The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Situation: Girls 7-8-9 rec league, I'm doing my 5th game of my career. Team A has possession in the front court. Team A loses possession, Team B touches but does not control. A1 gains control and dribbles into the back court and attempts a shot at B's goal. I am now new lead and do nothing. Coach A is screaming "over and back". I still do nothing as A1 misses. My partner finally whistles and calls over and back. What is the correct call?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Situation: Girls 7-8-9 rec league, I'm doing my 5th game of my career. Team A has possession in the front court. Team A loses possession, Team B touches but does not control. A1 gains control and dribbles into the back court and attempts a shot at B's goal. I am now new lead and do nothing. Coach A is screaming "over and back". I still do nothing as A1 misses. My partner finally whistles and calls over and back. What is the correct call?
Where did A1 regain control in the FC then dribbled into BC then yes you have Backcourt violation

A1 looses control in FC B1 touches and A1 recovers in BC then no violation.

She was shooting at the other teams basket wow?...\

We've had a couple of lively discussions on Backcourt violations recently see if you can find a coupleof those. Someone else might help me with the specific thread.

[Edited by MN 3 Sport Ref on Jan 16th, 2003 at 03:01 PM]
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

You said that team A loses control in the frontcourt. How did they do that? Remember, you can only lose team control if a try is taken, there is a dead ball or the other team gains team control. Just because the ball gets "loose", there is still team control until one of those things happen.

I think you should concentrate on the difference between team control and player control.

In the case you cited, you said that while in team control, A1 dribbled the ball into backcourt. Even without what happened before this, why wouldn't you call over and back at that point?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:14pm
Esteemed Participant

OK Cyber, here's the deal...YES you had over-and-back, as soon as the player dribbled from her frontcourt into her backcourt...you 0r your partner should have called it right away for two reasons: 1)it's the correct call, and 2) it saves the confused player from the possible further embarrassment of scoring a basket for the other team!!It's a good question, and a play that would take many experienced vets by surprise, so don't worry about it, just learn from it...
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
OK Cyber, here's the deal...YES you had over-and-back, as soon as the player dribbled from her frontcourt into her backcourt...you 0r your partner should have called it right away for two reasons: 1)it's the correct call, and 2) it saves the confused player from the possible further embarrassment of scoring a basket for the other team!!It's a good question, and a play that would take many experienced vets by surprise, so don't worry about it, just learn from it...
I had it happen in camp last summer... boys varsity. Both partners took off the other direction. I stopped, looked at the benches to make sure I knew which way they were supposed to go.... and then called over and back from the lead
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
It's a good question, and a play that would take many experienced vets by surprise, so don't worry about it, just learn from it...
Here's my embarassing story. Hopefully, CyberRef won't feel so bad after reading it. This happened this year in the first half of a girls varsity HS game.

A1 dribbling in frontcourt. Ball is knocked loose by B1. A1 dives to the floor. A1 gains possession while lying flat on her stomach. Several girls now go to the floor trying to tie her up.

Now, what do we always say? Anticipate the play, not the call. So in my head, I'm going thru my checklist. Standing is a travel. Rolling is a travel. Watch for the held ball. Watch for defense diving on top of A1. As soon as a whistle blows, get between opponents. . .

So what happens? A1 rolls the ball away from the mass of humanity to A2. I'm thinking "Wow, no violation, no foul. Cool."

A2 takes a couple dribbles, when I happen to notice that she's dribbling in front of her own bench. We're in the first half, so that means. . . That's right, she's in the backcourt!! Crap.

Tweet! Violation, about 4 seconds after A2 received the pass. Made me mad that I missed it, but I felt that I had to grab it, even if it was late. Coach yipped about the late whistle, but partner said two words to her and she nodded and sat down.

Grrrr. Hate it when something like that happens.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I want to know those 2 words!!!
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
I want to know those 2 words!!!
"Shutthef***up"!

No,wait. That's one word.