The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

We have an Official in the Area that:

Has basically run his course. Every time I turn around I hear things about this guy. Lets see, he had a streak of 8 consecutive games last year in which he gave a Technical too someone. To start this year he had 5 games in a row with a Technical. Lately, he has thrown out 2 fans and a coach. He *****es and moans that he never does State Tourney games. I wonder why. I usually learn from things that happen, he obviously doesnt and would rather be an attention getter. Talk about officiating with a guy that would put you in a pecuilliar position each night out, if I were his partner I would tell him to shape up or if you dont I wont work with you anymore. Thoughts about this are welcome and would you work with someone like this? Too me he is compounding everything and I believe its time for him to either seek Officiating camp or quit. We dont need this type of behavior from fellow officials. Do We?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

mightyvol,

If you felt this way about me, you should have come to me privately!

Ok, just kidding! I've not come across anybody like this yet.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The worst I've seen is guys who are, shall we say, past their prime.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord
mightyvol,

If you felt this way about me, you should have come to me privately!

Ok, just kidding! I've not come across anybody like this yet.

In all honesty I respect the officials in our area. Ive been doing this nearly 15 years and dont try to step on anyone elses toes. I dont know the guy personally and dont care too. I just think that he is doing an injustice to the profession of officiating and he doesnt know it. Obviously if I knew him I would not stand for his actions and he would know it. I guarantee it.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:25pm
M.A.S.H.

I wouldn't work with anyone like this nor would I worry about him or what he does.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvol
Lets see, he had a streak of 8 consecutive games last year in which he gave a Technical too someone. To start this year he had 5 games in a row with a Technical. Lately, he has thrown out 2 fans and a coach.
And your point????
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Was this official ever give the chance to defend his actions by explaining why he issued the Ts and the ejections? Or are you just going off of what people have said about him?

Have you worked with him personally and can you state specific examples where his actions were not appropriate?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

"We have an Official in the Area that: "

Only ONE? I guess you're not reffing PHS ball in my area.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The worst I've seen is guys who are, shall we say, past their prime.
I don't buy that at all. People don't change and become bad or power-hungry officials just because they get older.

We have some older officials in our group that are past their prime. They still call a good game and they still manage a good game.

We have a couple older officials that don't call a good game and look for trouble. However, they were never top-notch officials when they were younger either.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm just saying that's the worst I've seen. I mean, by this, that I've been fortunate not to officiate with show boats or T-machines.
I've reffed with a few guys who are way past their prime and just can't get up and down the court. They call an "ok" game. They still get games because they're not awful, they're willing to ref, they're available to leave town early for assignments, and there just aren't enough quality refs to retire them yet.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
And your point????

My point is this. Do you think that this is a necessary means of taking care of "business" I would hope not. Any official that seeks to become a better game manager certainly would not use this as part of his criteria. Come on man, you know where Im coming from you arent blind.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
And your point????
Point also being is, How much longer does the State High School League put up with his act until they intervene? They have to have some form of knowledge of whats going on, becuause I received all my information from our Executive Secretary.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyvol
My point is this. Do you think that this is a necessary means of taking care of "business" I would hope not. Any official that seeks to become a better game manager certainly would not use this as part of his criteria. Come on man, you know where Im coming from you arent blind.
So......I take it that you can you explain why none of the technical fouls that he handed out were warranted. Please do so. Maybe then we can give you our feelings.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Mark's point, I think, is that you really didn't say anything about him that is a cause for concern. Sometimes, you're going to have streaks where you have to call technicals on coaches. I'm currently in the midst of a two-game streak.
Now, if there are other things involved (and it sounds like there may be), that's fine. But the comment on the Ts is, by itself, not very informative.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Mark's point, I think, is that you really didn't say anything about him that is a cause for concern. Sometimes, you're going to have streaks where you have to call technicals on coaches. I'm currently in the midst of a two-game streak.
Now, if there are other things involved (and it sounds like there may be), that's fine. But the comment on the Ts is, by itself, not very informative.

I understand, but if I were to get to games 3 -4 with successive T's I would try and find other avenues to take care of business. Not soo sure that a T is always the answer. Communication is a fine line and some officials choose to T....thinking that this is the only way to take care of matters. I choose not too but other do I guess. Thanks for your time. I think this has cleared it up for me.