The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

I happened to be at a meeting this evening, so I recorded the game. After watching the final foul a few times I have to say that it clearly meets the definition of an intentional personal foul and it is a shame that Larry Rose, who was the Trail official tableside, only called a common foul.

Hank Nichols will likely be putting this play on a training video and might even send out a bulletin. He can't be happy after watching that clip.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Whether it was intentional or not, fans can complain all they want.
Yes they can. But not here. We don't want *dexter* fanboys here and we don't tolerate *dexter* fanboys here. It's that simple, like it or not.

If they have a legitimate question, fine. If they just want to whine about the officials like this goober was, then screw 'em.

Last edited by mick; Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 08:16am.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

As I watched the play last night, I too thought intentional foul. After watching the replay there were two defensive players, one in front and the one trailing who grabbed the player/jersey. What was never clear is who got called for the foul. The officials out on the play was to call a block on the defender in front of the play before the grab occurred. If that is not what happened then they blatantly missed an intentional foul. TV never reported who the foul was called on.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 08:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I happened to be at a meeting this evening, so I recorded the game. After watching the final foul a few times I have to say that it clearly meets the definition of an intentional personal foul and it is a shame that Larry Rose, who was the Trail official tableside, only called a common foul.

Hank Nichols will likely be putting this play on a training video and might even send out a bulletin. He can't be happy after watching that clip.
It will not go on the training tape because the NCAA does not use plays from regular season games normally. It might go on a bulletin though.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I believe a common recourse in the Big XII, is for the President of the afflicted school, to send a letter to somebody, demanding the game be declared "no contest"
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I just looked

at the box score, it appears that A&M only shot 65% or so from the stripe....so while the questionable call looks bad and comes at an inoportune time, that free throw percentage isn't going to win a lot of games
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I will comment and give my 2 cents of whaT I think may happen. IF A&M feels that a unjust call was made? An official protest will be filed and the committee will review and then take proper action. whether correct call or not it's done and probably a good lesson for those officials. I find that what may be obvious to fans and people watching on TV, it's toatlly different what we as officials see on the court. IMO
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I will comment and give my 2 cents of whaT I think may happen. IF A&M feels that a unjust call was made? An official protest will be filed and the committee will review and then take proper action. whether correct call or not it's done and probably a good lesson for those officials. I find that what may be obvious to fans and people watching on TV, it's toatlly different what we as officials see on the court. IMO
A lesson for the officials (?)...these are three big time guys

Officials: John Higgins, Larry Rose, Mike Wood
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I watched the game and would have a hard time second guessing any official in a split second call like that....it could have been called intential and yet I see/work games all the time where a player (in a need to foul situation) doesn't make the cleanest attempt at the ball in trying to foul, and a personal foul -- rather than a flagrant is called.
I just think its difficult to second guess an instantaneous call like that.

I would comment on two things however. The game seemed more physical with fewer fouls called than in the several UT or A&M games I've watched this season. In fact, in two HS playoff games I worked in the past ten days, at least one of our group mentioned something to the effect of letting the kids play -- I guess that means playoff bball is meant to be called differently.

And in spite of the pace of play, I'm not sure I remember a guard being called for traveling or a post player called for 3 seconds. In watching the game, those calls seemed to be there on a pretty regular basis.

Again, does that mean playoff bball should be called significantly differently?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by waenloteion
I do feel though..and you can take this or leave it...that sarcastic responses may not be the best way to get rid of aggravated fans as most of the time (my case included ) it usually leads to them becoming more aggravated (like me).
First off, apology accepted.
Second, regarding the portion quoted above:
Getting rid of "trolls" is really kind of a secondary goal.

Let me explain with an analogy. I know people who own land/homes in rural areas that are infested with prairie dogs. To keep the animals away from the house, one in particular will get out one of his high powered rifles and shoot them when they get too close. Shooting a couple of them keeps the rest at a distance.

For some (and some will find this apalling), it's also good target practice and entertainment.

Many refer to the annual influx of fans into this board as trolls. I prefer to call them prairie dogs.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

I thought it was an intentional foul too. But, how many times do we as officials not call the intentional. We are engrained to let the kids decide the game and sometimes we bend the role as not to be the bad guy. It was a smart play by Texas. Take a gamble. Most refs will do what they did. Call the common foul. Watch games and ask officials - most will say that I knew it was intentional but didn't want to call it.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A lesson for the officials (?)...these are three big time guys

Officials: John Higgins, Larry Rose, Mike Wood
they are human, we all make mistakes. do you think these guys don't make mistakes? I have not seen the game but so I can't comment if there was a mistake or not just generalizing. we can't let any Fans come into this thread and blanket their frustration to all the officials on this web.IMO
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

From a biased observer:

Yes it was intentional by rule, but my experience in coaching is that a lot of room is granted in these late game situations by the officials.

The longhorn fans are mad at the official who administered the last free throw that Law missed on purpose, because they feel that he was still in the lane at the time the "shot" was taken and Atchley (#32 for Texas) couldn't get around the ref to block out the guy who ultimately got the rebound and the shot off at the buzzer. Any thoughts on this? The official was out in front of the backboard when he threw the ball to the shooter/Law for the free throw. Since we won, I don't care; just interested in knowing the procedure. Obviously it was a rare and smart play that caught everyone in burnt orange and white by surprise.

Thanks.

Go Horns!!!

Last edited by ATXCoach; Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 12:03pm.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:21pm

I'd like to hear some debate on this. Please don't take me asking about it for criticizing these guys because it isn't. So here's the statement.

1) The rules should be tweaked so that strategic fouls should be allowed with a lesser penalty than what is charged for an intentional.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They are allowed with the normal penalty. The best strategy I've heard is a coach telling his players to get the ball even if you have to foul to do it.
You're more likely to get an actual steal; and you're more likely to actually get the foul you're trying to get. And, you're far less likely to get an intentional foul.