of the FED rule or case book or manual, he has never had a copy of any of those publications.

Sounds like somebody jealous...
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I dunno. I guess I was afraid to be lumped in with those dang French if I just gave up now.
Will somebody hand me a towel. Quickly! I've got to get this Diet Pepsi off my monitor.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 07:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sounds like somebody jealous...
Sounds like somebody ain't denying any of what I posted either.....