The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Does anybody think that I should be real excited about working my high school game tonight when all the professional and nearly all of the college games have been cancelled? Is it appropriate or not?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Be proud that these teams and your officiating staff are continuing with the contest. I don't feel that this is in any way a showing of disregard for what happened, but is proof that we are a resilient society which will not be shut down or otherwise altered by evil and terrorism. Playing is a positive statement!

BTW: A big reason that college and pro teams aren't playing this week is the fact that there are too many issues regarding travel that may not be resolved by this weekend, and also the fact that most players wish to be with their families during this time. These aren't really issues for local contests.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Friday Night Play

We had our game on Fri. night. Before the game the AD's told us that there would be a moment of silence, preceeded by bagpipes playing amazing grace. During this, both teams knelt in the same end zone, holding hands with each other while one of the coaches led them in prayer. The home head coach then told the players "Fellows, we are all Americans, and we have all suffered losses this week, but it's Friday night and we're playing football so let's go out there and have a good game."
These were two inner city schools with, I'm sure, all the usual problems, but one of the best games I have done with regards to sportsmanship.
There are a lot of educators out there who are heros too!!!
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

By kneeling, it became a Christian prayer, with a total disregard for those players, and fans, of other faiths. Will some people never learn what this nation, and our Constitution, stands for?

Bob
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
By kneeling, it became a Christian prayer, with a total disregard for those players, and fans, of other faiths. Will some people never learn what this nation, and our Constitution, stands for?
Protestants praying with Catholics.

Muslims praying with Jews.

Blacks praying with whites.

Republicans praying with Democrats.

Players praying with opponents.

Officials praying with coaches.

Parents praying with children.

Workers praying with co-workers.

Strangers praying with strangers.

Friends praying with friends.

No one is forced to kneel, stand, or participate during any prayer. Just because I choose to pray, doesn't mean you have to. Just because you choose not to, doesn't mean that I can't. We each choose which path we will follow. We each have that freedom and that guarantee.

I hope you now understand what this nation, and our Constitution, stands for.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I dont know and maybe I missed something here but kneeling does not make a Christian prayer.

I guess I am clueless but...
Dont members of the Jewish faith kneel in prayer?
Dont Muslims face east and kneel in prayer?
And if I remember my travels to the far east I think I have seen those who believe in Shinto and Buhdaism kneel as well.

I think that when youre knighted in England you kneel... and that is probably the way it is in many other monarchies.

Bottom line.... kneeling is a sign of respect and humility!
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Kelvin:

You are clueless. Jews do not kneel when praying. As far as England, they have a state church. All monarchies have state religions. WE, thank God and our Constitution, do not. From what I've seen of Muslims, Buddhists, Shintos, etc., they don't kneel. They prostrate themselves.

BktBallRef:

When you are asked to kneel in prayer, that makes it a little different than saying, "Let us pray, each in his or her own way". It was only recently that invocations before football games mentioned Jesus, and public shools were told to cease. I'll bet this one did too. You Christians, for the most part, are totally insensitive to other faiths in public prayer situations.

Maybe if you had someone else's beliefs shoved down your throat constantly, you'd be a little sensitive too. It wasn't too long ago that many areas, including our nation's capitol, had "Blue Laws", whereby most businesses HAD to be closed on Sundays.

I'll match my understanding of the Constitution against yours any time.

Bob

Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe there is a discussion here whether or not Kneeling causes a religious problem. ( I don't know if I'm spelling every thing correctly) To those of who have lost loved ones, friends or acquintances, how you prayed is insignificant. Please keep praying for these families. Stand, kneel, sit, anything. But do something for the people affected by this tragedy.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Sad day

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
I can't believe there is a discussion here whether or not kneeling causes a religious problem. (I don't know if I'm spelling every thing correctly) To those of who have lost loved ones, friends or acquintances, how you pray is insignificant. Please keep praying for these families. Stand, kneel, sit, anything. But do something for the people affected by this tragedy.
I couldn't agree more, Steve. The Constitution grants us the freedom to pray. It also grants us the freedom to not pray, if we so desire. Whether one is standing, kneeling, sitting, or lying flat on their back, is of no consequence. The most important thing is that these two teams of players and coaches agreed to pray and worship, each in his own way. To say that kneeling to pray is reserved for Christians is about as stupid as anything I've ever read. Wait until the Muslims find out that they're praying to God instead of Allah, everytime they hit their knees.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Kelvin:

You are clueless. Jews do not kneel when praying. As far as England, they have a state church. All monarchies have state religions. WE, thank God and our Constitution, do not. From what I've seen of Muslims, Buddhists, Shintos, etc., they don't kneel. They prostrate themselves.

BktBallRef:

When you are asked to kneel in prayer, that makes it a little different than saying, "Let us pray, each in his or her own way". It was only recently that invocations before football games mentioned Jesus, and public shools were told to cease. I'll bet this one did too. You Christians, for the most part, are totally insensitive to other faiths in public prayer situations.

Maybe if you had someone else's beliefs shoved down your throat constantly, you'd be a little sensitive too. It wasn't too long ago that many areas, including our nation's capitol, had "Blue Laws", whereby most businesses HAD to be closed on Sundays.

I'll match my understanding of the Constitution against yours any time.

Bob

Bob,

I am having a hard time figuring out what religious beliefs you DO hold. You are sounding atheist to me. Or perhaps Wiccan. I certainly hope that God opens your eyes and heart to see that Jesus is the ONLY way to salvation, and that you will come to accept him into your heart as such.

As far as having "someone else's beliefs shoved down your throat constantly", I have the same problem with drunks, homosexuals, drug pushers, etc., who are always pushing their "beliefs" down my throat at work, on the road, at the game, etc. But, it is America, and we are all free to express our beliefs.

Emmett
Hinesville